Looking for a starter set......

What's Hot
Hey guys,

Looking for a half decent starter electric guitar and amp for a 7 year old. Ideally looking for a Squier Tele, or something simple with good tuning stability. I've got a budget of about £180, any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Rory
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    edited September 2017
    Maybe start with a mini strat (comfier body shape) and light gauge strings. 

I learned on a cheapo classical and although the board is wide, the strings are more comfortable to fret. 

I can imagine a 7yr old being put off by the pain of building up calluses!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Those Squier starter packages look like fair value for money but the amplifier isn't much cop. Budget to replace/upgrade it within a year.

Does it absolutely have to be an electric guitar? A ukulele or a mandolin might make an easier start for small hands.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Ukulele at that age in my opinion 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Those Squier starter packages look like fair value for money but the amplifier isn't much cop. Budget to replace/upgrade it within a year.

Does it absolutely have to be an electric guitar? A ukulele or a mandolin might make an easier start for small hands.

Doubt a 7yr old will be swapping valves and such.  =)

Uke is a great shout.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Start as you mean to go on. Plenty of young kids can learn on a full size guitar.
    Besides, overcoming difficulties is very character building. It'll stand a child in good stead for when they face the pressure and hurly-burly of modern life.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835

Why not get an acoustic for starters?

A nice small body parlour guitar or something. You could always fit a pickup at a later date.

• Thanks guys! I think I might create my own 'package'! A Squier Bullet Mustang and a little Marshall should do it. I think I'm with @Sassafras on this one, I learnt on a full size left handed Les Paul copy strung for a right hander! Thanks for the advice folks
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    Those bullet Mustangs do look good for what they are. At least if the child doesn't take to it you should have something you could get a decent tune out of.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540

Having recently had this dilemma (I have a 5 and 7 yr old wanting a guitar), and had them try out the Squier Minis - they are cracking value for money. Not too sure of the amp, however. A uke is a good shout, but if they want to play electric tunes, then why not keep their interest up with an electric instrument. At that age, it should be about fun firstly, and appropriateness second.

Oh, and whilst Ive not picked one up, the mini Epiphone LP's look even better value - you could pickup one of those and a Blackstar Fly3 for your budget, just.

Good luck,

Adam

• @Sesh I'm not going to lie, the thought had crossed my mind! They look great
    Oh, and the Ibanez Mikro's - I would truly be happy with one myself :)
  • Sesh said:
    Those bullet Mustangs do look good for what they are. At least if the child doesn't take to it you should have something you could get a decent tune out of.
    It's actually a pretty good method of sneaking another purchase into the house. Not that I'm suggesting the OP has any such ... well... 
  • I bought my 8 y.o a Blackstar Fly which is great. Word of warning though - mine was put off as soon as she realised that guitars hurt fingers.

Possibly a daft question - but am I right in thinking that string tension on the shorter scale guitars is less than full scale? And would dropping to 8's (sacrilege around here, I know) improve a childs fingers' comfort further? - They can worry about tone and string thickness later ;)

Adam

• Sesh said:
    It's actually a pretty good method of sneaking another purchase into the house. Not that I'm suggesting the OP has any such ... well... 
    Thankfully, my wife has stopped asking. I was starting to run out of decent blags as to why I have a new Guitar/Pedal. It was our first anniversary yesterday and we haven't fallen out about gear yet!
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    edited September 2017
    I have a thomann mini strat guitar and a Marshall MG something or other i could let you have for far less than half your budget depending where you are. Shoot me a PM if of interest. My eldest never really took to it and its gathering dust.
    EDIT its a Harley Benton

• andypandyp Frets: 332
    I got our 6 year old son a 3/4 size Squier Strat back in January and had these same concerns in the run up to buying that. He's been at lessons every week since then and wants to pick it up most nights after school and at weekends. It seems just the right size for him (he's now nearly 7 but not big for his age by any means). If you've got a budget of £180, I'd really recommend one of these Strats and a wee Fly amp like suggested. I looked for a second hand one initially but there just didn't seem to be many around and most sold for new type money that I could see.

Andy
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    What's the tuning/string combination on a 3/4 guitar?
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Young children have very small fingers.  As a result it is difficult to fret a G major chord, the D major is manageable but it is hard work.  Three quarter sized guitars are not a lot smaller than normal instruments.  As has been said before, a Uke might be a better starter instrument.  Until they grow a bit.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• I'd also recommend a Uke but the Squier Bullet Mustangs are bloody great. I've just done something ridiculous with mine---I like it so much I'm going to double it's cost with fancy new pickups!