Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Recorded Guitar Mistakes / Gaffs

What's Hot

Comments

• Mike Oldfield makes two or three obvious mistakes on In Dulci Jubilo. I know it's a pretty tricky guitar part but every Christmas I wonder why he didn't just re do it!
    Link to my trading feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lixarto said:
    The entire discography of Pete Doherty.

Baby Smables yes, but Libertines hell no! That debut is one of the best debuts of last 20 years.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I have a Lonnie Mack blues album on vinyl. It's great fun and the best track is a duet with SRV. I haven't played it in decades (!) so I can't recall who it was, but one of them totally balls-up the bit where they come in! Great energy to the track though so I guess they thought, what the hell ...... next!

I have a great Tangerine dream double live album, just 4 tracks, one on each side. I forget the name of the track off the top of my head, but on one of them they play the whole piece (over 20 minutes), and cock up the very last chord! (sounds like an extra bum note amongst all the others). I can't believe they didn't fix it before releasing.
  • Not guitar but I've wondered if Jon Lords intro to Deep Purple's Speed King contains a howler, and then a brilliant recovery.

At 1:10

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4999
    lustycourtier;171381" said:
    Lixarto said:

The entire discography of Pete Doherty.Baby Smables yes, but Libertines hell no! That debut is one of the best debuts of last 20 years.
    Surely there must have been some good new bands in the last 20 years?
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618

Lixarto said:
    The entire discography of Pete Doherty.

Baby Smables yes, but Libertines hell no! That debut is one of the best debuts of last 20 years.
    I know you are wrong because I have ears.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Skarloey said:

There's loads of non-guitar ones too, like at the end of "I Started Something" by The Smiths- you can hear someone on the studio monitor saying something like "Is that alright Stephen?". Maybe they were going for the spontaneous 'deliberate mistake' vibe like you get on some Beatles/ Zep tracks.  
    I never noticed that! But you are absolutely right. Wikipedia says:

The track features an outtake during the fade-out at the end, with Morrissey asking "Okay Stephen (Street, the Producer) shall we do that one again?"

• Panama_Jack666Panama_Jack666 Frets: 2989
    edited February 2014

This is pretty brutal...

EDIT - Just a video recording, it's not a proper recording. But it's worth a watch/listen!
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    chrisj1602;171350" said:
    I read there are a load of wrong bass notes on The Long and Winding Road (played by John Lennon) but I've not bothered listening to it since so I don't know!
    The whole bass part in that song is a bit of a disaster.

If ever a part screamed " I can't be bothered with this" . Lennon's bass part is it.
    Hopeless!

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Always felt there was a big Kerlunk in the bass part of the 2nd side of Dark Side of the Moon.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited February 2014
    The Clash Guns of Brixton. Mick Jones fluffed a couple of notes on the bridge where he's playing chords and making fairly heavy use of the whammy.

But I forgive him cause he's Mick Jones

Keith Richards Satisfaction. Famously a demo recording and the guitar part is largely a guide for what might have been a horn section. That's why his timing coming back to the riff on the chorusses is off and you can hear the fuzz pedal clicking on.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Skarloey said:
    Black Sabbath "Snowblind"- I reckon that's a bit out of tune too where he plays the arpeggio part of the main riff. 

What about Iron Man which is clearly 2 sessions spliced together?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • On Pearl Jam's Benaroya Hall live recording, the solo for "All Or None" has a absolutely enormous clanger in it. But, the way Mike McCready rescues it gives me shivers to the point where I prefer that version. It's a beautiful accident.
  • When I saw U2 the first time - Wembley Stadium, on the Popmart tour - Edge did hit a clanger of a wrong note in the solo to Until The End of the World, which seemed to really hang in the air and echo around the stadium :)

Different with live stuff though, innit? It's the recorded howlers that get left in that are more interesting, IMHO.

• Humble Pie Fillmore recordings and Robben Ford's Truth.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Different with live stuff though, innit? It's the recorded howlers that get left in that are more interesting, IMHO.
    I saw a fairly recent interview with Michael Schenker and Mike McReady who @roundthebend has just mentioned and they're talking about UFO's "Strangers in the Night" and Schenker is truly embarrassed by his mistakes on "Rock Bottom" -- and McReady is incredulous.  I can understand why.

If I were ever able to play like that I'd think I would have reached the apex of what I'd like to be able to play.  And there's the guy who made it saying, "well, it wasn't very good that night, there were better shows."  I know both can be true but it kind of hit it home to me:  one guy's night of sloppy playing and mistakes would be my ultimate guitar achievement. 

Great track, mistakes n all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Steve Vai at the end of the Crossroads movie makes some real howlers, can't believe they left them in ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I remember the drummer from my old band going to see Paul McCartney and apparently Macca screwed up some song ( Blackbird IIRC) so badly he had to restart. Our drummer thought this was brilliant and a reason never to feel bad about making a mistake ever again.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    RocknRollDave said: Edge did hit a clanger of a wrong note in the solo to Until The End of the World, which seemed to really hang in the air and echo around the stadium :)
    Nothing to do with the 583 delay units he has switched on?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Here's one that was 'tuned' before release but I was there and remember it well...