Debugging a ROG Tri Vibe kit...

What's Hot
Bit of a long shot, but having problems with a musikding tri vibe kit (it's actually a TH Custom board/kit) and wondered if anyone had any experience with these puppies?  The rate LED is pulsing correctly, so I'm assuming the LFO section is functional.  It's passing some dry signal in the phase and univibe-ish modes, but hearing nothing in vibrato mode.  Can take some voltage measurements on the ICs if that will help...I'm guessing the LM13600 (or something connected to it) is the problem.

Thanks in advance!
New fangled trading feedback link right here!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540

Ive built this circuit, but from the schematic here http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/runoffgroove-tri-vibe.html

I don't know enough to be able to help you, but the folk at tagboard effects are very good with their advice. Perhaps looking over there, if you haven't  already.

By the way, I really like the sound of it :)

Cheers,

Adam

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Th custom have their own section on the Madbean forum.  You'd probably get better responses there.  
  • Adam_MD said:
    Th custom have their own section on the Madbean forum.  You'd probably get better responses there.  
    Cheers.  I'll get posting over there and see what I can glean.
  • The vibrato mode is wet signal only, so the fault must be in the Phase-shifting path.
    Check that the ICs are seated correctly if in sockets (and that any pins aren't bent underneath the IC) and are correctly orientated.
    I've built a couple of Tri Vibes and it's a very nice effect indeed. I'll have a look at the schematics and see if I can think of any likely places for things to go awry.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • Ok, the fault must be  around the 13600. If the IC is fine, check that you haven't missed out a component, used a via hole (used to connect the two sides of a double sided PCB) instead of a component hole (it's easily done), or that you haven't got any short circuits.
    Good luck!
    I said maybe.....
  • Ok, the fault must be  around the 13600. If the IC is fine, check that you haven't missed out a component, used a via hole (used to connect the two sides of a double sided PCB) instead of a component hole (it's easily done), or that you haven't got any short circuits.
    Good luck!
    Thanks @lasermonkey ;

I'm fairly certain it's in or around the 13600, too.  I've not built any modulation kits before, so this is a bit of a step up in complexity.  I'll double-check for any solder whiskers/bridges and see what I can find.  I did measure voltages on that IC, and these are the numbers...

approx 6 (wiggling from 5.90 to 6.05)
    approx 6 (wiggling from 5.85 to 6.00)

approx 5 (wiggling from 4.90 to 5.00)
    approx 5 (wiggling from 4.95 to 5.05)

...but I have no idea if these are "normal" or otherwise.

Cheers again
  • SOLVED

Just plumped for the nuclear option, and reflowed the solder at every pad on the board.  Everything's coming up swirly!

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions, guys.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Excellent news! I hope you enjoy the Tri-Vibe. 
    I said maybe.....
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    From the brief play I had with mine, it has some great sounds in it - though mine is still in the bare alu enclosure with marker pen labels!!!

Adam