Marshall Cab ID help

not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
Hi all,

Sadly the bass player in one of my bands passed away a few months ago (some of you might have read a thread of mine in Speakers Corner). Anyway his widow has asked me to look at his old gear and see if anything is worth selling or just dumping.

He's got as load of no name cabs and monitors, but also this old Marshall cab....can anyone ID this (and if possible suggest a value?)

http://i63.tinypic.com/206c0w4.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/29aqsr5.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    edited September 2017
    What speaker(s) does it have? Try not to take the back off to find out if you can avoid it, the screws are often rusted in and will chew up or snap off if you try to undo them. Undo the jack plate and see if you can see enough through the hole to tell, with a torch. If the side handles are bolted on rather than rivetted, you'll probably have more luck taking one of those off.

Without any further info I would guess it may be a 1x18" bass cab - model 1988 I think. These are only rated for 50W (or possibly 100W later in the production run) so not suitable for 'modern' bass, but it's possible the driver has been replaced since they often got blown.

If so - even if it's all-original - it's not hugely valuable since 1x18"s are not popular now, and especially not very low-power-rated ones. I have seen one that was re-baffled as a 4x10" though, which would be more useful since that could then be used for guitar as well.

It's definitely worth *something* even in the worst case if it's a 1x18" with a blown speaker though, so don't just dump it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks, good tip with the not just trying to take the back off, I would have rushed in with my screwdriver,

I'll arrange to go and have a good look at it.
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    edited September 2017
    Unusual cab. Looks like an Artiste cab to me, circa 1973. It could be a 2x15, 2x12, or a 4x12, maybe even an 8x10. You will have to open it up to find out. The logo position is unusual though. When the Marshall badge is in the top corner it is usually for PA.

The back should come off easily enough, but yeah unscrew the jack socket first. The wiring is tight and you don't want to break the speaker terminals by tugging hard on them.
    Looks like an Artiste cab to me, circa 1973. It could be a 2x15, 2x12, or a 4x12. You will have to open it up to find out.
    I thought those had the logo horizontal roughly in the middle, and skid plates on the top. The angled logo on this one makes me think 1x18".

We will have to wait and see!

The back should come off easily enough, but yeah unscrew the jack socket first.
    Maybe, but looking at the rust on that screw head I wouldn't be too sure… I've snapped plenty, and I do use a hand screwdriver and go carefully. They always break level with the top of the batten, which is a real pain.

The other reason for removing the jack is that it gives you something to pull the back off without trying to lever it out with a screwdriver, and chewing up the vinyl.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Yeah I edited my post re the logo. It's an odd one for sure, but defintely a cool cab.

The serial is also odd if its as late as 73. The plastic corners maybe later additions. Need more photos really.

The serial is also odd if its as late as 73. The plastic corners maybe later additions.
    I think they could be, it looks like they're held on with screws not rivets, and the one next to the logo is on the wrong way round :).

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sorry all the photos are in the wrong orientation!
    edited September 2017
    Well, it can't be a 1x18" because it has a horizontal divider .

Maybe a 2x15"…

Unfortunately it looks like the handles are rivetted, so if you can't see enough through the jack hole, you'll need to take the back off.

• It's a 71 with plastic corners added later. You can date it by the check grill and metal handles. You only see them together in 71.

I think it could just be an early Artiste cab and maybe the first ones just came with the logo in the corner instead of the middle? I've got a 71 Marshall catalogue and can't see it in there.

Could be a 2x12, 2x15, or 4x12. Best case scenario is a 4x12.

It looks in nice condition so should be worth a few quid. The only problem is the shipping cost if you are going to sell it. Measure it up and get some quotes before pulling the trgiger on it. You might be surprised how expensive it is.
    edited September 2017
    In the 71 catalogue there is a model 1984 cab and its a 4x15. The logo is in the top left corner, but it does not have the sloping baffle. Closest thing I can see in there.
  • I wonder if it was a custom order? Explains the sticker instead of a proper Marshall stock number tag?
    edited September 2017
    If you have the latest Doyle book have a look on page 108. An advert from 71 with this exact cab.

It is an artist cab. (called artist and not artiste?) "Model 2041 - Two piece reverb amp with separate speaker enclosure." The cab does not seem to have its own model number.

I'll upload a photo tomorrow. Doesn't say what speakers are inside it but its  a 50w setup so maybe a 2x12?
  • If you have the latest Doyle book have a look on page 108. An advert from 71 with this exact cab.

It is an artist cab. (called artist and not artiste?) "Model 2041 - Two piece reverb amp with separate speaker enclosure." The cab does not seem to have its own model number.

I'll upload a photo tomorrow. Doesn't say what speakers are inside it but its  a 50w setup so maybe a 2x12?
    Thanks. I've yet to go round and have a closer look, but yes please upload the photo from the book, that'd be great. 
  • found a pic online. different ad but same rig:

Good find - that's definitely it. The good news is that as a 2x12" it should sound good for guitar, even if the Artiste speakers aren't that highly regarded. Whether it's worth a lot is another question...

Ironically my first valve Marshall was a 50W Artiste head, so this is the cab that should have gone with it! I actually had a 2045, bought separately but which I always assumed was the 'right' cab.

edited September 2017
    It probably sounds like a beast! The artiste combos usually came with T1886 speakers, and the ad says its the same speakers, so I would expect to find a pair of those inside.

I'm not a fan of those speakers, just because they never work properly.

The cab itself is very cool though, definitely rare. I might even be interested in buying myself. Whereabouts are you / is it?

Loaded with a pair of T1281 it would be a monster. 
  • @Bygone_Tones the cab is in Stratford-upon-Avon. I'm near Coventry. 
  • Let me know when/if you decide on a price Im a little bit interested. Collection is not a problem. If it does not have T1886's Im even more interested. Its an early one so theres a slim chance it might have T1221's, T1511's or T1281's instead. All 3 of those are nice speakers (when they are in good order).
    edited September 2017
    Out of interest do you have any photos of the "no name" cabs? I might be able to ID them for you and see if anything is valuable.