Gibson laminated boards - did the 2013 models have them?

What's Hot
And does it even matter?

I'm eyeing up a 2013 Trad Pro II Goldtop that I'm gonna go and try over the next few days. Were Gibson still using the laminated boards in 2013? I've read conflicting info so would love some clarification. 

And I say above, does it even matter?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    edited September 2017
    Maybe, maybe not. Don't forget around these times they were also using baked maple boards and richlite so it may not even have a Rosewood board at all! 

IMO it doesn't matter, the two piece thickness board is visually unnoticeable and you can't feel it and people pay a high premium for baked maple now! I don't like the feel of richlite though. 

From memory, the Trad Pro 2 was built with the USA box shifters (namely Guitar centre)  and was imported over here when they had excess stock - Andertons were knocking them out at £1399. 

I would say almost certainly it has a two piece board but probably Rosewood. In fact, it's only very recently they have been using "now with one piece Fretboard!" In their marketing so my guess is they have used two for quite a while without telling anyone 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14210
    edited September 2017 tFB Trader
    The only true way I know to tell is to remove the top nut and see if the board is solid or lam - it was a case in 2012 that many Gibson's had a lam board - I think we tend to turn our noses up to such changes, but can we hear the difference on an A v B test then I'm not so sure - so each guitar needs to be judged accordingly - Not so sure when Gibson stopped this policy as a) they never really announced they started it and b) never really announced they had stopped it - which effectively means they can get away with what they need to 
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    edited September 2017
    Gibson claimed that they were cross layering the two parts of the laminated fretboards, giving the whole thing more strength, but I saw a post on the MLP forum where a guy was doing a complete makeover on a 2012 Les Paul, had removed the fretboard and separated the two layers, and pointed out that the two parts weren't cross layered at all.  It may have been Historic Makeovers, but I don't recall exactly.

I don't know if it matters, but I do know that saying one thing and doing another does.  Henry J is actually on record saying that the laminated fretboard idea was part of Gibson's drive to "improve" their guitars.

4:30 - 5:50
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiyQR_ygBjY&feature=youtu.be&t=270

There are plenty of guitars out there with one piece fretboards, if the laminated fretboard issue will bother you.
  • I have a Trad Pro 2, I bought it new. It is a Rosewood board and the frets have nibs, no idea if the boards laminated or not (and it doesn't really matter to me if it is or not). 

Check the push/push pots are all functioning properly. I had one fail, the coil split for the neck pick-up was stuck in the up/split position, Andertons replaced it under warranty  
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    The laminated board on 2012 Historics has no impact on resale value.
    Somebody needs to debunk this myth by starting a new thread called Let's Debunk this Myth Now,

Sellers on ebay who say "Purchased from ***** in 2013" are just being chatty and are as innocent as the baby Jesus. Anybody can forget to upload the serial number image.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a Trad Pro 2, I bought it new. It is a Rosewood board and the frets have nibs, no idea if the boards laminated or not (and it doesn't really matter to me if it is or not). 

Check the push/push pots are all functioning properly. I had one fail, the coil split for the neck pick-up was stuck in the up/split position, Andertons replaced it under warranty  
    2013 model?
  • I don't believe it has a laminated board, I have been and checked the spec and there's no mention of the rosewood being 'layered'. Gibson staff have told me before that when they have closely examined vintage LPs from the fifties they have come across original examples with laminate fingerboards before.
  • Morning,

Ive owned a 2012 Custom Shop LP, as G4Y mentioned the only way to tell is to pop off the nut and look at the grain. In my case it was a laminated rosewood board and the grain in the layers were both running the length of the neck, confirmed when the nut was removed.

I could not tell the difference in playability or tone from a single piece board when A/B'd.

Hope that helps

TC

2013 model?
    Yes. Bought in Sept 2013. 
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    I've laminated a fretboard on a build I did, it still sounded as good as I expected and I'd do it again no problem

My problem is gibson didn't tell anyone to start and a vos spec Lp is bloody expensive, I would want a whole piece of wood for that money
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665

two pieces of rosewood laminated together will be stronger and more stable than a single piece.  The same is true of any guitar component and people didn't like it when they applied this logic to les paul bodies in the 70's

The big question I had at the time is how they cope with a re-fret.... but I think they join is deep enough to ensure it wouldn't cause any issue

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:

two pieces of rosewood laminated together will be stronger and more stable than a single piece.  The same is true of any guitar component and people didn't like it when they applied this logic to les paul bodies in the 70's

The big question I had at the time is how they cope with a re-fret.... but I think they join is deep enough to ensure it wouldn't cause any issue

I only used about 1mm laminate, it was to make a figured madagascan board a tad thicker, I hate wasting rosewood, 
    It'll be ok for a refret 

I would think a gibson would be ok too 

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • The thickness of the top layer on my 2012 LP was deep enough not to have a problem with a refret. Both layers were the same thickness from what I could tell.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7333
    edited September 2017
    Gibson Laminated Flooring... 2018 stock just in...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Fender have used a lot of laminated fretboards, so refrets amongst non slab board Fenders should answer at least partly how they cope for refrets.  If multiple refrets are out of the question then modern frets like SS or Evo Gold that don't really wear out could be used.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    WezV said:

Fender have used a lot of laminated fretboards, so refrets amongst non slab board Fenders should answer at least partly how they cope for refrets.  If multiple refrets are out of the question then modern frets like SS or Evo Gold that don't really wear out could be used.

Its part of the reason I was concerned.     Chip out is a danger on any re-fret, but its a controllable one if you know how the fretboard is constructed and how the frets were installed.   You can see that on a veneer board fender.   GIbson's technique is hidden

I often use a little heat on frets to prevent chip out, but I would want to be modify my technique on a laminated board.  That is more difficult when hidden

Sideways fretted fender necks are a closer equivalent..  If you try and pull the frets out, you will get chip out.  But once you know about the fretting technique they used you know you can push them out with a lot less risk.   As they don't look outwardly different to a normal fretting technique some may not realise they need to modify their technique