Telecaster decision. MIM or American special?

What's Hot
adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
I've been offered a Telecaster American special for my les paul studio and quite tempted.

Though also been offered to sell it. So I was thinking what if I buy a MIM standard tele. I quite like the blue ones some places have them on sale for £480 now. and then keep the rest of the money in my pocket. 

Is there a big difference in the 2 guitars?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The wood in the Am Spl ought to be prettier and, possibly, lighter. Some MIM models will be routed under the pickguard for a third pickup. This might be relevant if you plan to modify the guitar.

The stock MIM pickups are the type with steel polepieces and underslung ceramic bar magnets. Hopefully, the semi-American guitar has something nicer.

The relative monetary values of the Tele and LP Studio is open to question. That is entirely a matter for you.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    The wood in the Am Spl ought to be prettier and, possibly, lighter. Some MIM models will be routed under the pickguard for a third pickup. This might be relevant if you plan to modify the guitar.

The stock MIM pickups are the type with steel polepieces and underslung ceramic bar magnets. Hopefully, the semi-American guitar has something nicer.

The relative monetary values of the Tele and LP Studio is open to question. That is entirely a matter for you.
    The studio is a 2016 T.
    I got it for a steal of a price last year but been offered £650 so far for it but i'd need to post it. Do you think I could get more out of it? Studios are weird as some go for peanuts but then I've seen the faded ones go for £600 on ebay so maybe I should hold out. I'd be sad to let it go but I have too many similar guitars now. 

• If you have a firm offer of £650 for the Gibson and can source a Telecaster for less, you could put the cash difference towards a fitted hard case or a pickup upgrade. 

According to the official specifications, recent Am Spl Telecasters come with Texas Special (overwound) single coil pickups. Give these a listen before committing to a purchase or exchange. 

To be honest, the playability on MIM Fenders of the last ten years has been fine. It is always the weight, the pickups and some of the hardware that can let them down. Try several. Find one that plays the way you like. Upgrade the pickups later.

It might be worth locating a pre-owned example of the discontinued Triple Telecaster. Buy it a new pickguard and neck/Rhythm pickup. Use these to replace the original parts. Sell the two "spare" Nocaster style pickups to offset your costs. There is even an argument for converting this model into an Esquire.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    As @Funkfingers said, be wary of the Texas Specials.  Some people like them for some reason - you may be one of them - but those pickups would put me right off.

I'd look at a second hand Mexican Classic Series guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    You should be able to get a US Standard for the around £650
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    rico said:
    You should be able to get a US Standard for the around £650
    I'd still look at a second hand Mexican Classic Series guitar.
  • I'd go for a used MIM telecaster and put use the extra cash on some decent tele pickups. To be fair the MIM bridge isn't bad sounding but an upgrade to the neck pickup would be a good idea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    I'd go for a used MIM telecaster and put use the extra cash on some decent tele pickups. To be fair the MIM bridge isn't bad sounding but an upgrade to the neck pickup would be a good idea.
    ^This. Not much wrong with a MIM Tele, and the stock (ceramic) pickups actually aren't at all bad - I certainly know people who gig with them. Nonetheless, upgrading would improve things for not too much outlay.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    hmm I was thinking if I sold it £650 is about $860 and I am off to the states in 3 weeks maybe I'll find something whilst I am over there.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    edited September 2017
    I tested my MIM Shiflett tele (OK, not really a tele I know) against an Standard Tele Deluxe and couldn't tell much difference in quality when I did so. Certainly not enough to justify the difference in price. I also preferred the flatter fingerboard and bigger frets on the MIM one.

On reflection there are some minor things that could be improved upon. I paid to have a shielded cable fitted from the jack to the switch which has made it as quiet as a mouse. Some of the fret edges are a little sharper than they should be and one of the tuners isn't quite as smooth as it should be.

But these are minor things IMHO and definitely don't justify the price difference.
  • Done well to get £650 for a studio, i have one for sale at the moment, best studio i have owned and its less than that, and i thought i had priced it maybe a little steep? who knows how the market place goes 
    Done well to get £650 for a studio, i have one for sale at the moment, best studio i have owned and its less than that, and i thought i had priced it maybe a little steep? who knows how the market place goes 
    Prices seem to have gone a bit mad on ebay lately. Except when you want to sell it seems.

Les Paul juniors are going for £500-£600, when you could pick them up for £300-£350 not long ago, Les Paul specials £700 range. used to find them for £500.

The only cheap ones SG specials so many of them about, also I have come to the conclusion that that wine red colour for studios must be the least popular as there always loads of them around. 
  • yeah, i do think a lot of those prices are speculative at times. if i could sell my Studio for £575 i would be happy 
    I think it's fair as when it was new it was '£1200'  I haven't sold it yet. I still might keep it. 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Someone sold a nice looking studio on here for £400 very recently!
    Oh I definitely like the Fretboard's prices. I bought 2 of my last 3 guitars on here.