NBAD x2

What's Hot
MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
edited September 2017 in Bass
So, after the Ashdown I bought packed up and went back for a refund, I found another listing for an Ampeg PF350 head and made an offer on that, which was accepted. Took a while to arrive (as per my thread in Off Topic), but it is a fantastic little amp and sounds great.

However... The very next week, an Ampeg SVT450 head was listed, collection only from half-a-mile away from my house. Now, as much as I understand that it's not the original valve job, and doesn't offer a huge amount more than the PF except for graphic EQ and a few more watts... I just couldn't resist throwing bid in. Ended up winning that one too!

So now I have the little PF as a great home practice or rehearsal amp (headphones, aux in and no speaker connection needed are all great features for home use), and the SVT for showing off at gigs!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    I think I have the right Ampeg knob to replace your missing Master on the SVT450, I'll have a look and PM you if so.

The 450 is actually a cleverly repackaged B2R - which is a very solid and powerful-sounding amp - in the same sort of way as the PF350 is the same preamp as the Micro VR, except that the whole amp is the same. Given the somewhat questionable build quality of the new valve SVTs, their tendency to eat expensive 6550s and their colossal weight, I'd rather have the 450.

My guess is that you'll find that even though it's only a few more watts on paper, the 450 is much louder than the PF - just be careful with the speaker :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    I think I have the right Ampeg knob to replace your missing Master on the SVT450, I'll have a look and PM you if so.

The 450 is actually a cleverly repackaged B2R - which is a very solid and powerful-sounding amp - in the same sort of way as the PF350 is the same preamp as the Micro VR, except that the whole amp is the same. Given the somewhat questionable build quality of the new valve SVTs, their tendency to eat expensive 6550s and their colossal weight, I'd rather have the 450.

My guess is that you'll find that even though it's only a few more watts on paper, the 450 is much louder than the PF - just be careful with the speaker :).
    Very kind of you, thank you!

The SVT450 did alright in the rehearsal room the other night - I had it at about two-thirds volume (into the 8ohm cab) because the guitarist kept asking me to turn it up; I'm sure it had nothing to do with him standing directly in front of his dual terror, with two Klones going into it! I engaged the limiter though, and crept it down when I could. I'll be taking the PF350 along this week though as the studio has no backline, so I'm trying to cut down the four trips to/from the car at each end...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom