Cab speaker extension cable

What's Hot
Can somebody just make sure I'm getting the right thing...

Im going down a pre-amp/power-amp route plugged into a cab but i'm holding out for the right cab. For now I just want to plug it into the speaker in my combo, only the speaker lead on the combo is about 2 inches long so i'm after an extension lead that is male 1 end to plug into the speaker out on the power amp and female the other end so to plug the male speaker's cable in to.

I have found this but am unsure as to the conductor size. There are 2 options, 2x1.5mm and 2x2.5mm. Does it matter which I get?

https://www.designacable.com/musician-leads/head-to-cab-leads/van-damme-studio-grade-2x2-5mm-jack-to-extension-socket-speaker-lead.html

Annoyingly I have speaker cables... Does a simple female to female adapter exist that I could use to connect the two male cables together? I tried looking and google just throws up a planet waves one that says it isn't suitable for speaker cables!

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    edited September 2017
    You can get the 1.5mm, it's plenty for a guitar amp.

Or there's this... http://www.gear4music.com/Books-DVD-and-Sheet-Music/Neutrik-NA3JJ-635mm-Stereo-Locking-Female-Jack-Coupler/NS8?

It's not much cheaper than the cable, but it's the only one I would trust for a speaker connection. As you can see it has the same type of Neutrik locking sockets.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630

I used two jack sockets soldered pin to pin (actually had up to 6 of the buggers so I could tap scopes, meters, loads etc in)

Not pretty but WAY more reliable than line jack sockets (except the Nukey one!)

Could pop one in the post if you like.

Dave.

• Thank you both :) I have PM'd you Dave

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• Neutrik do a locking socket. I made up a few cables for the same reason, still have them
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    I'd be very careful about using an extension M-F jack cable for a speaker, just in case it gets pulled out accidentally; there could be a risk of frying the amp if the wrong pin touches the wrong bit.

A male at the amp end to trailing female (locking, as suggested) for the combo speaker to connect to would probably be the best.

Incidentally, just now I'm using a Markbass head in the amp bay of a combo whose amp was faulty, but I didn't need an extension to do that.
    prowla said:
    I'd be very careful about using an extension M-F jack cable for a speaker, just in case it gets pulled out accidentally; there could be a risk of frying the amp if the wrong pin touches the wrong bit.

A male at the amp end to trailing female (locking, as suggested) for the combo speaker to connect to would probably be the best.
    Exactly that, which is one reason I would only trust those Neutriks. The other reason is that it's the only line socket I know of with proper contacts that will take speaker current, and no dodgy rivetting inside or anything.

If you're making up your own cable, always connect the ring contact to the sleeve contact as well - that roughly halves the chance of any failure since it more or less eliminates a bad contact in the ground side.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    You can get the 1.5mm, it's plenty for a guitar amp.

Or there's this... http://www.gear4music.com/Books-DVD-and-Sheet-Music/Neutrik-NA3JJ-635mm-Stereo-Locking-Female-Jack-Coupler/NS8?

It's not much cheaper than the cable, but it's the only one I would trust for a speaker connection. As you can see it has the same type of Neutrik locking sockets.
    Bump / a hijacking of this thread. I’m looking to purchase something to extend the speaker cable so I can attach an attenuator, the Neutrik female to female adapter is still sold so I could buy that, but would be interested in any other options.

Many thanks

The options for doing it properly are still basically the same - 

1 - replace the speaker cable with one long enough to reach the attenuator.

2 - a speaker extension cable with a Neutrik socket and preferably Neutrik plug.

3 - the Neutrik female-female adaptor and a second speaker cable.

4 - a box with two good jacks and a second speaker cable.

But - if you’re *only* going to use it at low volume - so the attenuator is always turned down more than about 6dB - then you can get away with much more of a lash-up, since the attenuator will provide a load on the amp even if something on the speaker side fails. This isn’t ‘good’ practice really, but it’s safe.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    The options for doing it properly are still basically the same - 

1 - replace the speaker cable with one long enough to reach the attenuator.

2 - a speaker extension cable with a Neutrik socket and preferably Neutrik plug.

3 - the Neutrik female-female adaptor and a second speaker cable.

4 - a box with two good jacks and a second speaker cable.

But - if you’re *only* going to use it at low volume - so the attenuator is always turned down more than about 6dB - then you can get away with much more of a lash-up, since the attenuator will provide a load on the amp even if something on the speaker side fails. This isn’t ‘good’ practice really, but it’s safe.
    Thanks as aways ICBM, have gone for the Neutrik female to female cable as its pretty straightforward