Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Need a bedroom amp that I can gig

What's Hot
Hey guys

I'm looking to start recording again and need an amp that will cater well for bedroom playing too, but also allow me to gig small/ medium venues if needed.

Basically, I'm looking for the following:

20w or below
Small and compact 
The ability to decrease the wattage 
Possibly a DI option 
Head preferred but will consider a combo

I like classic rock, hard rock, blues etc and my ideal tone would be close to a JCM 800.

I currently use an Orange Rocker 30 for home use and occasional gigging, but it's sometimes just too much. Great for gigging with as I like a no-frills amp that just does as it should though.

I was originally thinking of the dual terror, but after a friend let me try his Hughes and Kettner tubemeister 20 deluxe, am wondering whether this is more suited. Not sure if there's much difference between this at the tubemeister 18, but I am definitely being swayed in that direction. I like the idea of the red box and also the 1w option.

I'd appreciate any opinions or suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
Luke 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2892
    edited September 2017
    In the spirit of recommending what you own.. Mini Jubilee? Love mine. Portable, loud, looks cool, sounds even better and it has a DI. Can decrease the wattage to 5w but sounds better using the master volume in 20w mode. It's a bit JCM800 ish but with more gain and low end available. 
  • moominman2moominman2 Frets: 9
    edited September 2017
    Thanks TTBZ. I love the sound of the jubilee...although, if I were to go down that route, I'd want to just go all out and get the original! 

Will definitely look into them though, thanks!

Edit: Just looked into it and I forgot how nice it sounds. Will try and play one at some stage.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6122
    tFB Trader
    orange rocker 15. great 2 channel amp. built in attenuator too. love mine, it sounds great.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • Thanks Thorpy, not a bad suggestion. Thinking about it, I could sell my current Rocker and scale down :)
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6122
    tFB Trader
    Thanks Thorpy, not a bad suggestion. Thinking about it, I could sell my current Rocker and scale down :)
    incorrect! keep both, you never know when 50w/100w are needed..... actually you do, all the time! :)
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • ThorpyFX said:
    Thanks Thorpy, not a bad suggestion. Thinking about it, I could sell my current Rocker and scale down :)
    incorrect! keep both, you never know when 50w/100w are needed..... actually you do, all the time! :)
    Ha ha, fair point! I suppose that prior to my 100w sound city head blowing up, I was definitely using it in tiny pub venues. Overkill? Never!  ;)
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 611

What about a Blackheart 5w head with matching 1 x12. All super condition.Small footprint. easy carry. With covers. Fully modded by RATAMPS with power reduction, master volume etc. Pushing 11w after the mods.. Perfect for bedroom use or go full and crank. 4/8/16 ohm speaker switching.

PM me if you want to know more. You can see typ BH mods on the ratamps website.

• Thanks for the suggestion Baz- I take it you're selling then. 

I did actually have a Marshall class 5 with Rat mods and loved it. However, my drummer is heavy handed, so maxed out, it wasn't QUITE cutting it. But if the Blackheart pushes out 11w, that could work.

I'm not actually looking to buy until October/ November due to a trip to NZ, but I'll keep it in mind.

Cheers.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    You may be put off by the artist association but classic Marshall tones with more gain if you want it, two channel (on a foot switch), switchable between 1w and 5 watt, sounds like a Marshall SL5 would be worth trying if you can find one to try.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2892
    Thanks TTBZ. I love the sound of the jubilee...although, if I were to go down that route, I'd want to just go all out and get the original! 

Will definitely look into them though, thanks!

Edit: Just looked into it and I forgot how nice it sounds. Will try and play one at some stage.
    Weirdly I actually prefer the mini - guess it works the power stage a bit quicker on the volume so it ends up sounding a bit smoother and more compressed I reckon. 
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 611
    Thanks for the suggestion Baz- I take it you're selling then. 

I did actually have a Marshall class 5 with Rat mods and loved it. However, my drummer is heavy handed, so maxed out, it wasn't QUITE cutting it. But if the Blackheart pushes out 11w, that could work.

I'm not actually looking to buy until October/ November due to a trip to NZ, but I'll keep it in mind.

Cheers.
    Yeh, gonna move it, time to have a big cull. Where in Kent ? If north side I'm just other side of the river in Essex. Welcome to give it a whirl. You could also check it out against a lane vc15 for comparison. Prob want an external cab maybe to gig that.Had a rat mod class 5 too...white tolex with Union Jack cloth. Didn't have that did you...spooky if you did haha I thought all drummers were heavy handed lol 
    not put anything up for sale yet so knowing me nothing will happen for ages anyway
  • I'm Maidstone way, so not too far. Thanks, I appreciate the offer! I may take you up on it later in the year if it's still up for sale.

Ahhh, not quite! Mine had green tolex. Wanted to keep it, but you know what drummers are like when you ask them to quieten down !

Cheers
  • Cornell plexi 18/20
  • Have a look at the Peavey 20w Micro heads. Tick all your boxes. I've got the black one, used in the clean channel and it sounds spanky. 
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    I've also got a Rocker 30 head but agree, it's not the best for home use. However, I've also got a Mesa Express 5:25+ head which does work fairly well.
    It's an incredibly flexible amp and you can select 5w, 15w or 25w on each channel. The 5w works well at home and I rarely have to go above the 15w setting for gigs . Highly recommended 
  • Egnator Rebel 20/30 - vastly underrated imho
  • Hughes and Kettner tubemeister 18? I'm basically shopping for an amp with the same specs as you and this is what keeps coming up. 

It has loads of options for power soak and H&K's Redbox DI

All the right notes, not always in the right order!
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Line 6 DT25, go for peanuts used, and sound great.  Don't let the name put you off
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• I like classic rock, hard rock, blues etc and my ideal tone would be close to a JCM 800.

Get a JCM800.  

Find a bigger bedroom. 
  • Laney cub 12 with a celestion v