Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Recommend me a cheap Tele

What's Hot
I'm feeling a craving for a Tele. 

I'm assuming the neck profile will be different to my Squire Jazzmaster Vintage Modified. I'd like something a little slimmer in the neck. I'm fairly new to electric, I can no longer stand bashing out open chords on acoustic so it's time to learn guitar properly.

Thinking of the sort of thing I might pick up secondhand for up to 150 quid. I like to buy secondhand too rather than new and I can maybe upgrade parts later as my ability develops.

Anyone recommend any particular manufacturers or models?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• If your near bingley (noticed your West yorks) pop round and trial my classic vibe. Bit more than your budget but brilliant guitars 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10264
    tFB Trader
    I have a couple of Squier Standard teles ... and they are really very playable. My blonde one is actually one of the best feeling and sounding Teles I've had ... and I've had everything up to a 1965 vintage Fender one. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• I started my Tele habit with a squire affinity and never looked back - well within your budget. 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10264
    tFB Trader
    I started my Tele habit with a squire affinity and never looked back - well within your budget. 
    I have five Teles now ... they are more addictive than coke 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If your near bingley (noticed your West yorks) pop round and trial my classic vibe. Bit more than your budget but brilliant guitars 
     Funnily enough  I was  looking these up on eBay this evening. Unfortunately they fetch quite a bit even when used. Appreciate the kind offer, cheers. 
  • I have a couple of Squier Standard teles ... and they are really very playable. My blonde one is actually one of the best feeling and sounding Teles I've had ... and I've had everything up to a 1965 vintage Fender one. 
    I've got a blonde Squier Tele as well, what he said.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited September 2017
    **Total thread derail** ...you're in West Yorkshire... Come and try lots of Teles at the Fretboard Northern Jam  

/thread hack

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • If it's a guitar to mod, you could do a lot worse than either a Vintage V52 or a Harley Benton te52. They're both perfectly decent guitars, but with judicious alterations they can become something special. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
     Funnily enough  I was  looking these up on eBay this evening. Unfortunately they fetch quite a bit even when used. Appreciate the kind offer, cheers. 
    Mine ain't for sale chap, it was just to give you an idea of what is available, they will prize my CV from my cold dead hands ;-)
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    As already mentioned, your best bet is probably a Fender Squier Affinity. About £180 new and you'll get the slimmer neck that you prefer.
  • Save your pennies, and get a butterscotch Classic Vibe Squire tele.  Excellent used buy. 

• I have a tele partscaster for sale as I"m not reaching for it at all at the moment.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/telecaster-style-electric-guitar/1265751194

The neck is very slim in comparison to my classic vibe strat.

https://i.imgur.com/Iyg7OmM.jpg

Priced for gumtree but would negotiate price with a fretboarder.
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    proggy said:
    As already mentioned, your best bet is probably a Fender Squier Affinity. About £180 new and you'll get the slimmer neck that you prefer.
    ^This. Superb neck, and far better than it is any right to be for the price. Only guitar I've ever regretted selling. (My younger self thought it would be more 'Tele' if it had through-body stringing and a skunk stripe.) Also, more of that Tele 'spank' than some of the more expensive models.

Also, check out s/h G&L ASAT Classics.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    Thomann's Hardly Bentleys can be good and most deffo cheap...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    Another vote for an Affinity. The only thing I'd say is you should swap out the bridge for a vintage 3 barrel style for that authentic Tele-ness. Older Affinities are top load so not a problem. The newer ones are string through but the layout isn't compatible, but you could still go with a top load vintage bridge.
  • Sorry for lack of replies, my internet connection keeps dropping out. 

Dawsons will be getting a visit and I'll try the Standard and Classic Vibe and maybe pick up a used one somewhere. May as well try an Affinity too while I'm there for comparison.
    Thanks for your suggestions. Having done my research on secondhand values I now know the eBay prices tend to vary from a bit on the steep side to the totally ridiculous.
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 605
    edited September 2017
    If somebody local stocks revelation RT54 try those. It does have a real v shape at the top of the neck but then tapers - it felt strange at first but incredibly comfortable after just 10 minutes when I tried one in Bristol. The Wilkinson pups are respected AFAIU - a real authentic twang. Very rare second hand though :-(
  • Try as many different ones as you can. Even outside your budget.
  • marktheharpmarktheharp Frets: 89
    edited September 2017
    There was someone selling a squier classic vibe tele for 150 on Facebook guitars  buy and sell. And also a squier cabronita telecaster for  same price... thats a  steal at them prices.. can't remember if it was  Yorkshire  group or North West  group .happy hunting