Any tips for pull offs? I realised I've been doing them wrong

What's Hot
Probably the weakest part of my playing for years I sort of played them without the 'pluck' to really make the note sound. For example the lick in the stairway to heaven he does 11 times doesn't sound right like it's missing a note.

I'd say the way I have been playing them is if you recorded me doing a hammer on a reversed it. 

The skin on my finger tip on my ring finger feels soft Where as my first 2 are nice and calloused up. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2025
    Must ... resist ... obvious ... joke...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A pull-off is more of a plucking motion than a reverse hammer-on. But like a hammer-on it's important to let the note develop before doing the pull-off.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • adamm82 said:

...I'd say the way I have been playing them is if you recorded me doing a hammer on a reversed it...
    Marshall Harrison would argue that that's the right way to do Holdsworth type legato (i.e. all hammers and no actual pull offs). 

Having said that, I do pull offs. I move my pull off finger sideways across the guitar neck towards the floor.
    It's not a competition.
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    adamm82 said:

...I'd say the way I have been playing them is if you recorded me doing a hammer on a reversed it...
    Marshall Harrison would argue that that's the right way to do Holdsworth type legato (i.e. all hammers and no actual pull offs). 

Having said that, I do pull offs. I move my pull off finger sideways across the guitar neck towards the floor.
    that's what I was trying this evening if i deliberately move my finger towards the floor it works. but I tend to play with my hand slanted, I'm trying to play with a hand more straight on as it cleans things that I do that are a bit sloppy. 

The way I have been doing it has been fine if I am using say an 80s rock tone as that picks up everything. but in more of a traditional crunch tone it doesn't sound quite right. 
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited September 2017
    I'd say practice them acoustically. Worked for me in that I can now get them pretty consistent across the fretboard, and if you can get them ringing without pickups they'll sound great once you plug back in. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • Years ago I read a legato lesson by Guthrie Govan in which he suggested imagining there's a speck off dust on the string that you'r*Reading that back it's a lot easier to show someone than try to explain it :)e ( ahem :grin:" alt=":grin:" height="18" /> ) pulling off from. If you drag your fret finger off the string ( as if lightly dragging the speck of dust off) you're in the right ball park for pull offs.*

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I pull slightly down towards the floor on pull offs. It's easier with gain and volume. 

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• If you want your ring or little finger to be more callous, I would advise you to spend time every day just pressing all 4 fingers quite hard against the A or the low E string, until it hurts and you have the lines printed on your fingertips. Over time this should help you. (Don't do it until you bleed though, that's too much).

As far as pull offs go, the other guys on this thread did a great job, so the only thing I would add is to pull off fast, and I don't mean play a lot of pull offs very fast, I mean that you should try to execute the motion of pulling off fast.
     It will make your legato strong without requiring you to pull very hard on the string, allowing you to control your legato better and even make it easier to go up in speed if you want to.

Max
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    If you want your ring or little finger to be more callous
    @AxeInsight Interesting method. Mine's more effective: I just send my ring and little fingers off to get Skype lessons from terrorist cells...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AxeInsightAxeInsight Frets: 17
    edited September 2017
    DLM said:
    If you want your ring or little finger to be more callous
    @AxeInsight Interesting method. Mine's more effective: I just send my ring and little fingers off to get Skype lessons from terrorist cells...

Well that's interesting too! (I think I didn't get the joke tho )
  • ahah I see, pardon my broken english, it's not my mother tongue, I'm actually french. Still don't get the terrorist thing tho.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

@AxeInsight My apologies. I didn't realise you weren't a native speaker – otherwise your written English is actually much better than that of the majority of the users of this forum (who are native speakers) based on the few posts you've made so far.

Terrorist acts are invariably callous. That was the joke.

• Oh ok, I didn't get that because I thought "callous" was a very soft word to qualify terrorist actions. But yet again, I'm not a native speaker so maybe I'm wrong :expressionless:  Sorry for ruining your joke, I'll get the next one (I hope)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Chuffola said:
    Must ... resist ... obvious ... joke...

Ensure you cup the balls. 
    I'll get the next one (I hope)

Here, I'll shoot down a soft target and see if you get on board with the pelican:

http://movieboozer.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/pelican-i-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/87867/anyone-here-rehouse-pedals

• @DLM ; Actually, I don't even know what these are exactly:
    By the way, I love the pelican.
    edited September 2017
  • OOOH god I'm such an idiot! It was just a sandwich bun the whole time!

*climbs on top of the pelican and flies away in the sunset*