Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Can a man splurge a grand plus on a pro tele when he is, at best, a competent player

What's Hot
All the gear - no idea.......
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6121
    tFB Trader
    well, are all ferrari and lamborghini drivers professional racers? do you have to be a model to wear designer clothes? As long you can afford it, aren't making your kids starve and enjoy the guitar... who cares what perceived wisdom states. there is an argument that if you have a well setup and easy to play guitar, it makes learning easier. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 24reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2234
    Yes
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Nah, your card will be declined for 'insufficient talent'.
    29reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes. If not, I wouldn't be able to have my prized bits of wire-and-wood...

If it makes you happy, buy it. End of.
    <space for hire>
  • Absolutely - I know someone with about a dozen high end guitars who's a fucking dreadful player.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I've splashed more than that on guitars in the past.

And at best I am..............................incompetent!
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    Yes
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72243
    Yes, in fact a decent Tele will make you look less like a prat with all the gear and no idea than something like a PRS or even a Les Paul will ;). Assuming it's a proper Tele, at least. Teles look like workingman's guitars, and the average punter can't tell the difference between a cheap Mexican Fender and a US Custom Shop one anyway.

In fact it's arguable that the average guitar player can't either :).

I bought a Martin 12-string when I could barely play. It was probably the best thing I ever did to improve my playing, because it sounded so beautiful when I did occasionally get something right that I then put in the effort to get it right more often.

The beauty of a Tele is that it's *both* one of the easiest electric guitars to play in that even very basic stuff sounds good on it, and one of the hardest in that it's difficult to get the best out of it. I've always disagreed with the idea that they're 'unforgiving', but they're certainly very player-sensitive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Absolutely - I know someone with about a dozen high end guitars who's a fucking dreadful player.

I wasn't aware we knew each other?
    16reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hopefully the answer is yes. I spent well over a grand on a new Telecaster Professional around Xmas. It's a truly great guitar and I play it more than my Les Paul, which cost a lot more.
    It's not a competition.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30875
    edited September 2017
    Oh for sure.

I'm not even competant yet my strat is worth more than both of my cars.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • i have 4 core prsi (and another incoming  ;) ) and im REALLY shite
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @stratman3142 - interesting - whats it like weight wise. I have a bad back and I am looking for a light guitar - the pro's are light aren't they?

@ICBM - its true, live I play a Mexican tele I've modded - but I think most people can't tell the difference between cheap and expensive Tele's - thats the appeal for me - not very ostentatious.

@Jackobean - lol - I believe they have a special siren that sounds as well..... pretty embarrassing. 

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    If you can afford it, and you think it's worth it, then yes.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• usedtobe said:
    If you can afford it, and you think it's worth it, then yes.
    Its hard to know if you can ever afford these things. Following the break down of my 12 relationship with the mother of my children I now find myself living with my old man earning nearly a grand a week. So technically I can totally afford it. But the money could always be spent on something else. 

I'll be renting again soon so I guess its a now or never type scenario. 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Yes. Always buy the best thing you can afford.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    edited September 2017
    @stratman3142 - interesting - whats it like weight wise. I have a bad back and I am looking for a light guitar - the pro's are light aren't they?

Mine's the actual butterscotch Tele in the video below and, as Danish Pete says at 20:12, it's incredibly light. I got it from Andertons just after seeing the demo.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Russell Howard collects guitars ( I'm not quite sure what but let's assume relatively posh stuff) but can't play a note.

People spend all sorts. Years ago I knew a guy who had a custom made Status 5 string bass to learn on. He was clueless but he had the most amazing bass. He certainly wasn't wealthy but he could still pay the rent. 

Whereas I am a guitar God and I have really cheap stuff :blush: 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • you only live one so buy it, oh and eat your pudding first too  =)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22715
    Absolutely - I know someone with about a dozen high end guitars who's a fucking dreadful player.
    There are probably quite a few of us feeling uncomfortable after that comment....
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom