Gardiner Houlgate Auction today

anyone going ?

anyone found anything of interest ?

anyone found anything dubious ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14181
    tFB Trader
    The PRS EG's look okay but I bet they will go for more than the guide line price

ditto #56 - Fender Flame and again I bet it will sell for more than the guide line price

#88 - Trussart - if it goes for guide line prices then someone gets a great deal

#102 + #140  #178/9 -  for @HarrySeven ;

look at #158  ???????????????????

#245 might be okay - modded Burny
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27434
    Hammer prices + buyers premium & VAT on premium (24%), and the estimates on anything that I recognise look to be pretty fully priced ... you're not going to come away with bargains (if the estimates are achieved).
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Im going to be watching from the sidelines (via the internet) - Im sure they put deliberately low guideleine prices to get people interested going by the prices some of the (not that desirable) gear went for in past auctions
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    I wonder if there will be dealers there hoovering up anything that does threaten to go really cheap.
  • Of course, but going by past auctions stuff never goes cheap
  • The pinstripe Marshall PA cabs look nice. The 71 stack looks a bit Justin though.
    crunchman said:
    I wonder if there will be dealers there hoovering up anything that does threaten to go really cheap.
    A lot of dealers seem to just buy stuff at market value and then try and sell it for two or three times that.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    This means it's only 3 weeks to wait until they appear on the Atoyboy and Nottingham City Guitars websites at 3 times the price then! ;)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2368
    The pinstripe Marshall PA cabs look nice. The 71 stack looks a bit Justin though.
    crunchman said:
    A lot of dealers seem to just buy stuff at market value and then try and sell it for two or three times that.
    Yeah Nottingham City Guitars still have the 1960 Esquire on sale for three times the price paid at auction. Didn't see anything of note worth a punt. Plenty of dubious old guitars, funny thing is people seem to be happy waging thousands on them.
     I was looking at an old '54 Esquire the other day that was £10k....the seller couldn't be sure if it was really a blackguard era guitar or a white guard due to an unreadable date, yet he was selling it as a blackguard and someone bought it pretty swiftly. Seems to me there are more 50-54 blackguard guitars out there than Fender really made...there's several on sale here in the UK at the moment....ranging anywhere between £10,000 and £18,000.

• AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    This page just led me to Nottingham City guitars website for the first time - holy s#%t, the prices are astronomical. '72 Deluxe Goldtop for over £4K! £7k for a refin Junior....
  • I had a mooch round the Nott City Guitars shop a couple of weeks ago - nice guys but way overpriced gear
  • 1995 Guild Eelctro Acoustic £4200 not inc. fees - hahaha
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Adamski said:
    This page just led me to Nottingham City guitars website for the first time - holy s#%t, the prices are astronomical. '72 Deluxe Goldtop for over £4K! £7k for a refin Junior....
    I do have to chuckle at Nottingham City Guitars, I fully admit part of me is jealous that I didn't see that Esquire or buy it for what it went for but if it was a GREAT guitar, I'd probably give them double what they paid. They'll be sitting on that for years.

I do admire the nerve of NGC, Atoyboy et al, these guitars are well documented on the GH website and on eBay where most of their stock come from, for the prices they paid, so any potential buyer (who would be CRAZY not to research the guitar on the net before buying it) can easily see what they paid for it and the mark up the dealers are hoping to achieve. In my opinion, the only purpose these dealers serve is to try and keep the vintage market prices inflated to a level they have long since failed to achieve. 

That said, in Atoyboy's case, they seem to sell so perhaps he's catering for a different market?
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    edited September 2017

Over the years, I've developed a healthy dislike for GH and their auctions. I can barely be arsed to look at their catalogues nowadays.  :(  

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    edited September 2017
    It is difficult to put a price on collectability.

This is the thinking behind it. If a collector wants something badly enough they will dig deeper for it. This is why its always the vintage stuff or other rare items, and not the bog standard gear.

Its easy to laugh at dealers asking high prices, but when they sell who has the last laugh?
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    edited September 2017
    miserneil said:

I do admire the nerve of NGC, Atoyboy et al, these guitars are well documented on the GH website and on eBay where most of their stock come from, for the prices they paid, so any potential buyer (who would be CRAZY not to research the guitar on the net before buying it) can easily see what they paid for it and the mark up the dealers are hoping to achieve.

In my opinion, the only purpose these dealers serve is to try and keep the vintage market prices inflated to a level they have long since failed to achieve. 

In answer to your first point - you see the same thing (on a different economy of scale on most music-gear sales-oriented Facebook groups), day-in, day-out. Bedroom dealers buy an item one week (on Facebook, Gumtree, etc)  for '£X' amount, then attempt to sell it the following day/week for '£XXX' amount.

One such character recently purchased a guitar for £49 on Gumtree, then re-advertised it the day after at £250 on the local Facebook group. Brass neck. It's entirely up to people what they chose to sell at, but in this day and age, tracking sales is easy.

Re. Second point - couldn't agree more.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• HarrySeven said:
    Brass neck.

That would be a genius name for a vintage guitar dealer, wouldn't it? Openly trading in the style of Harry Enfield's 'I Saw You Coming' - fleecing and insulting its customers simultaneously.

I'm tempted to do it....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    HarrySeven said:
    Brass neck.

That would be a genius name for a vintage guitar dealer, wouldn't it? Openly trading in the style of Harry Enfield's 'I Saw You Coming' - fleecing and insulting its customers simultaneously.

I'm tempted to do it....
    Alas Rich, the chap I bought my last vintage guitar off has this down pat already I'm afraid....
    (formerly miserneil)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • miserneil said:
    HarrySeven said:
    Brass neck.

I'm tempted to do it....
    Alas Rich, the chap I bought my last vintage guitar off has this down pat already I'm afraid....
    :)
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5004
    edited September 2017
    Is there an online link available that shows the hammer prices?

Edit: think this is it.
    https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/gardiner-houlgate/catalogue-id-srgard10070

250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14181
    tFB Trader
    Is there an online link available that shows the hammer prices?

Edit: think this is it.
    https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/gardiner-houlgate/catalogue-id-srgard10070

glad you found it - I was looking last night and could not see results