Where to put Ge fuzz?

What's Hot
ricorico Frets: 1220
I have a germanium fuzz and I am lead to believe that they are quite sensitive to buffers - should it go first in the chain? I.e before the TU3?

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Ben8010Ben8010 Frets: 150
    I have a Si Fuzz that I found sounded nicer before my TU-3 than after, but the best thing to do is to just try it out yourself and see which sounds better. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Try it before and after the buffer, you won't damage it.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1372
    After univibe, before everything else 
  • It's not the type of transistors that matter- Fuzz Faces need to be first in the signal chain regardless of whether they use Ge or Si transistors, but a Big Muff (also a Si transistor fuzz) doesn't- it's to do with the overall circuit design. 

Try yours before and after a pedal with a buffer. If you can hear a difference, it needs to go where it sounds better. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Its a tone bender type pedal - does that suffer from the same thing as a fuzz face?
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132
    edited September 2017
    rico said:
    Its a tone bender type pedal - does that suffer from the same thing as a fuzz face?

Yes, I think so. Assuming you're talking about the MkII. The later ones might be less fussy (but they're Si I think)...

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
    edited September 2017
    Right at the beginning so it sees your guitar first. All it would do would sound more trebly or won't clean up as well using the guitar volumebif it does have a problem with buffers. Some might like it like that though
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Right at the beginning so it sees your guitar first. All it would do would sound more trebly or won't clean up as well using the guitar volumebif it does have a problem with buffers. Some might like it like that though
    Unless you put it after a wah, in which case it gets very upset. Nobody will like that.

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3815
    Right at the beginning so it sees your guitar first. All it would do would sound more trebly or won't clean up as well using the guitar volumebif it does have a problem with buffers. Some might like it like that though
    Unless you put it after a wah, in which case it gets very upset. Nobody will like that.
    After univibe and wah (IF the wah has a fuzz-friendly buffer)
  • Right at the beginning so it sees your guitar first. All it would do would sound more trebly or won't clean up as well using the guitar volumebif it does have a problem with buffers. Some might like it like that though
    Depends on the wah I guess. My wah is buffer friendly exotic wah :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    How about the common or garden Crybaby?
  • I had a Rotosound germanium fuzz that basically made no sound if the wrong side of my standard crybaby. Can't remember know which way round the problem was - but it will soon be clear :-)
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    edited September 2017
    first in signal chain. 
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72239
    Apart from whoever this is…

http://images3.static-bluray.com/reviews/1022_2.jpg

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    ^ what does he know? His guitar is upside down
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom