Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

A pedal that simulates a bass when playing an electric guitar?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    crunchman said:
    Get a bass.

For the price of some of the pedals mentioned you could buy a second hand Squier.
    That's what I'd do.
    I find the pedals give an unnatural synth type sound. Fine, if you like that kind of thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    crunchman said:
    Get a bass.

For the price of some of the pedals mentioned you could buy a second hand Squier.
    If I'm not mistaken, Rocker actually owns two basses. I think his question is how to simulate a bass with a guitar when using a looper, presumably so he can record a bassline then play guitar over it without having to change instruments. (He may correct me if I'm wrong :).)

But it is difficult - playing "bass" like that never really sounds right to me. There's something about the physics of the way a bass plays compared to a guitar that makes you form the notes and play the lines differently, even if you're altering the pitch to an octave lower.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thing is though, I guess it depends on who the bass sound is for. Is it for ultimate authenticity, or to add some low end to an audience who won't know/care?
  • Whatever became of the Able Bass Maker pedal? Ah, yes. It was crap.

Alternatively, do the looping thang with a baritone guitar.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    I know I've already suggested the EHX Pitch Fork but how about a Digitech Trio+ for a left-field suggestion? Not sure of your exact needs so ignore me if I'm way off.
  • There used to be a really good one called the morpheus drop. Not many people have heard of it seemingly, so it may be cheaper used? Other than that, @mike_l suggestion is probably a good bet. 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    mike_l said:
    Digitech drop.
    Can do anything from a semi-tone down to an octave down, tracks really well, and can do a blend of octave down and original sound. All for around £110.

the Digitech Drop sounds amazing!

It is.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    edited September 2017
    I have a Strat pickup which only has the bottom-E's pole piece in it; the previous owner ran it to a separate jack and an octave pedal.

(I've now reverted the Strat to standard.)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    There used to be a really good one called the morpheus drop. Not many people have heard of it seemingly, so it may be cheaper used? Other than that, @mike_l suggestion is probably a good bet. 
    i think digitalscream had one and wasnt overly impressed with it.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    @ICBM is right, I have two basses at the moment but one is effectively bought by a friend and is awaiting collection.  So I will try using an actual bass in the loop, but it is good to know that a pedal that replicates a bass actually exists!

Thanks for all your contributions.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    Dopesick said:
    The Boss Super Octave (OC-3) should do the trick. Most octave pedals really.
    I don't know about other Octave pedals but I believe with the OC-3, you can assign the octave to just the bottom 2 (?3) strings and it's a polyphonic pedal. So, for example, if you're doing something akin to jazz comping with walking basslines or country flat picking, you can play your chords and get your effected basslines in as well.

One added thing about the Boss OC-3 is that it has a built-in distortion circuit within it if you should so desire to choose that mode.
  • Melody and Bass at the same time, huh? 

https://i.imgur.com/OzO43Lm.jpg?1
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.