Kemper Profiling Voodoo...

spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
Just tried my first amp profile......its quite amazing really, and all from some weird 60's sci-fi sounds..

Ive seen lots of demos but actually doing it yourself shows the capabilities....

Mac Mini M1
Presonus Studio One V5
 https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
 https://twitter.com/spark240
 Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
Reddit r/newmusicreview 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    I know! Have had one for a good ten days now and I think it'll be a keeper. It's not exactly exactly the same feel and response, but the sound really is quite the same. And you really lose track of time when playing through it. Very impressed and a lot better than that other famous modeler imo. 
  • ruoma said:
    I know! Have had one for a good ten days now and I think it'll be a keeper. It's not exactly exactly the same feel and response, but the sound really is quite the same. And you really lose track of time when playing through it. Very impressed and a lot better than that other famous modeler imo. 
    So if I understand correctly, the Kemper profiles the sound of your amp on that specific setting. 

You can then adjust the tone controls even the gain level of the profile, but it might not then react as your original amp would? 

So you would need to profile your amp on several different settings depending on what you wanted to do with the profile? 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • ruoma said:
    So if I understand correctly, the Kemper profiles the sound of your amp on that specific setting. 

You can then adjust the tone controls even the gain level of the profile, but it might not then react as your original amp would? 

So you would need to profile your amp on several different settings depending on what you wanted to do with the profile? 
    Yes
    although in reality how many times do you massively adjust your amp during a song?
    usually about 3-5 profiles per amp will cover t
  • Cabicular said:
    ruoma said:

Yes
    although in reality how many times do you massively adjust your amp during a song?
    During a song no, but I was more thinking of a recording session. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Cabicular said:
    ruoma said:

Yes
    During a song no, but I was more thinking of a recording session. 
    Personally I use the Kemper for recording, just because I can access something like 10k profiles at the moment, which is far too many ! ...I've just started profiling some amps and it's quite interesting , I can see why you wouldn't want to lug around a Marshall stack.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    edited September 2017
    The kemper can give you every amp sound you would want, but the problem is you'll have to either find them on the net or own them to profile them yourself. Having bought the B Meulendijck pack 2 and having gone through 500 free profiles, I have still only found one truly great clean profile for my tastes, which was a free one. Then I profiled my own j20, and that quality was instantly a lot better than those 499 profiles I auditioned. 

It is a very very powerful tool, but it is a bit of a search if you don't have the amps yourself. But if you do, sure it still sounds better micing a cab for real, but it is absolutely much more usable to just load the profile of the amp you miced yesterday and make music at every time of day!

I've been comparing profiling my amp vs load box with ir's, but I haven't quite really been satisfied with ir's. Just been struggling to get the true sound of my amp. But with the kemper, it's just the sound of MY amp with MY speaker. It's MY Ir with MY mic positioning!

I am however not fond of the profiles of amps+pedals as I find it sounds way better to stick gain pedals in front of a clean profile. 
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1381
    I have a question as an interested observer. Is a profile is an 'image' of that amp, cab, mic profile in that room at those settings.

if you then adjust any setting, e.g. Eq, does the kemper make an assumption of how the 'image' might react or do you make several images with adjusted sounds so the kemper 'knows' how it changes?

so presumably any profiles you purchase are reliant on several other factors not just the amp?
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • ruoma said:
    The kemper can give you every amp sound you would want, but the problem is you'll have to either find them on the net or own them to profile them yourself. Having bought the B Meulendijck pack 2 and having gone through 500 free profiles, I have still only found one truly great clean profile for my tastes, which was a free one. Then I profiled my own j20, and that quality was instantly a lot better than those 499 profiles I auditioned. 

This is why I went with the Axe FX 2.

I've tried a few different IR companies and have come to the conclusion Ownhammer does the best for my tastes.  I usually find an amp model I'm familiar with into an Ownhammer IR of a cab I'm familiar with sounds about right pretty quickly.  I've been really impressed with a lot of Kemper clips and it's clearly capable of sounding as good if not better as far as the amps go, but I was selling my amps and going digital and didn't fancy trawling through a load of other people's profiles to get sounds, if I roughly knew how I'd want to get them anyway.
  • It's why I prefer the Afx as well 

There both great but they suit different approaches.

The keeper is "this sounds great, I'll profile it to keep it" 

The Afx is more 'i have this sound in my head, I'll build it wirh the Afx tools".

• rsvmark said:
    I have a question as an interested observer. Is a profile is an 'image' of that amp, cab, mic profile in that room at those settings.

if you then adjust any setting, e.g. Eq, does the kemper make an assumption of how the 'image' might react or do you make several images with adjusted sounds so the kemper 'knows' how it changes?

so presumably any profiles you purchase are reliant on several other factors not just the amp?
    All approaches are used and valid
    M Britt (one of the profile makers) has some profiles with his Klon active in front

Personally I tend to set up the amp as I like it, put a couple of mics on it, profile each mic separately, then profile my preferred blend via a mixer. The EQ is good enough to maker minor adjustments (think of it like an EQ on your mixing desk)

I'll do the recording with the actual amp, but keep the profiles as a back up in case I need to go back to it later

Its really inefficient and no way to make music but it supports my "never commit to anything" philosophy that means I never actually finish anything

• gordijigordiji Frets: 783
    ruoma said:
     I have still only found one truly great clean profile for my tastes, which was a free one. Then I profiled my own j20, and that quality was instantly a lot better than those 499 profiles I auditioned. 

Which one out of interest ?