my tele wiring has gone wrong??

What's Hot
Seems pretty basic, but somewhere it has gone wrong. 

For some reason my 3 way switch is a mirror image of 'all' diagrams?? eg the lug closest to the pots is on the left instead of the right. Anyway, I thought I'd just wire the switch as a mirror image along its length, but I seem to have neck pup in the bridge switch setting and bridge at the neck. Reverse wires seems logical but I have another problem in that I have no combined sound in the middle????

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    edited September 2017
    There used to be a Japanese-made lever selector switch that aped the CRL item in all respects except that of having its poles on the "wrong" sides. 

Inspect the contact parts on either side of your switch. Identify the "collector" terminal lug on each pole. This is where the pickup should be connected. Once you have found the collector terminals, the remainder of the contact layout should make sense to you.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Seem to have it sorted now, ta.
  • What do you reckon had gone wrong?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 879
    I wired my first Tele switch today and had a similar brief period of confusion. Solving it was just a matter of sitting and staring at my wiring until I realised what I'd done wrong. The big thing I learned today was that the components in an Indonesian Squire Tele are a pile of crap.  And the pots and switch are smaller than standard US components so a degree of carving is involved in order to fit new parts in. I digress... 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    What do you reckon had gone wrong?
    I can follow a wiring diagram but I have no clue to what is actually going on in terms of the logic. I found a different wiring diagram (from Lollar) and it showed my 'reversed' switch, so I redid everything to that. The switching is now fine but both knobs are working as volume now so I still have probs. I'm going to look at it again today.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72254
    If both knobs are working as volumes there's probably a short at the tone control. If you can't find anything, it's possible the cap is shorted, which can happen with some types if you overheat them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein