How do I fit a new neck?

I am considering a getting a replacement neck for my strat - it currently has a maple neck with rosewood board. A few years ago I had a Musicman Albert Lee that had the most sublime birdseye maple neck & 'board, and it's this combination that I'd like to retrofit.

Assuming that I order a new neck from Warmoth (with a nut fitted and slotted), is it just a simple case of swapping over the neck hardware and offering the neck to the vacant neck pocket and securing in place with the old screws?

Is there anything more that I need to know / check, or is it that simple? Are there any jigs / fixtures / procedures required to ensure that the neck is sitting flat and snug in the neck pocket?

All advice welcome. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    Are you getting a pre-drilled neck? Advantage - you don't need to drill the holes. Disadvantage - they must match the screw holes in the body exactly or it will not fit properly.

If not, you'll need to line it up and drill them yourself. This isn't quite as easy as it sounds if you want to get it really right, as opposed to just the neck attached to the body. Ideally you need to clamp the neck into the pocket and fit the two E strings to make sure the alignment is perfect, then mark the hole positions with the screws through the body.

It's also a near certainty that the nut won't be cut correctly no matter what they say, so factor in that as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MtBMtB Frets: 922
    Thanks ICBM - exactly the stuff that I wanted to know.
  • ForgeForge Frets: 431

Get it pre drilled from a reputable maker.

Both Warmoth and Musikraft are great, they will drill perfectly for fenders and file the nut for your gauge. You can simply install the neck, line it up nicely and see how the action is, if you need to raise or lower your bridge dramatically then you will need a small shim in the neck pocket (usually the thickness of a playing card).

You will need to set the neck too, think carefully if you want the truss ross adjuster on the headstock or at the heel. I start usually with the neck straight and see the natural relief with the strings on and under the right tension, then re-adjust.

Be careful installing the tuner bushings, do not hammer them in. if they are too big to push in with normal force then you need to ream the tuner holes. The trick without a proper tool is to roll a sandpaper piece and use that.

Also put a bit of hard soap on the neck screws.

Pre-drill the holes to the tuner screws very carefully, the drill bit must not go too deep. It you do not pre-drill they screws will snap.

• MtBMtB Frets: 922
    Thanks @Forge
  • ForgeForge Frets: 431

No worries, I assemble my own now so if you are stuck at any point I am happy to help.

It is not as bad as I made it sound!