Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Should I sell some guitars

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22738
    Fucking hell @ICBM you're like Hercule Poirot!  Completely dissected that original post. 

Personally I read the OP and thought well, they all sound fully justified, now buy some more.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Keep them all! You need all of them. And go get yourself a semi-acoustic or two. Oh, and you got only one Tele? You need two of them, at the very least! Say, you don't own a guitar with lipstick-PUs, don't you? Not even s single one? How can you live without one? Now let's see... Let me count. That would make 18 altogether. So, get yourself two more, to make it 20. 20 is a good number.   :3
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm confused by your post as you state a case for each. Why request dissuasion from people who know nothing about them, other than you like them all? @ICBM, as so often is the case, nailed it. 

Personally, I sold my collection of six for one stupidly high-end PRS. No regrets. I love it, it re-energised playing for me. I've still gone out and bought an electro acoustic and cheap PRS since though...
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    I'd sell the lot (except for the wife's present) and use that to buy one or two you'll truly love, or just keep them all, life's too short
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I'm confused by your post as you state a case for each. Why request dissuasion from people who know nothing about them, other than you like them all? @ICBM, as so often is the case, nailed it. 

Personally, I sold my collection of six for one stupidly high-end PRS. No regrets. I love it, it re-energised playing for me. I've still gone out and bought an electro acoustic and cheap PRS since though...
    i really know I have too many, think I'll start with selling 5 and see how it goes.  Doing nothing more than thinking out loud, a problem shared ... and all that

went to to last nights gig with the goldtop and PRS, and played the goldtop all night.  I actually grabbed a Les Paul case to put it in and found an Edwards Les Paul in there, so make that 16 :)

Cheers for all the input 
    5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    John_A said:
    I actually grabbed a Les Paul case to put it in and found an Edwards Les Paul in there, so make that 16 :)
    wut
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_A said:

went to to last nights gig with the goldtop and PRS, and played the goldtop all night.  I actually grabbed a Les Paul case to put it in and found an Edwards Les Paul in there, so make that 16
    This is why a guitar cull every 3-5 years is essential (depending on your rate of purchase). Get it back down to five, let it grow again and then repeat. It makes sure what you have is what you need and enjoy using. I personally like that moment before I go to a gig when I decide which guitar it'll be, they are all killer, there are none now that I am less sure of so it depends entirely on mood.
  • I have 10 guitars now and some haven't been played in years but I'd never sell them as I got them at great prices so can afford to have them sat there doing nothing 
    Bucket said:
    John_A said:
    I actually grabbed a Les Paul case to put it in and found an Edwards Les Paul in there, so make that 16 :)
    wut
    I also forgot to mention a Squier classic vibe Jaguar. 17
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    Sell those as well! You clearly don't need or really like them if you'd forgotten you had them :).

Having read back through my post again, I would maybe even go further - definitely sell both the Charvel and the RG unless you prefer the Charvel to the Van Halen bitsa. You only need one of these three at most. If you prefer the VH to the Tele, sell the Tele too, or vice versa.

That would give you...

Tokai (favourite guitar)
    Gretsch (present from wife)
    PRS (working guitar)
    VH or Tele (for any gig you don't want to take the other three)

That's all you need.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    Don't sell the Tokai. Had to sell mine. Gutted about it.
    6 on the initial cull list

Washburn. Lovely but The RG is my nicest super Strat 
    VH bitsa.  As above
    Charvel. And again
    Edwards LP. Doesn't get a look in with my Tokai
    Black Gretsch. Silver one should get out more
    Squer Jag. Don't even know why I bought it

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    I'll offer you £50 for the EVH one which is worth next to nothing! :)
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    ...but seriously, just look at the descriptions there; there are plainly some which you've marked as keepers, so take them off the list and consider what's left.

Which ones would you grab first if there was a fire?

Which ones have meaning to you (eg. gift from wife)?

Which ones are easy to replace?

Which ones, if you sold, would you likely buy another (eg. the Tele)?

Which ones, if you sold, could you easily buy another (eg. the LP Special)?

Which ones don't you use and can't even be bothered to set up?

My thoughts are:

KEEP: 80s Tokai goldtop, my favourite guitar
    KEEP: Bacchus Strat, had it for years and was #1 whenI played strtats
    KEEP: Fender highway one Strat. Nicest Strat I've played
    LOSE: bitsa van Helen copy. Sounds and plays great and I would get next to nowt for it
    LOSE: bitsa strat. Put it together myself, looks and sounds great
    LOSE: Ibanez destroyer II doesn't get much use but it's cool
    LOSE: LP special. Whelk you need some P90s dont you?
    LOSE: hamer special, needs a set up, but would probably be better than the LP special if it had one
    LOSE: charvel socal well you need a shredder don't you?
    LOSE: RG1550 better that the Charvel, but I like the Charvel better
    LOSE: wasburn MG. lovely high spec, but would fetch peanuts

KEEP: gretsch silver jet. Bough by my wife and I love it and it's pristine
    KEEP: gretsch jet electromatic with filtertrons, play it case I don't gig the silver jet cause its pristine
    KEEP: PRS CE. Most used cause it does everything well and has my GK pickup on
    KEEP: bita telecaster. Got to have a tele, and I really like it

So that about halves the number!
  • I'd be interested in the Bacchus strat if you two decide to part company.
  • More info on the Destroyer, please
    warhead said:
    More info on the Destroyer, please
    1981 DT400 1st edition Destroyer II, sunburst mahogany, a few dings but vgc overall, original case and a gigbag too.
    Thanks for all the input guys, esp @ICBM , I'm going ahead and selling a lot of it off.

Keepers for now
    PRS
    Bacchus
    Tokai LP
    Ibanez
    Gretsch
    Telecaster

Sold the Charvel & the Jag and no regrets, got a few on ebay and the VH on here.  If anyone's interested in anything drop me a PM, or I'll get round to listing stuff soon
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    Glad to help, even though I got a couple of them wrong :). I think you will genuinely feel better for it. I think it's easy to fall into the trap of 'justifying' more guitars because they're all different and lose sight of the fact most of them are really just minor variations on the same thing when you really boil it down. They don't actually make you play any better...

That does sound like a pretty good range of the most useful types. Just try not to think about what you might be 'missing' ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• John_A said:
    Thanks for all the input guys, esp @ICBM , I'm going ahead and selling a lot of it off.

Keepers for now
    PRS
    Bacchus
    Tokai LP
    Ibanez
    Gretsch
    Telecaster

Sold the Charvel & the Jag and no regrets, got a few on ebay and the VH on here.  If anyone's interested in anything drop me a PM, or I'll get round to listing stuff soon

Sounds good - I guess you can get all of these on a single guitar stand.  I find I don't tend to bother opening up cases to play things, so I keep to what I can fit on a single 7 way multi stand (I have guitars and basses on it).