Identify guitar

What's Hot
Hi I have this 70s/80s les paul copy, nó brand name, has the open book head stock and the logo is two little white triangles in the middle of the head stock, one facing up, one facing down. Have no clue what make this is. Any one any ideas... Also I'm new here so Hi guys and gals! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Oh yeah and i forgot to mention it was made in Japan
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Pics!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I tried to up the pic but only lets me upload via URL and my pic isn't online obviously. Is there a way to just upload the pic from my phone to the thread? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    Welcome!

Sounds like a Kay. They had the two-triangle (usually with a bar between the two) inlay, and the Kay logo was on the truss rod cover so it was often removed or replaced with a plain cover by embarrassed owners!

Kay were formerly a reasonably well-regarded - although at the cheap end of things - US brand in the 50s and 60s, but by the 70s the name was being put on Japanese imports of much lower quality.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    You need to upload it to a pic hosting site, such as Imgur, and copy the link from there. It's the only way, I'm afraid. And without pics, the guitar could be pretty much anything... :)
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• OK guys thanks for the responses, having looked up the Kay Les Paul models I dont believe this is one of them, the logo while similar is different from what i could see on google. here is a link to a pic of my guitar

https://imgur.com/WfPnOTo

With the rounded fingerboard end and the too-fat cutaway horn that looks more like a Jedson or a Shaftesbury. None of these were actually 'makers' though, they were brands (usually distributors' own, different in different parts of the world) applied to guitars from several factories, so it can be difficult to pinpoint it exactly.

Calling @HarrySeven :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14030
    tFB Trader
    I dare say many of the brands at the time came out of the same factory - Eros, Columbus, Satellite, Kay, Avon - I assume it is a bolt on neck model

Is there any markings on the top of the headstock that might indicate a badge has fallen off - ie 1 or 2 small pin holes
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7670

Avon / Rose Morris ?
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • @Paul_C ;i believe it could be a Avon Rose Morris, just checked online and someone had a pic up of what looked like the exact same model under the description of Japanese 1970s Rose Morris! And the logo is seemingly identical! @guitars4you i am currently away down south for the week but i can check those details for you when I am back home.

thanks for all the replies guys! Btw has anyone any idea what its worth, ive no real intention of selling, its a nice back up guitar to have but i am just curious to know what i have in my possession really 
  • Avon LP copies had a full complement of fingerboard inlays right up to the twenty second fret and a straight end to the fingerboard.

Kay or Satellite seems more likely to me. Some of these brads employed a raised plastic headstock logo. If this has been removed, you may find several tell-tale locator pin holes.

Another brand that springs to mind is Hondo. 
    Be seeing you.
    edited September 2017
    Avon LP copies had a full complement of fingerboard inlays right up to the twenty second fret and a straight end to the fingerboard.
    Not all of them.

http://xelectrical.com/images/8054.jpg

The problem is that all these brands are simply different names stuck on guitars which may have come out of more than one factory, and each factory also supplied many distributors.

Unless you can find pin holes that correspond exactly to only one size of badge, or the shadow of an old logo that's been rubbed off, it's going to be very difficult to say conclusively what name was originally on it.

For btjking7 - it's probably worth around £150 to £200 if it's in good working order and condition. A few years ago they would have been considered little more than firewood (in fact I have a confession regarding that... ), but now there is a definite nostalgia market for them and they do sell for more than you might expect.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    edited September 2017
    ICBM said:
    The problem is that all these brands are simply different names stuck on guitars which may have come out of more than one factory, and each factory also supplied many distributors.
    I know. I had one of those plywood planks. Mine had a raised Avon logo but not the Rose-Morris subscript found on some examples. Somebody out there probably knows the significance of these tiny details.
    Be seeing you.
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1473
    I used to have a Columbus, which looked exactly the same, but they were all just importer badges on the same guitars.  It was only when you got to the Antoria and CSL set necks that they put humbuckers into them.  I would guess your has single coil pickups.

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7670
    Aria LP Copy :

Angelica Deluxe LP Copy:

httpsiebayimgcom00sMTAyNFgxMDI0zpYAAOSwzvlW8nMw_86JPG

OP's guitar perhaps?

httpxelectricalcomimages675jpg

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Too much compression on the last 2.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:
    Too much compression on the last 2.
    Looks more like distortion to me
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_C said:
    Aria LP Copy :

Angelica Deluxe LP Copy:

httpsiebayimgcom00sMTAyNFgxMDI0zpYAAOSwzvlW8nMw_86JPG

OP's guitar perhaps?

httpxelectricalcomimages675jpg

the last image is near identical... any idea of the make?
  • btjking7btjking7 Frets: 0
    edited September 2017

heres a better look
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    Looks like my old Avon Les Paul.

Looked like it had been dipped in glass. The "humbuckers" were cheap single coils, heavy plywood construction and people are paying good money for these?

I guess it is down to sentiment and the legend that everything that came out of Matsumoku was a gem.  ;)