Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New 20w Marshalls

What's Hot

Comments

• Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
    What about the Marshall Astorias, looks aside, weren't they designed to fill this gap?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2891
    edited September 2017
    @Gassage your 2525c must be broken. I'm getting some awesome tones with mine on the lead channel. I don't use the clean or rhythm clip modes as they just sound thin and buzzy in comparison. Lead channel can get some really thick heavy rock tones, like a boosted 800. Of course if you don't like the marshall tone then it's not for you.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    mattdavis said:
    rico said:
    There are some angry fuckers on this forum
    It was meant to be mildly amusing. Evidently it wasn't. I'll wink next time. 
    It wasn't aimed in your direction!
  • Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
    And from what I've heard, haven't Fender got this covered on Marshall behalf with 18/30 watt Bassbreaker:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/2264006000/combo-amps/fender-bassbreaker-1830-2x12-guitar-amp-combo
  • rico said:
    mattdavis said:
    rico said:
    There are some angry fuckers on this forum
    It was meant to be mildly amusing. Evidently it wasn't. I'll wink next time. 
    It wasn't aimed in your direction!
    That means I'm even more of a dick.... bollox :-)
  • Gassage said:
    Just plugged in my 2525c in on account of this thread, eagerly expecting to find something that I'd missed.

Nope. I didn't.
    Go on then you can keep it at mine. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Gassage said:
    Just plugged in my 2525c in on account of this thread, eagerly expecting to find something that I'd missed.

Nope. I didn't.
    Why. 

Why do you have it?
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Apart from a few old Marshalls I've always struggled to get a sound I like out of them. They often seem very raspy even on a clean setting.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72228
    Duppy03 said:
    And from what I've heard, haven't Fender got this covered on Marshall behalf with 18/30 watt Bassbreaker
    I haven't heard that one yet, but if the Bassbreaker 007 is anything to go by... no. Horrible thing, all mud and no dynamics. Sounded worse than a Blues Junior.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• photekphotek Frets: 1463
    Gassage said:

Nope. I didn't.
    Not tried the combo in anger, but new greenbacks are terrible. Took months of abuse to get one sounding 'normal' in my experience. I also find the 2525H needs to be in full power mode with the volume up very high to sounds great, it's a fussy little git sometimes. It really is the best Marshall sound I have had live and over the years I have gigged early vertical input 800's, JMP, JVMs, YJMs, various handwired JTM45's, bluesbreakers, PA20's, EVA's and I am sure there have been others.
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    edited September 2017
    Same here.  It doesn't have the sheer physical punch of a 100w half stack that I used to run, but you can't use them in normal pubs.  It's definitely the best gigging rig I've had and the output volume is perfect.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2891
    edited September 2017
    The combo is more than loud enough for band practices as a 3pc - I'm on about 7 on both masters so still a bit of breathing room. I'm still not completely bowled over by the greenback but I'm persevering for now so it breaks in a bit. Either way it's the best guitar sound I've had in a band - maybe even better than the old JMP combo for the kinda thing we play.

It sounds amazing through my 2x12 with a well used H30/V30. So much so that I'm thinking about transplanting it into a head shell and just dealing with the upside down panel. Would love to get it in a thinner ply vintage style shell to match my cab rather than the chunky one the normal one has now. Black tolex and silver piping...mmm!
  • I'm confused.

Are the same kind of people that are telling a guy in the thread about Fender amps the reason he doesn't like them is because they don't suit his style, the same people in here saying that Marshalls are crap to the people that like Marshalls?

Or are there some amps which we should know about in the low watt range which sound great, do the crunch thing well and don't cost £2k? I'd love to know which amps are the good ones. We seem to be only ever told, nope, crap, dull, boomy, farty etc etc.

It always seems that basically people hate every amp and guitar bar 1 or 2 amps and 1 or 2 styles of guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 186
    edited September 2017
    I feel like in the kind of gigs and rehearsal spaces I frequent, Fender might be better represented by their recent affordable offerings than Marshall are.  I mean, the Hot Rod Deluxe/Deville do cop a recognisable Fender vibe, I see the Blackface reissues as hire backline at festivals now and again, and even some of the solid-state combos are somewhere near the ballpark of a Fender clean sound.  Whereas if I was basing my opinion of Marshall on the Valvestates, MGs and DSLs I run into, I probably wouldn't have figured out that I could like Marshall sounds.  I know that I did really enjoy the JMP Master Volume combo my brother owned a few years ago, and the plexi-ish amps I've dabbled with building more recently.  Something that can cover that sort of ground in a package that's useful for small venue gigging could be a winner for them and I get the impression that's been missing from their line for a few years.   (I should add that I haven't tried the new mini-Jubilees) 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Twinfan said:
    There's not really a lot of point waiting for a mini 2203/JMP MV - the mini Jube gets pretty darn close to those tones if you EQ it correctly.  Similarly for the JTM if you dial back the gain and max the bass, although it won't get as bassy as the original.

Marshall will probably make them at some point though as the sales/marketing spin will get them sold  :)
    There already is a 20watt JMP (no MV) catchingly called the 2061x
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 186
    Jalapeno said:
    Yes, but despite the name, it's not the sort of amp people generally mean when they say JMP.  It has very little in common with the 1987 or 2203 circuits.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Who is this Marshall fella you speak of? 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72228
    MartinB said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Yes, but despite the name, it's not the sort of amp people generally mean when they say JMP.  It has very little in common with the 1987 or 2203 circuits.  
    I just really can't understand why they don't already do 20W, small-box versions of both these. Unless they wanted to test the market with the Mini Jubilee and they're imminently to be announced...

The 2061 isn't the same at all, although it's a nice amp if you like a very basic EQ and no master volume.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    2061X is more Plexi than JMP/JCM, but it is very nice if you can wind it up to where it breaks up.  Fecking loud if you do that though, which is why the Jube is so good.  A good sounding master volume and a built in solo boost!
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6118
    tFB Trader
    Gassage said:

Nope. I didn't.
    I have the 2525H head, and i really like it through a 2x12" at volume. the speakers are g1265 Heritage spoeakers. Whats not to like?

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com