Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Should I actually sell my Tokai?

What's Hot

Comments

• Swap the pickups.

If you don't like them, you can go back. 

Sell it and in 5 years time you'll be posting pictures of it in the "one that got away" thread 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Sell it and in 5 years time you'll be posting pictures of it in the "one that got away" thread 
    Yep.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7334
    edited September 2017
    seems you already convinced yourself to keep it... but then again, it is green....
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I would sell it....but that's me. I would rather someone was out there getting the kind of pleasure from it that you once had than it was sitting taking up space. Guitars (all instrument for that matter) are meant to be played...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Stick P90's in it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3005
    JDE said:
    Stick P90's in it
    That was my thought as well
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72300
    Bucket said:
    Yep.
    Yes, but I have a couple of guitars like that too. Not long ago I was offered one of them back, admittedly for a little more than I sold it for - although taking inflation into account, not much. I turned it down. I realised I didn't miss it that much really, because I prefer what I have now - and I certainly didn't want to spend that much money on it. I'm not even sure I would buy back the other "much missed" guitar now, at its current market value - it was nice, but so is what I've got now and which cost half as much in real terms. The past is easy to see through rose-tinted glasses.

I also forgot to answer your other question… no, it's not beautiful. It's just an average-looking PRS copy. The Blackmachine is much nicer and suits you far better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    edited September 2017
    Regret over selling a guitar is unlikely to be a life threatening condition.
    You're a young man, you've got years ahead of you to come to terms with the loss.
    I've regretted selling guitars and also had one stolen but I just try to get on with my life and have learnt to cope with the misery and despair. The therapy helps and I have a team of support workers that are helping me to rebuild my life.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RebarRebar Frets: 134
    Bucket said:
    Rebar said:
    Think about how you might track another one down if you have sellers remorse?
    It would be all but impossible.
    I have a couple of Tokais. They're great guitars and both underrated and undervalued IMO. If yours is worth on the open market, say, £200. I'm guessing its worth at least double that to you. Look at it another way: how much do you think you would pay to buy it back?

I know a bit about this sort of thing, as I foolishly sold my firestorm red strat plus years ago when I didn't have the time to play. Years later, when I took uo guitar again, I thought I'd get another firestorm red strat. It was then that I found out Fender had only made 400 of them. Furthermore, as my mum (who is now deceased) had helped me buy my strat plus, there were some memories associated with the instrument. Cutting a long story short, I tracked it down and bought it back. I'm so glad I did and it will be with me to the grave.

So, after reading that story, what do you think? 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2017
    I know what you mean - my dad has done the same. It was an old Ibanez Artist 2663 (Iceman to you and me). It was knackered and hacked-about but it was his only guitar through the 80s and early 90s - he loved it, and his biggest regret is trading it in. He has been looking for it ever since. He even bought another Artist 2663 a few years ago, but he's still looking for the original one - it's distinctive due to the mods that were carried out, by him and others. I know he'd pay well over the odds to get it back.

I don't really want a situation like that. I'm not sure it'd be as bad, but still - it's a guitar that would be very hard to find another example of, and I'd rather hold onto it, for now at least.

There are plenty of guitars I'm happy to part with - my Junior is going, my red Ibanez is for sale (someone buy it!), my bass is being replaced soon as well, but I think this Tokai may be a bridge too far.
  • DrBob said:
    JDE said:
    Stick P90's in it
    That was my thought as well
    X 3. It's exactly what I'd do. 
    All the right notes, not always in the right order!
  • Apart from the first POS no-name guitar I started with, I regret selling every guitar I've owned and sold. Every single one.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    Conner, can you sell it to your Dad, He'd be likely to sell it back if you needed it, or is he sick of the sight of it cluttering up the place.
    ESBlonde said:
    Conner, can you sell it to your Dad, He'd be likely to sell it back if you needed it, or is he sick of the sight of it cluttering up the place.
    I don't live with my parents any more so it can't be that second one :lol: And no, he's bought off me before but only stuff he actually wanted/needed - he doesn't just do it to give me a break :D 
  • Sell it. Make better memories with the new guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3899
    I doubt I'll ever sell my Tokai and neither should you Bucket. Achingly good music by the way. 
  • Keep the guitar for sure, there is nothing wrong with keeping it for the memories alone and it's not like it £000s sat there even if it isn't played too often.  I would put those shorts you are wearing on eBay though
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Deadman said:
    I doubt I'll ever sell my Tokai and neither should you Bucket. Achingly good music by the way. 
    Thanks very much! We've split up now - amicably, and only because the singer has moved back to Taiwan to be with his family, and pursue a musical career in the Far East. I still play with the other two guys on a regular basis.

I loved what we did - it's hands-down the best band I've ever been in, and I couldn't have asked for a better bunch of musicians to work with.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3899
    I've downloaded your album on Spotify. Having it on in the car today and looking forward to it. Cheers.
    Deadman said:
    I've downloaded your album on Spotify. Having it on in the car today and looking forward to it. Cheers.
    Thank you so much @Deadman! Hope you enjoy it.