Alegree - Introducing the Solar Flare humbucker, the first humbucker designed for HSS

What's Hot
AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
edited September 2017 in Made in the UK tFB Trader
Today marks the introduction of the brand new Solar Flare humbucker. 

A humbucker designed specifically for fat Strat HSS configuration. 

Read more here
Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
2reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Love that you keep pushing the norm and trying to find solutions to problems rather than just accept them. It is a very refreshing approach.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Love that you keep pushing the norm and trying to find solutions to problems rather than just accept them. It is a very refreshing approach.
    I agree it is nice to see a pickup maker trying to do things differently - We are truly spoilt for choice in the UK for boutique pickups.

However, and please don't take this as a criticism - isn't the above pickup incredibly niche? Are you saying that its not ideal for humbucker equipped guitars ie. Les Paul?
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    Love that you keep pushing the norm and trying to find solutions to problems rather than just accept them. It is a very refreshing approach.
    I agree it is nice to see a pickup maker trying to do things differently - We are truly spoilt for choice in the UK for boutique pickups.

However, and please don't take this as a criticism - isn't the above pickup incredibly niche? Are you saying that its not ideal for humbucker equipped guitars ie. Les Paul?
    You could say most of my work is niche.

The last paragraph in the description addresses this. There's no reason why you can't use in a Les Paul at all. You'd struggle to match it with a neck humbucker if you put it in the bridge though. I'd have to make a custom for that.
  • Alegree said:
    Love that you keep pushing the norm and trying to find solutions to problems rather than just accept them. It is a very refreshing approach.

You could say most of my work is niche.

The last paragraph in the description addresses this. There's no reason why you can't use in a Les Paul at all. You'd struggle to match it with a neck humbucker if you put it in the bridge though. I'd have to make a custom for that.
    my bad @alegree I didn't see the link.

Great work - being niche/unique is what stands you apart from your competition. I'll have a look for my next partscaster....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Thank you both :)
  • Power-BeefPower-Beef Frets: 214
    HI Alex. Am seriously considering getting one of these Solar Flare humbuckers. If it were to go into a HH hard tail guitar in the neck, which bridge pick up would work well with it? The guitar body is basswood, the neck is maple, there are some PAF-ish alnico 2s in there and the sound is muddy. I would like the sounds to come through clearer. Thanks. .
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27990
    Is this the same basic concept as the Swineshead A.M.P.? That had alnico rod pole pieces. My RG has one. Swineshead are long gone though, so having the option again is good. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2347
    Sporky said:
    Is this the same basic concept as the Swineshead A.M.P.? That had alnico rod pole pieces. My RG has one. Swineshead are long gone though, so having the option again is good. 
    I've never had them but I think the Swinesheads had two Fender-style bobbins?  (LOL I have a set of more regular design Swinesheads in an RG too!) I.e. both bobbins with rod magnets. I don't want to put words in Alex's mouth, and he'll be able to explain way better than me obviously, but I think the Alegree pickup is one single coil bobbin combined with another more humbuckery bobbin to make the full humbucker tone more humbuckery and not just like two single coils bunged together.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27990
    Ah! Best of both worlds then. Nice. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    tFB Trader
    HI Alex. Am seriously considering getting one of these Solar Flare humbuckers. If it were to go into a HH hard tail guitar in the neck, which bridge pick up would work well with it? The guitar body is basswood, the neck is maple, there are some PAF-ish alnico 2s in there and the sound is muddy. I would like the sounds to come through clearer. Thanks. .
    An Indian Summer bridge for a clear traditional humbucker tone, Magma Plume for Wide Range style clarity, Bentbucker for something completely different.

A solar flare uses traditional sized humbucker bobbins. We've recently experimented with dual Strat humbuckers and are likely to release a line of humbuckers made by combining our single coil models (so you can split it to each coil for access to both different models) in the not too distant future.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Power-BeefPower-Beef Frets: 214
    Alegree said:
    An Indian Summer bridge for a clear traditional humbucker tone, Magma Plume for Wide Range style clarity, Bentbucker for something completely different.

A solar flare uses traditional sized humbucker bobbins. We've recently experimented with dual Strat humbuckers and are likely to release a line of humbuckers made by combining our single coil models (so you can split it to each coil for access to both different models) in the not too distant future.

Thanks Alex! That helps a lot, and your new experiment has really triggered my GAS now....  =)

Really looking forward to those!
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2347
    Sporky said:
    Ah! Best of both worlds then. Nice. 
    Yeah pretty much. (Just to be clear, I haven't tried the Alegree!)