Liam Gallagher - For What It's Worth (Live at Air Studios)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I have no problem with Liam and this solo stuff is miles better than Beady Eye, but still not as good as Noel's solo albums and still just a bit dull. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12257
    Its a good tune, I mean its basically "Don't look back in anger" but its a good tune. He seems to be a lot more self effacing in interviews now too, doesn't take himself too seriously, basically he's grown up.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • Liam was always jealous of Noel's songwriting and Noel was always jealous of what Liam brought in terms of swagger, delivery, and being the front man. They both need each other for it to work, IMO. 

Even then, Oasis got boring for me once they made it - those first two records are great though.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice rosewood neck tele in this vid. Anyone know what model? I first through AV64 but it's got a mint green guard and I think the AV64 has white, the Mexican Series Classic 60s tele has the mint guard. A pro using a Mexican Tele shocker?
    It's old. Mike got it recently. Also a very nice 59 JM which should end up being used.
    Old? But not an original 60s Tele, the pickguard is the modern faux mint green.what model is it?
    It’s brand new professional model. Sorry for confusion I created
  • I'm going to stick my neck out here and say Oasis never made a terrible album, certainly they never recaptured the lightning in a bottle of the first two, but ignoring those two classics, look at each one...

Be Here Now - I still believe to be crazily brilliant, in that it set out to be enormous crazy, coked out like Venezuela and produced with 40 tracks of noodling on everything... and it succeeds.  Everything Noel says when he says he hates it is true, everything is too long, the lyrics make no sense, they forgot to put bass on it, and a lot of it just goes "hssssss".  It does however have at least four or five great songs.  Maybe it is nostalgia but I do love BHN.

Standing on the Shoulders of Giants - Always surprised me people hate this one, yes Little James sucks and I Can See a Liar ("...sitting by the fire...", as Liam said "shoo bee doo be doo, she doo be fucking doo") shouldn't even have made a B-Side, but it's got again at least four great songs on it, and Sunday Morning Call remains one of the less offensive "I'm a rock star feel sorry for me" tracks.

Heathen Chemistry - Seriously people didn't like "Better Man", or "Stop Crying Your Heart Out"?  Probably the closest to Oasis-by-numbers they did, but "Little By Little" is still one of my favourite Oasis songs.

Don't Believe The Truth - Contains Noel's last masterpiece "The Importance of Being Idle", "Let There Be Love", one of their best 60s pastiches.  I have to admit the Oasis album I listen to least but not by any stretch bad.

Dig Out Your Soul - "The Shock of the Lightning" is a great Oasis single, "I'm Outta Time" chugs along superbly.  Actually a pretty good bridge especially with the guitars to Noel's solo career.  

All IMHO of course, you can't call Oasis "under-rated" but like a lot of other bands who got really big and then got a bit less good, they don't deserve the slating they get.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • It's shite, a bad photocopy of an Oasis track. Absolute Radio have been plastering the airwaves with Liam's stuff and the consensus of the kitchen, ranging from the young uns of 20 years up to some older Britpop survivors like me, is SHITE ON TOAST. 

@darthed1981Be Here Now is like The Second Coming. There are moments of overblown drugged out brilliance but too many moments of feeble wank. The star of Be Here Now is Alan White: some of the drums are fucking huge on there. It's Getting Better, Man will always be one of my favourites. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @darthed1981Be Here Now is like The Second Coming. There are moments of overblown drugged out brilliance but too many moments of feeble wank. The star of Be Here Now is Alan White: some of the drums are fucking huge on there. It's Getting Better, Man will always be one of my favourites. 
    Yeah but both are GREAT albums, unique world-crushing things that as someone who loves music, or at least that kind of music, you have to have an opinion about, positive or negative.  They inevitably inspire passion.

Not naming names, but some of the biggest artists in the world these days seem incapable of making you hate them, and incapable of changing your musical world.  They are just pleasant, and there.

Again all IMHO of course.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    edited September 2017
    Nice rosewood neck tele in this vid. Anyone know what model? I first through AV64 but it's got a mint green guard and I think the AV64 has white, the Mexican Series Classic 60s tele has the mint guard. A pro using a Mexican Tele shocker?
    It's old. Mike got it recently. Also a very nice 59 JM which should end up being used.
    Old? But not an original 60s Tele, the pickguard is the modern faux mint green.what model is it?
    It’s brand new professional model. Sorry for confusion I created
    Ah yes, so it is. I didn't realise the new Pro Teles had the mint green guard. It looks the biz.

• AvalonAndyAvalonAndy Frets: 326
    edited February 2019
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12645
    Be Here Now... hmmm. The biggest advert for "Cocaine destroys creativity" ever recorded. Arrogant, rambling, over-confident and just shoddy.
    The opening salvo of the album sets the tone for the rest of the 12 tracks... the track itself isn't horrendous... its just *not very good*. Its adequate - and thats as good as it can ever be.

Standing on the Shoulder of Giants has one great track - Fuckin in the bushes. Magnificent - it roars and swaggers. The rest of the album is, imho, the sound of slightly wet farts after a particularly good curry.

Heathen Chemistry - Hindu Times is OK, if a little bit... contrived. The rest of it is just forgetable. TBH, I had to google the track listing to remind myself.

Don't Believe the Truth - has three good tracks;  Lyla, The Importance of being Idle and Let there be Love. The rest is forgetable, again. And the three good tracks aren't rich seams of loveliness - if this had been their debut, they wouldn't get a second album.

I was a big Oasis fan - I still remember that feeling of hearing/seeing Supersonic on Gary Crowley's late night TV show. He got the first play of the video and it was an Earth-Standing-Still moment for me and a lot of others. The first two albums were stellar, the B-sides were incredible (Masterplan - the greatest song never to have had a proper release?) and the gigs were legendary... I still have the T-shirts. But sadly that third album was mediocre at best. I did read once that it was (at the time) the most returned CD of all time - I can well believe it.

Noel's High Flying Birds was very good - Beady Eye was more of the forgetable nonsense. This new album by Liam, whilst it may not have the resonance or the gravitas of the early Oasis stuff is still highly listenable and has some good tunes. I wish him all the best with it.

Do Oasis deserve the slagging off..? Yes and no.

There will always be those who bang on about them sounding like the Beatles (I ask again... which particular song, as they never sounded that Beatles-y to me) and them being awkward, arrogant arses - yes, they were. I'll accept that. However, they (and Blur, Suede and a host of others) kick started music again in the 1990s - I still maintain it was the last great decade of music, the last 17 years hasn't brought anything like the movement, the variety and the joy of that time.

But yes, they do deserve the slagging for these late albums - they didn't capture the imagination. They treaded water and yet told the world how f*cking marvellous they were. Some of the later gigs were lack-lustre too - out of tune guitars, bad vocals, lack of on-stage chemistry (I'm looking at Gem and Andy here - Bonehead was a better rhythm player, no contest) and a lack of fun. They didn't so much go off the boil, but boiled over and put the fire out.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• I could never be that harsh on them to be honest, but as I said, the first two albums were lightning in a bottle.  I will always love "Be Here Now" - if someone gave me a pile of money by one hand and a pile of coke by the other, its hte album I'd make as well! :)

Great point about Bonehead - he was actually a solid musician, he took over and played Bass on their US tour and they turned into a four piece (very briefly) after Guigsy briefly left and his replacement didn't fancy the gig after a couple of shows!
  • Albums out today and doesn't disappoint. Wall of glass is the weakest track imo.
  • AvalonAndyAvalonAndy Frets: 326
    edited February 2019