What's Hot
BarneyBarney Frets: 614
edited September 2017 in Guitar
And I don't mean with roses and wine 
Anybody know off there are any decoders or whatever to find the date ECT 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72203
    The first number of the serial number is the last digit of the year. You need to know the decade though - you can usually work this out from the model features, but if for any reason you can't, the pot date codes should help. The last four figures of the pot codes are YYWW where Y is the year and W is the week of manufacture, so the guitar was made no earlier than that and usually within a few months afterwards. Sometimes they're obscured by solder though...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BarneyBarney Frets: 614
    ICBM said:
    The first number of the serial number is the last digit of the year. You need to know the decade though - you can usually work this out from the model features, but if for any reason you can't, the pot date codes should help. The last four figures of the pot codes are YYWW where Y is the year and W is the week of manufacture, so the guitar was made no earlier than that and usually within a few months afterwards. Sometimes they're obscured by solder though...
    Thanks ..so an starting 158 would be a 2001...its a mcarty goldtop with p90 pickups in ...
  • Don't you get a number from under the pickups for the decoder stuff?
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72203
    Don't you get a number from under the pickups for the decoder stuff?
    Yes, but it's a lot more of a hassle than reading the serial number :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• The only written information under the pickups of my PRS was "DCSB". Can you guess the finish colour? :)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited September 2017
    If in doubt, Matt at PRS Services can find out for you as he did with my EG  - custserv@prsguitars.com

Edit:@crunchman - mine wasn't coming up on the PRS identifier. Hence, the email to Matt

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14163
    tFB Trader
    the decoder has more to do with woods, finish, neck profile etc etc 

yes 1 would identify as 2001 or 2011, but the next set of digits will help to confirm the year - but as you state a Mc with P90's then I'm certain it is 2001
    the decoder has more to do with woods, finish, neck profile etc etc 

yes 1 would identify as 2001 or 2011, but the next set of digits will help to confirm the year - but as you state a Mc with P90's then I'm certain it is 2001
    Thanks ...i looked on the serial no sìte ..and it seemed either 91 or 2001... so seems 2001 :)
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Im so disappointed this thread isn't one of those weird ones about being sexually attracted to your guitar and trying to take it out for dinner...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jetfire said:
    Im so disappointed this thread isn't one of those weird ones about being sexually attracted to your guitar and trying to take it out for dinner...
    I've dated 3 PRS guitars over the years. I fancied all of them like mad - but the thrill was in the chase. They each moved in with me - not simultaneously you understand - but in each case, relations soon cooled. Over time, we realised we had little in common - we stopped communicating, things just petered out.... Sad really.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11540
    tFB Trader
    Dating a PRS is wonderful at first, and everyone is jealous of you.
    Then you notice that she's lost her factory hangtag and suddenly none of the other guys care  for her at all and you just feel like you're stuck with something of no value that you are going to have to care for and look after  for the rest of your natural days , knowing that even your children Will have difficulty setting her free after your demise , all because of that careless moment not looking after that silly piece of card .

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dating a PRS is wonderful at first, and everyone is jealous of you.
    Then you notice that she's lost her factory hangtag and suddenly none of the other guys care  for her at all and you just feel like you're stuck with something of no value that you are going to have to care for and look after  for the rest of your natural days , knowing that even your children Will have difficulty setting her free after your demise , all because of that careless moment not looking after that silly piece of card .

The first thing i do with any PRS is bin all the hangtags and all that. But then my PRS is olive green, flat and not really much like a PRS, but still everyone always compliments it.
  • timmysoft said:
    Dating a PRS is wonderful at first, and everyone is jealous of you.

The first thing i do with any PRS is bin all the hangtags and all that. But then my PRS is olive green, flat and not really much like a PRS, but still everyone always compliments it.
    Flats fine as long as it's got a full low end. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    Well I dated her ...she was all in gold but very well spoken..dunno if she as maybe a bit posh for me

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    PRS=PartnersRuS
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>