Dodgy Toggle Switch

Genuine question and this is probably in the wrong topic forum, but I didn't know where else to put it. Ok - so my beloved Danelectro Dano Pro has a loose switch in the 3rd (bridge position). It's the switch that's loose, not an electronic fault. I got a guitar repair guy to re-solder it not that long ago and I've had a look myself. Definitely a physical fault, not an electric fault. Three way selector toggle. Simple as - so my question is: could any electronics repair put a new switch in or do I have to schlep to my nearest music shop which is 60 miles away and leave it there for a week? Surely anyone with the know-how could put a new switch in for £20? Or am I going to end looking it up on ayourube and trying to do it myself?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    The Danelectro switch is not a standard toggle selector switch, but anyone competent with a soldering iron should be able to change it for you in about 5 minutes. It's an SPDT centre-off switch, because Danelectro wire their pickups in series, unlike almost every other manufacturer.

You can get the correct switch from Allparts, although they want a lot of money for it.

https://www.allparts.uk.com/collections/guitar-and-bass-electronics/switches-electronics+danelectro

You could get something very similar for a lot less, although it's likely to have a stiffer action. (Select SPDT on-off-on from the drop-down menu.)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Standard-Toggle-Switch-Cover-10A-SPST-SPDT-DPST-DPDT-/252246909694

Where in Scotland are you? I assume when you say 60 miles from a music shop you're a fair way up north! I do travel to do repairs sometimes but probably not that far for £20 :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    @ICBM Thanks for that info. I had no idea abut SPDT, although I knew it was wired in series, but didn't know that meant its own type of switch. I'm about 50 minutes north of Imverness - about 45 miles up the A9. Where are you based?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    South of Edinburgh, unfortunately!

I guessed you had to be either north or west, although I thought I would ask on the off chance you were right in the middle of the Borders, which could just about be 60 miles from a music shop :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    @ICBM Thanks for your help on this. I've bought a switch from the eBay link and I'll take that along to Inverness and I'll get the guy in the music shop to fit it.