Elixir Optiweb Review

What's Hot
bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 897
edited September 2017 in Guitar
I don't like them.
3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I think there is a rule about owning an item for three months before reviewing but I am going to have to take these off.

They are 10's on a telecaster but the plain strings feel much heavier because I cannot get a decent grip.

Tone is good but I do no think I will get used to the coating.
    I am going to try NYXL next
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Eep. I have a (my first) set arriving tomorrow as they were £3 cheaper than the nanowebs. Hoping I don’t hate them!
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    I got a set free as Guitar Guitar were doing a re-string session with them - put them on my Guthrie Charvel which had 9s on and was too floppy - I got 10-52, set up the guitar and tried them for a week or so :)

Been using and loving Ernie Ball Cobalts as they last a few gigs and rehearsals in between - the Elixir I tried before were brittle, these Optiwebs are the same and the NYXL also felt like that! I kind of got used to it but they just feel stiff to me. Sticking with the Cobalts I think!
  • Moved out of the Reviews section - this isn't exactly a detailed review, more an instant reaction. That's still perfectly valid, but it's more of a discussion point than an actual review :)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @bacchanalian, @Vaiai - did you like the old Elixir Nanowebs?

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• ash96ash96 Frets: 61
    Are these the new Elixir Coating? Pretty sure I've just put a set of these on my 335 and they're ok. Don't like them as much as the normal nanoweb ones, but they aren't too bad for me. Dont feel like they'll last as long, but thats probably just because they feel more like normal strings.
  • I’ve done 25 gigs on a set...and I’m a sweaty bastard!!

Feel like normal strings, tension is fine and they still sound like new, haven’t lost anything.

Will probably make it to the end of the year I reckon.
  • @bacchanalian, @Vaiai - did you like the old Elixir Nanowebs?

I tried Elixir years and years ago and did not like either the wound or plain strings.  I would say these newer ones are better as the wound strings feel fine but I still find the plain strings slippy.

I am rarely sweating under spotlights these days but they remind me of how strings would feel after playing for an hour in a warm room.  
  • I live by the coast *cue Violins* Elixir are the only option for me. My last guitar came set up with Rotosound Yellows. I loved them under the fingers, but they tarnished so quickly and the top E snapped almost immediately. back to Elixirs for me.
  • I like them but I've had two snap on my strat after a couple of gigs, going to put on graph tech saddles and see if that solves it.