Stacked Bridge Single Coil (HB) - Recommendations Please

What's Hot
KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
edited September 2017 in Guitar
I want to replace the bridge single coil pickup in my MIM Fender Robert Cray Strat (RC)

The pickup was really nice to start with and I added one of Oil City's Baseplates, which improved it further and ideally, I'd love to keep that single coil sound but add a humbucker to the equation, but that won't work and there's always a compromise.

I just feel like but I'm missing a humbucker for a thicker, sustaining sound on overdrive but I'd still like it to sound nice, not harsh  on cleans and mix in well with the middle pickup the inbetween sound - a low output one would be great. However, it's not just about the sound. It's about the aesthetics, too. Sadly, the Seymour Duncan Little '59 I use in my other Strat is great and would be ideal but the RC is more traditional looking with aged pickup covers and a great mint green scratchplate - the "different, modern look" of the '59 plus being bright white just wouldn't look great.

Any suggestions? Any other Seymour Duncans or what about the Dimarzio Heavy Blues? Any good? The Injectors sound good on lead but I don't think they'd work on cleans.

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30882
    Cos, have you considered a simple EQ pedal or something like the FatBoost? Stacked HB's are always a compromise IMO

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited September 2017
    Hi James.

Yep. I actually keep my Xotic EP Boost on with it all the time (I don't with any of my other guitars, which are HSS configurations) and (EDIT:) I always have a Keeley Compressor on, anyway.

I know what you mean the compromise of these type of pickups. It makes it all the more difficult as the RC pickups are really good but it's also the character of a humbucker I'm missing in that position and the sound and feel of it under strings.

The Little '59 has mixed reviews on here and some think it characterless or harsh but that's not been my experience and I've always loved mine and I'm not sure if it's down to not having a full plastic casing around it - mine has tape/ribbon around the sides (? older version) but something close to this in character would be great..and with an aged cover!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    edited September 2017
    It would be possible to obtain a fatter tone from the stock pickups by interconnecting two of them in series. Using a push-pull pot to engage this mode would retain the guitar's standard appearance.

Other than that, I concur with the suggestion to leave the guitar stock and run it through a compressor and/or mid range booster.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks @Funkfingers - if I did the mod, what would happen to the sound of the pickups when not engaged via the switch? Would they change in sound?
  • Series interconnection involves linking the output of the first coil to the ground conductor wire of the second coil. In series mode, the ground conductor of the second coil is no longer connected to ground. Hence, if that second coil is selected on its own, no signal is produced.

There is a way to ensure that the mode switching does not leave any "dead" positions on the lever selector switch. I know how to do this on a Telecaster. It will take some head scratching for me to remember how to do the same thing on a Stratocaster. Also, although two Fender single coils connected in series will yield a higher output and thicker tone than the familiar five sounds, it is no substitute for a "proper" humbucker.

Cos, inboxed you a link to the Clapton Midboost- that might solve your issue.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/0057577000/guitar-parts/fender-25db-stratocaster-mid-boost-kit-for-eric-clapton-strat

I like the sound of that James - cheers and I will look into that some more.
    Kebabkid said:
    I like the sound of that James - cheers and I will look into that some more.
    Don't forget to budget for a new stereo jack and don't forget to unplug your cable when not in use!

• guitarmanglerguitarmangler Frets: 583
    edited September 2017
    Try the Dimarzio hs2 a la Eric Johnson. Wire it with the extra coil off normally( sounds like a good single coil, but is less noisy ) and switch it to humbucker for more with a push pull.
  • Have you thought about Lace Sensors? Seems to me they'd be ideal.
    <space for hire>
    edited September 2017

Have you thought about Lace Sensors? Seems to me they'd be ideal.
      I had the Golds years ago and liked them and so I'd imagine the Blues and Reds would be nice but it's the aesthetic. Otherwise, I'd just bung a Little '59 in there.
    Mine looks like this and I'd like to keep the look

https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--PfAk4MW2--/a_exif,c_limit,e_unsharp_mask:80,f_auto,fl_progressive,g_south,h_620,q_90,w_620/v1443630914/cn6fk7wwjsvskx3kpsyn.jpg

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited September 2017
    Cos,

My US Pro Strat is loaded with stacked humbuckers, Seymour Duncan STK4 Classic Stack.
    They're not humbuckers like a side-by-side-twin-coil humbucker would be. Yes, they all have more to them in terms of body and depth, but their thing is hum cancelling. They're Ninja quiet and the clarity from them is superb but you're never left wondering, you always know it's a Strat so yes it seems to beef up the tone and the lack of noise makes the notes cleaner or possibly better articulated but they've still got the Strat sound to them.

I ain't far away if you want to come up on the train and play mine.
    Marshall code and Boss GT100 to play through and a really fucking excellent kettle, 2 minutes from train station.

You're welcome anytime mate.

https://i.imgur.com/ZAUFcSc.jpg?1

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Try the Dimarzio hs2 a la Eric Johnson. Wire it with the extra coil off normally( sounds like a good single coil, but is less noisy ) and switch it to humbucker for more with a push pull.

Cos, this is a good option - EJ uses one in his vintage Strat albeit wired tapped to the "single coil" mode only - if you have a switch on one of your pots to flick it to HB mode then you have the best of both worlds.

Another option is a fat single coil, something along the lines of a Duncan SSL-5, still single coil sounding but pretty fat and takes gain well.

• AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    I think I'm the only UK seller of Stacked Strat pickups.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    Thanks everyone for all your suggestions so far and @Alnico, as always, that's really kind of you.

The Clapton Boost was interesting but looking at things, the battery etc it's a bit faffy for me. The Dimarzio HS2 sounds interesting as does the STK4s and the STK6s look good as well.

Cheers
  • I tried the Irongear Smoke Stack II's a while ago and I was surprised at how good they sound. They may be cheap but they don't sound like it and they're good in hum cancelling or tapped modes.
  • Kebabkid said:
    I want ... a humbucker for a thicker, sustaining sound on overdrive but I'd still like it to sound nice, not harsh on cleans and mix in well with the middle pickup the inbetween sound - a low output one would be great. 
    So, buy a second, humbucker-equiped, guitar. [/thread]
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2017
    Kebabkid said:
    I want ... a humbucker for a thicker, sustaining sound on overdrive but I'd still like it to sound nice, not harsh on cleans and mix in well with the middle pickup the inbetween sound - a low output one would be great. 
    So, buy a second, humbucker-equiped, guitar. [/thread]
    No shit Sherlock. You could've said that in your first response and saved me the bother. Oh. Wait a minute. I did do that ;)
    http://imgur.com/J0FF2ok

• Cos, I'm not sure if Harry Haussel do stacked HB's but it might be worth a look. He does customs though ;)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    edited September 2017
    Thanks J. A quick look shows he hasn't (just more powerful single coils) but he has a custom shop.

Seymour Duncan have responded taking my basis for the pickup as the Little '59 and they recommend a Classic Stack.