Strat Trem - From Floating to Flush

What's Hot
gubblegubble Frets: 1737

Hello

My Strat is currently set up with the trem floating which isn't for me as I don't use the trem and often end up pushing the trem back with my palm.

I'd like to set it flush - if this simply a case of detuning, crewing the claw in further then tuning back up?

Currently the guitar plays wonderful thanks a to an excellent setup job from a shop and I don't really want to ruin how it plays. If I did this would I have to get the setup sorted again?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    edited September 2017
    gubble said:

Hello

My Strat is currently set up with the trem floating which isn't for me as I don't use the trem and often end up pushing the trem back with my palm.

I'd like to set it flush - if this simply a case of detuning, crewing the claw in further then tuning back up?

Currently the guitar plays wonderful thanks a to an excellent setup job from a shop and I don't really want to ruin how it plays. If I did this would I have to get the setup sorted again?

No, depending on the amount of pull up you used to have, you will need to adjust the intonation slightly and possibly lift the saddles a tad. It's all very do-able with a bit of time, a tuner and some patience. Even I can do it.

But when the bridge plate is flat, the scale length will be microscopically longer until you adjust the saddles and aslo the action may go slightly lower.

Worst case is a tweak on the truss to make it slightly more concave but I doubt you'll need to do it, unless you've jacked the plate up on housebricks for slide or something......

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14039
    tFB Trader
    Couple of options - do you still intend to use the trem when it is flush ? 

I assume it has 3 springs currently in use - without looking how much travel you have left on the claw screws (and there generally should be enough) then yes de-tune and turn the screws by the claw until it sits flush - re-tune and check and adjust again if required - at this point if you still want to use the trem for down pitch only, then adjust claw screws accordingly so only a light touch is still required on the trem - hope that makes sense

Other option is to go with 4 or 5 springs - some like this as the feel extra springs and trem plate flat to the belly of the guitar gives more 'vibration/resonance' from the strings/bridge into the body - not so good an idea if you still want some down pitch - can be achieved but more muscle power required on the trem arm itself

Other option is the Clapton style of a wood block between the trem block and the body - But to most then either of the above 2 options should be ok
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14039
    tFB Trader
    Just picked up on the comments by @Gassage - and his comments are valid but it will depend on how 'floating' it currently is - Sometimes it is negligible and as such any string height adjustment and/or intonation is negligible - But if the up pitch is quite a bit, then yes you'll need to adjust the height of each string saddle, as effectively by pulling the trem back, you are taking the action down, only a touch, so you'll need to increase the height on each saddle accordingly - and maybe a tweak on the intonation

Not sure of your desire and ability to adjust - easy for many to say it is easy to do but if unsure then I'd suggest a visit to the guitar tech again
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1737
    Thanks Guys :) Much appreciated help there i'll have a go at it later and see how it turns out.