how many string trees on a tele?

What's Hot
Looking at pictures some seem to have 2 and some 1. What would be best? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    None, fit staggered tuners, it makes behind the nut bends a LOT of fun :)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28336
    sweepy said:
    None, fit staggered tuners, it makes behind the nut bends a LOT of fun :)
    Actually I've got a vintage look going, so will be having at least one string tree.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    Just one. Do more wraps on G/D if you need a steeper angle over the bridge 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 761
    edited September 2017
    ^^^ What @bbill335 says to get angle over the nut. Two string trees just looks wrong!

And if you're using vintage Kluson style tuners don't forget to first take the string the wrong way around the post, then back through the slot and carry on the right way for the B and top E - it locks the string on the post.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    One. Even with staggered tuners I've never found you get enough break angle on the E and B, and barely enough on the G, so for me the best arrangement is to use the string tree and swap the tuners round so the lowest post is the G.

On slotted posts do what CasperCaster said, it means you can then use the minimum amount of wrap on the E and B, which reduces the tendency to snag at the tree because there's less 'give' in the string.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28336
    Thanks all.