Want to uglify your Les Paul?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
Then get yourself a String Butler ....

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• What the hell is the point in that thing...? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It improves the "break angles" of the strings immeasurably.  Les Pauls are famous for tuning problems, particularly on the G string and this ingenious device fixes all of that.  I've noticed that it also makes the tone a bit more airy, dynamic and sustainfull.  Better tuning. Better intonation. Better tone.  Looks rad as hell
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    It improves the "break angles" of the strings immeasurably.  Les Pauls are famous for tuning problems, particularly on the G string and this ingenious device fixes all of that.  I've noticed that it also makes the tone a bit more airy, dynamic and sustainfull.  Better tuning. Better intonation. Better tone.  Looks rad as hell
    Thank you for that completely unbiased opinion Mr Butler.
     ;) 
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • More shiny chrome, whats not to like?

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    © Shergold Guitars 1967.

OK they used separate screwed-on string guides, but the concept is the same...

http://jedistar.com/images/april17/shergold_head.jpg

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    I was gonna post about this this morning then found another thread on here about it.
    I think the concept is sound if you are having issues, but I wouldn't be in a hurry to stick one on. Good that there's no drilling though.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Maybe if you have tuning issues money spent on a set up would be wiser? At least a set up will fix any issues without be damn fugly
    The nut angle problem is actually quite difficult to fix on a Gibson, even with a good setup and proper care in cutting the grooves. It *can* be done, but the combination of sharp break angles and a fairly soft material just leads to friction. Metal rollers - or even smoothly polished fixed guides - will definitely make it easier.

They are ugly though...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7323
    It improves the "break angles" of the strings immeasurably.  Les Pauls are famous for tuning problems, particularly on the G string and this ingenious device fixes all of that.  I've noticed that it also makes the tone a bit more airy, dynamic and sustainfull.  Better tuning. Better intonation. Better tone.  Looks rad as hell
    If it makes the tone more airy, is it hot air or cold air? I'm quite sensitive to temperature and if it's cold out I don't want my tone to be cold too.

It would be good if you could get a Smart Butler that links up to the weather forecast for your area. 
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2576
    tFB Trader
    what does airy guitar tone sound like??? sounds good, but how do I know if I want it?
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    "If thine eye offends thee, pluck it out." Matthew 18:9

Now I'm not a bible basher at all, not even religious but I'd prefer a guitar that stays in tune than one that goes all shonky, and that little piece of metal wouldn't offend me in the slightest. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    ICBM said:

They are ugly though...
    And they add to the weight and of the headstock.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    To be honest, a polished hard metal nut with the grooves machined into a curve so both the string entry and exit were perpendicular to the groove would probably work. It could be fairly easily made with modern technology too.

It's a shame Gibson missed a trick on doing this with their 2015 adjustable nut - at least the later titanium version - as well as making it unnecessarily wide and then having to do the same with the neck.

• Still better than the dog's dinner that is the Gibson Futura headstock.

It is my belief that the original Futura patent application drawings were one of Ted McCarty's red herrings to confuse the competition. Unfortunately, a myth grew that Gibson built a few of them. In the Seventies, Ibanez produced replicas of this non-existent instrument. Eventually, Gibson made some themselves.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • It's not that bad and at £35, it's not an expensive fix if you suffer from tuning issues. The only problem I can think of is that on something like an SG it would make Neck dive worse.

On my Les Paul the only issue is the G String, and if I replace it with a wound one, the problem goes away. I'm back to a plain 3rd as I do a lot of bends though.

• fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    Could be useful for studio work.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
    Still better than the dog's dinner that is the Gibson Futura headstock.

It is my belief that the original Futura patent application drawings were one of Ted McCarty's red herrings to confuse the competition. Unfortunately, a myth grew that Gibson built a few of them. In the Seventies, Ibanez produced replicas of this non-existent instrument. Eventually, Gibson made some themselves.
    Do you mean the Moderne?
    That's got randomly placed string trees all over the place.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    I thought the only thing that breaks on a Gibson is the neck...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    Sassafras said:
    Still better than the dog's dinner that is the Gibson Futura headstock.

Do you mean the Moderne?
    That's got randomly placed string trees all over the place.

it actually works really well with a slimmed down flying V headstock

Image result for gibson moderne headstock
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom