Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Tone Enhancing Pedal

What's Hot

Comments

• lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3325
    edited September 2017
    Zvex Super hard on for the past 15 years. I've tried lots of others, EP booster was close. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I use the Mooer Yellow Comp and DOD Looking Glass. 

The Yellow can be set very transparent but just tightens everything up. There are better compressor out there (as mentioned above) but not at the price.

The Looking Glass works really well as a clean boost. It has a subtle but defined voice that sounds great with a semi. 
  • Mooer Yellow is awesome, and I used to run mine into a Princeton. I have a Diamond Comp Jr now but I'm not sure it's that much better for the money. 
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    edited September 2017
    (in no particular order)

for extra colour and grit:
    Marshall Bluesbreaker* inspired pedal, e,g, VFE Blues KIng, JHS Morning Glory, Snouse BB)  
    klone
    zvex SHO (cheap chinese clone on ebay?)
    Xotic EP / MXR echoplex preamp)
    MXR Micro amp

for more of the same, but more transparent than the above:
    Timmy
    TC Spark Booster
    Xotic RC Booster *
    compressor  (e.g. Diamond*)

*Mooer do affordable knockoffs of these pedals.

I want to try the DOD Looking Glass. 

As you already have a TS, a klone may not be the best companion for versatility sake.

To pick one for you, I'm gonna say the VFE Blues KIng, if you can find one.  It's a low-medium gain overdrive with a flatter EQ profile than a TS or klon and many other overdrives, and it has a mode where you can remove the clipping to make it cleaner and less compressed so it acts as a boost.  In overdrive mode it provides grit but doesn't colour or compress your tone too much, unlike many overdrives.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• Quite a bit of love for the EP Booster on this thread.

Does anyone use an EP (or indeed any other of the options mentioned) with P90s?  Many of the responses have been about fattening up a Strat / Tele.  How well does an always-on boost work with the more midrange-y sound of a P90?
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
  • Get a good comp... which means Origin Effects.
    Ive got a Sliderig CD, which I love...

Im in a quandary as Ive just got a Cali 76 CD and I love that too !

- The Sliderig = Strat loves it

- Cali 76 = Jaguar loves it

The Jag needs more help, so the Sliderig CD may have to go on the block !!

Amd it shows how versatile these comps are...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4530
    edited September 2017
    I have 3 on my board! Sonic Stomp, Boss GE7 and a Rowin Boost which I believe to be a Xotic RC clone, on all the time. Very bright and sparkley. All post fuzz
  • Simble Pre Drive.  Nocturne Atomic Brain, BBE Sonic Stomp. 
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Fulltone fat boost v1 will do the trick for clean boost. Moreover it includes tone control and gain. 
    I use a cali76, a chase tone secret preamp and a Kingsley boost courtesy of the bard. All great. 
  • Quite a bit of love for the EP Booster on this thread.

Does anyone use an EP (or indeed any other of the options mentioned) with P90s?  Many of the responses have been about fattening up a Strat / Tele.  How well does an always-on boost work with the more midrange-y sound of a P90?

I have P90s with a coil tap. With the full coil the EP Booster doesn't really seem to do much. It's much better when I use it with the coil tapped to take a few winds out. 

I think the pedal works best with low powered pickups. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13939
    edited September 2017
    Fishboy7 said:
    I like to use a klon derivative for this - I currently have the RYRA klone, always on, gain all the way down.  
    I agree with Klone. I would go for a J Rockett Archer personally but they are all in the same ballpark and with the gain off or on just on a little will fatten a clean tone nicely

• DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    interesting nobody mentions Mr Tumnus 
  • ...and only one mention of Mr Kingsley

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.” Einstein

Feedback link -  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/133389/marshall#latest

• Dickinson LoMo. Sounds great giving an almighty wallop to amp and/or pedals, but also set to moderate boost and rolling off guitar volume for a bit more clarity.
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Marshall said:
    ...and only one mention of Mr Kingsley
    I compared the boost of my bard and jester alongside the fat boost and it had the same character, plus the extra tone and slight gain control. 
    The strymon deco is great for thickening your sound plus other effects. 
    The fat boosts are cheap. V1 sounds great. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Image result for wampler talent booster

=)  =) =) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
  • I put an EP Booster on all my gear - and leave it switched on all the time. 
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    JezWynd said:
    Amusingly the thing these don't do is enhance your tone! They can make things super-bright, or hissy. It is a nice effect to have after a muff or bassy fuzz for variation in sound.
  • lukedlb said:
    Marshall said:
    ...and only one mention of Mr Kingsley
    I compared the boost of my bard and jester alongside the fat boost and it had the same character, plus the extra tone and slight gain control. 
    The strymon deco is great for thickening your sound plus other effects. 
    The fat boosts are cheap. V1 sounds great. 
    Yep, I was just commenting on my surprise that Kingsley hadn't been mentioned more in this context in this thread. Your experience with the fat boost is interesting..

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.” Einstein

Feedback link -  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/133389/marshall#latest