Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fender Classic Player - why get a USA standard?

What's Hot
ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
edited December 2017 in Guitar
Is there any reason to get a USA standard over a Classic player.

Without getting hands on I can't see the big improvement - are there any know issues with CP 50's or 60s?
Are the trem systems not as stable etc?

Thanks in advance!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Had a classic 50's not player, outstanding guitar.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    No reason that I can think of.

I'd get a Classic 50s with a vintage style trem over either of the ones you mentioned.  As @danishbacon mentioned, they are very good guitars.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    I've played a few Classic Players and Classics and they've all been very nice indeed. I think if you want 22 frets and/or the truss rod adjustment at the headstock end then you need the USA Std. Also, I'd guess that the Classics and Classic Players have alloy sustain blocks rather than steel.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2350
    edited September 2017
    22 frets, truss rod access without having to take the neck off, greater choice of colours and, crucially for some, a 'Made in USA' sticker...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LescasterLescaster Frets: 107
    edited September 2017
    I own a classic player 50s and also a few american standards, the v neck carve on the cp50s feels so much better than the standards. The pickups are great too, very articulate and vintage sounding. The 2 point trem is also just as stable as the standards.

Definitely try them side by side but they are fantastic guitars.

Edit: just remembered that the frets are quite thin and tall though, so if you prefer a larger fret this may be an issue.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5405
    The resale value is a little better on US instruments, as is the speed of sale in most cases. Not a tonne, but a little, IME. I don't personally mind that so much either way but some do.
  • johnhejohnhe Frets: 191
    I much prefer the more vintage-like hardware on the Classic Players than the modern look of the standards. But then again, I sold my AM Std and bought a Classic Player 60's strat, so I'm clearly biased.
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    Cheers guys, the truss rod access at the heal is always a PITA but atleast it doesn't need to be done regularly.

Will keep an eye out for a 2 tone. Thanks for the help!
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited September 2017
    If you sent me out now to buy a new Fender for £900-1500 new I'd probably buy an American Special Tele or a Am Elite Strat
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    jeztone2 said:
    If you sent me out now to buy a new Fender for £900-1500 new I'd probably buy an American Special Tele and a Am Elite Strat
    That's not possible. 
  • The best strat i have played is a strat plus. Hands down 
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3616
    johnhe said:
    I much prefer the more vintage-like hardware on the Classic Players than the modern look of the standards. But then again, I sold my AM Std and bought a Classic Player 60's strat, so I'm clearly biased.
    Only the tuners surely?

They both have the modern style two point trem which TBH I find a bit incongruous on a vintage style guitar. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Neil said:
    johnhe said:
    Only the tuners surely?

They both have the modern style two point trem which TBH I find a bit incongruous on a vintage style guitar. 
    Does @johnhe mean the Classic Series rather than Classic Player?
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3616
    crunchman said:
    Neil said:
    johnhe said:
    Only the tuners surely?

Does @johnhe mean the Classic Series rather than Classic Player?
    Dunno, he said Classic Player. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14185
    edited September 2017 tFB Trader
    Same shape but in many ways a different spec'd guitar regarding so many issues - neck shape, fret size and fingerboard radius so how it feels and plays will always be a matter of opinion - Different pick-ups and I suppose again a matter of opinion

Regarding the trem - bot J Beck and H Marvin use a trem on most notes they play - yet both favour a different system and both can use such trems without tuning issues - Buying of the shelve then there might be a set-up issue on the trem that might require a tech to fine tune the set-up to suit you and operate without tuning issues - For serious dive bombing or heavy use then neither systems are ideal, but for 'regular' use that is more f a shimmer to 1/2 or full tone, then both systems should work fine - The system do feel a touch different so again a matter of taste

The USA version will obviously cost a bit more so on paper maybe you'd expect a superior guitar, yet the Mex Classics are not toys, so best bet is to try both and see which ticks the right buttons
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    rico said:
    jeztone2 said:
    If you sent me out now to buy a new Fender for £900-1500 new I'd probably buy an American Special Tele and a Am Elite Strat
    That's not possible. 
    i know my bloody spell check changed or to and!
    edited September 2017
    jeztone2 said:
    If you sent me out now to buy a new Fender for £900-1500 new I'd probably buy an American Special Tele or a Am Elite Strat
    I was more thinking of £400ish for a CP60 vs 600ish for an Am Standard!

1500 I would go for a PRS!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Elwood said:
    jeztone2 said:

if you are looking at a Used AM Std, then look for a latter version with rolled fingerboard edges and Custom Shop p/ups - IMO a better guitar than earlier models - even if a touch more than £600
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Elwood said:
    jeztone2 said:

if you are looking at a Used AM Std, then look for a latter version with rolled fingerboard edges and Custom Shop p/ups - IMO a better guitar than earlier models - even if a touch more than £600

Cheers G4you. It's some way down the line as i've not been able to make my mind up. Would proberbly end up with a bridge humbucker at some point, or more, so the AM standard might be the way to go. I think CP's are only routed for single coils - if it's good enough for Dave Murray though, it's definitely good enough for me! 
    tFB Trader
    Elwood said:
    Elwood said:
    jeztone2 said:

Cheers G4you. It's some way down the line as i've not been able to make my mind up. Would proberbly end up with a bridge humbucker at some point, or more, so the AM standard might be the way to go. I think CP's are only routed for single coils - if it's good enough for Dave Murray though, it's definitely good enough for me! 
    equally a used CP for around £400 ish - and you prefer the feel etc, then you can always spend £100/200 on a set of new/used boutique p/ups as required