Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fender Classic Player - why get a USA standard?

What's Hot

Comments

• Neil said:
    johnhe said:
    I much prefer the more vintage-like hardware on the Classic Players than the modern look of the standards. But then again, I sold my AM Std and bought a Classic Player 60's strat, so I'm clearly biased.
    Only the tuners surely?

They both have the modern style two point trem which TBH I find a bit incongruous on a vintage style guitar. 
    The point of the Classic Player series was that it's new meets old.  So whilst it has a number of vintage style appointments, it also has the modern trem and a flatter fretboard and larger frets for example.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14174
    tFB Trader
    Neil said:
    johnhe said:
    I much prefer the more vintage-like hardware on the Classic Players than the modern look of the standards. But then again, I sold my AM Std and bought a Classic Player 60's strat, so I'm clearly biased.
    Only the tuners surely?

They both have the modern style two point trem which TBH I find a bit incongruous on a vintage style guitar. 
    The point of the Classic Player series was that it's new meets old.  So whilst it has a number of vintage style appointments, it also has the modern trem and a flatter fretboard and larger frets for example.
    my error in quoting old radius on a Classic (see above) - Yes a Classic Player 60's has a flatter 12" board and not the 7.25 as found on the Classic 60's model - Plus big frets on the CP version - similar name on the Clasic Series and Classic Player and I got mixed up, without checking - oooops and sorry - comments regarding feel and tone still apply in that try each and see which grabs you - I do feel that IMO the CP is probably the best none USA Strat you can buy
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Sold my USA to buy a Classic Series. (Plus a little profit). Not regretted it one bit. Love the neck profile, small frets, vintage trem etc. Just suits me as a guitar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3608
    Neil said:
    johnhe said:
    Only the tuners surely?

I know.

I was simply pointing out to johnhe that the only "vintage-like hardware" on a CP was the tuners. 
  • I've played 2 Classic Players and they were both uniformly awful. The American Standard has its problems but it feels & looks like a professional instrument. If I was going Mex the standards are fine by my reckoning.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited September 2017
    I've got nothing to compare it to as this is my first foray into fender territory, but having had my CP for only a couple of days, it looks and sounds great and is so easy to play. I don't have anything else sc though. I'm definitely a hb man at heart! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    I've got nothing to compare it to as this is my first foray into fender territory, but having had my CP for only a couple of days, it looks and sounds great and is so easy to play. I don't have anything else sc though. I'm definitely a hb man at heart! 
    Are you going to keep it SC or put in sc humbucker?
  • Elwood said:
    Are you going to keep it SC or put in sc humbucker?
    Would seem silly to change my only sc guitar tbh

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    This thread is of great interest to me as I'm currently on the hunt for a 60th anniversary 50's classic player. How are the necks on 50's classic players? I'm hoping for a good thick baseball bat style neck.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9655
    zepp76 said:
    This thread is of great interest to me as I'm currently on the hunt for a 60th anniversary 50's classic player. How are the necks on 50's classic players? I'm hoping for a good thick baseball bat style neck.

Very comfortable soft 'v' neck with a 9.5" fretboard radius. Not a baseball bat, but not too skinny either.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76 said:
    Hi @zepp76 Not as chunky as I was hoping for. Nowhere near the baja if you are looking for a comparison. Apparently the 10/56 neck is as close to the baja as it gets for a Strat. 
  • Elwood said:
    Elwood said:
    jeztone2 said:
    If you sent me out now to buy a new Fender for £900-1500 new I'd probably buy an American Special Tele or a Am Elite Strat
    I was more thinking of £400ish for a CP60 vs 600ish for an Am Standard!

1500 I would go for a PRS!

if you are looking at a Used AM Std, then look for a latter version with rolled fingerboard edges and Custom Shop p/ups - IMO a better guitar than earlier models - even if a touch more than £600

Cheers G4you. It's some way down the line as i've not been able to make my mind up. Would proberbly end up with a bridge humbucker at some point, or more, so the AM standard might be the way to go. I think CP's are only routed for single coils - if it's good enough for Dave Murray though, it's definitely good enough for me! 
    I had a deluxe lonestar with the pearly gates hb in the bridge and 2 Texas special single coils. Really good bang for your buck nd no routing required. The CP is SSS under the bonnet. 
    HAL9000 said:
    zepp76 said:

Very comfortable soft 'v' neck with a 9.5" fretboard radius. Not a baseball bat, but not too skinny either.
    Thank you for that, it's a shame I can't try one out before buying. Is there a Strat still in production that has a similar neck? I could go to my local guitar shop and try one out if so.

zepp76 said:
    Hi @zepp76 Not as chunky as I was hoping for. Nowhere near the baja if you are looking for a comparison. Apparently the 10/56 neck is as close to the baja as it gets for a Strat. 
    Thanks @lovestrat74 I'll check the Baja's out, they might be a better bet. It's a shame as I've kind of got my heart set on the 60th anniversary desert sand Strat but I don't want to compromise on the neck, it really does need to be thick for my oversize paws! 
    edited September 2017
    zepp76 said:

Is there a Strat still in production that has a similar neck? I could go to my local guitar shop and try one out if so.
    As far as I know, the 50's Classic Player Strat is still in production - just not the anniversary one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @lovestrat74 I'll check the Baja's out, they might be a better bet. It's a shame as I've kind of got my heart set on the 60th anniversary desert sand Strat but I don't want to compromise on the neck, it really does need to be thick for my oversize paws! 
    Baja should fit like a glove although they are pretty heavy on the poly - mine has had all the poly removed for that natural feel and it's a great neck.  If you have a bit more of a budget there is an Eternal Tele in Guitar Classics (Clapham) for sale and this has a really beefy neck.  It's a lovely guitar.

http://www.guitar-classics.co.uk/pages/other.html

Scroll down until you see the sonic blue "Eternal Guitars Single Pick-up T-Type" it says sold but he has it back in his shop and it is now £1100 (I think)

HAL9000 said:
    zepp76 said:

Is there a Strat still in production that has a similar neck? I could go to my local guitar shop and try one out if so.
    As far as I know, the 50's Classic Player Strat is still in production - just not the anniversary one. 
    Ah cool, I'll pop into the shop this weekend when I've got time and have a look at a few options.
    zepp76 said:
    HAL9000 said:
    zepp76 said:

Ah cool, I'll pop into the shop this weekend when I've got time and have a look at a few options.
    Just bear in mind that there's a Classic and a Classic Player. The Classic has the smaller 7.25" fretboard radius and skinny frets. The Classic Player has the 9.5" radius and, IIRC, medium frets. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11445
    I think it's been said above, but the Classic also has the vintage style 6 screw bridge rather than the 2 point trem of the Classic Player and US Standard.
    crunchman said:
    I think it's been said above, but the Classic also has the vintage style 6 screw bridge rather than the 2 point trem of the Classic Player and US Standard.
    @crunchman Are there pro's and con's to either? I'm not really schooled in the differences of trems.

Thanks to everyone for your input on this subject, it's been a great help.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11445
    @zepp76 - there is a school of thought (that I will admit to being part of) that the vintage style 6 screw trem sounds better than the 2 point one.

There are quite prominent people who think along those lines - like Paul Reed Smith.  The PRS trem is a tweaked version of the 6 screw trem.

@gassage is normally quite vocal on this subject as well.

I've played good sounding Strats with the modern 2 point bridge, but I'd say that the very best sounding ones I've played have had a vintage trem.

It does depend what you want to do with it.  If you do want to go for a lot of whammy bar abuse then the 2 point trem would make more sense.

The other issue is what other features you want on the guitar.  If you do want a flatter fingerboard radius,  I'm pretty sure that there is a gap in the Fender range for a 9.5" radius with a vintage style bridge - unless you go Custom Shop.  Ironically, it's probably the most common configuration on Custom Shop guitars. The cynic in me thinks that is a deliberate ploy by Fender to get people to spend more on Custom Shop models.  I actually like the traditional 7.25" radius anyway.  There is also the argument that it was good enough for Hendrix, Knopfler, Blackmore, SRV etc.