Installed new pots in my Les Paul... Bridge pickup not working correctly...

Put 500k pots in my Les Paul today and now my bridge pickup is intermittent. The neck is fine, but the bridge cuts in and out and seems to only work when I push down on the pot from above - as in, push the volume pot down into face of the guitar. It's as if the pot then makes a full connection. 

Dodgy pot or something funky in the wiring/grounding?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Maybe @FelineGuitars knows?
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    Sounds like your lug could be grounding against cavity shielding.
    Make sure there's clearance.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • Which lug? Any?
  • Think I found the problem. 

Unsoldered it and checked the pot to find the pot casing is loose against the plastic, which explains why when I move it, it grounds and works properly, I guess. 

I did notice no matter how tight the bolts were, the pot still seemed to have some play beyond 0 and 10, if that makes sense?

Anyone else had this?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    edited September 2017
    CTS? Unfortunately their quality is not what it used to be. The shaft is no longer properly retained by a circlip, so as you push the knob onto the shaft you can push the back cover off, either partly (which you may have) or completely.

If so you'll need to take the pot out, re-close the casing tightly and crimp the four metal tabs back into place, then when you re-install it, support the back of the casing from the inside as you push the knob on.

If if you're careful you can usually do it without unsoldering everything.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I tried crimping them but it's moving such a small amount. Just enough not to make a connection. 

Yes CTS. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    You may need to fully dismantle the pot and adjust the two bronze contacts inside - that's even more of a faff...

If that doesn't work there's no option but to replace the pot.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein