Booking a seat on a flight for a guitar...?

What's Hot
How does it work? Can you do it online or do you have to call? I was thinking of doing it via Expedia but it seems impossible, as it wants me to add passenger details.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    Name: Musical Instrument

That's how I did it. I know somebody else did the same with a 'Cello.  (EasyJet in both cases)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    edited September 2017
    You'd get two lots of in-flight meals. I'm not sure if that's a good thing though.

More seriously, I'd imagine you'd have to talk to the airline. Booking a seat online I suspect you'll always be asked for passport details etc.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Jalapeno said:
    Name: Musical Instrument

That's how I did it. I know somebody else did the same with a 'Cello.  (EasyJet in both cases)

Cool - in the past Expedia required a passport number, but hopefully that's changed.

Any hassles doing this? From staff or anything unexpected to deal with?

• GassageGassage Frets: 30880
    How does it work? Can you do it online or do you have to call? I was thinking of doing it via Expedia but it seems impossible, as it wants me to add passenger details.
    It is now JAL/FAA rules that you may take a guitar on a flight.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    If it's in a soft case like a mono you can stow it in the overhead but check with the airline first. It is allowed just some flight attendants and check in staff can be a bit unpleasant. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    One thing I have done in the past- if you've a bolt on neck tele that's maybe not that valuable- unscrew the neck, place in hand luggage, reassemble at other end. Simple

• Nah, it's a Gibson Advanced Jumbo and a Gretsch Country Club. Both a bit on the delicate side so I'm a bit nervous. 

Interesting that easyJet say guitars have to go in the hold and they'll only allow cellos on a seat. 

Looks like I'll be buying better cases and paying the Ryanair checked baggage fee :(
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    Looks like I'll be buying better cases and paying the Ryanair checked baggage fee :(
    Holy crap, Ryanair? They'll probably lash it onto the roof rack :(
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Nah, it's a Gibson Advanced Jumbo and a Gretsch Country Club. Both a bit on the delicate side so I'm a bit nervous. 

Interesting that easyJet say guitars have to go in the hold and they'll only allow cellos on a seat. 

Stick 'em in a cello case then.

You can thank me later.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    StuartMac290 said:

They're clearly on the fiddle.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Gassage said:
    StuartMac290 said:

They're clearly on the fiddle.
    Threaten with mindless violins.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nah, it's a Gibson Advanced Jumbo and a Gretsch Country Club. Both a bit on the delicate side so I'm a bit nervous. 

Leave them at home and use cheaper, more easily replaceable instruments.  I barely trust baggage handlers with my clothes, let alone a delicate, much-loved guitar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Breaks_Guitars

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    merlin said:
    If it's in a soft case like a mono you can stow it in the overhead but check with the airline first. It is allowed just some flight attendants and check in staff can be a bit unpleasant. 
    This for sure.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    edited September 2017
    This is topical. Was reading on the Guitar Nerds Facebook page today that one of the guys has been told he is not allowed to carry his guitar onboard. This is British Airways, long haul to Japan. I think it can be checked into the hold at extra cost though. How does this work for temperature / pressure etc? Is this a big no-no?

People must put instruments on planes (in some form or another) all the time surely?
  • andyp said:
    This is topical. Was reading on the Guitar Nerds Facebook page today that one of the guys has been told he is not allowed to carry his guitar onboard. This is British Airways, long haul to Japan. I think it can be checked into the hold at extra cost though. How does this work for temperature / pressure etc? Is this a big no-no?

People must put instruments on planes (in some form or another) all the time surely?

We're flying to Japan next year for some shows and I'vee already resigned myself to putting the guitars in the hold for those flights anyway, as paying for two extra seats both ways to Japan is a bit costly. 

Hiscox Artist cases it is, then. 
    andyp said:

For scheduled flight covered by FAA/JAL regs, you can take on board.

If you travel first or biz, no issues.

Hold - if the skipper remembers to switch the heating on, then fine. But often they don't if no livestock in the hold.

Mind you if you want a reliced guitar with checking ....

Do not put guitars that matter to you in the hold. For one, they can easily get lost or even bumped to another flight. 2nd, baggage handlers do not care one bit about the contents of your luggage. If you must put them in the hold, then best case available, support and weak points (for an acoustic I'd fill the body with socks. and get clingfilm wrapped. Oh and take out insurance that will cover the full cost of replacement.
  • Ravenous said:
    Holy crap, Ryanair? They'll probably lash it onto the roof rack :(
    With Ryanair (spit) you pay for a second seat and use the name Mister Guitar (or something like that). But you also need to check in for yourself AND for the guitar (using your passport number). Something they don't bother to tell you until you turn up at the airport. Then they charge you an extra £40 or so for checking in the guitar at the airport, but don't give you a receipt for the £40, or a boarding pass for the guitar - but just piss you off and take your money.

If you have ANY other option - don't fly with Ryanair.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:
    andyp said:

For scheduled flight covered by FAA/JAL regs, you can take on board.

If you travel first or biz, no issues.

Hold - if the skipper remembers to switch the heating on, then fine. But often they don't if no livestock in the hold.

Mind you if you want a reliced guitar with checking ....

While this is true contractually, if they decide to deny you access to the plane while carrying your guitar, you have a choice of missing the flight or checking the guitar. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom