BGD - 70's LP Custom

What's Hot
WezVWezV Frets: 16670
Borrowed Guitar Day

My mate has had this for the last 20 years and its been gigged heavily but well looked after.   Last few years its been in its case and we have been talking about putting it back stock.

finally got around to arranging it so i get to keep it for a month or two

Its had a re-fret (not brilliant) and pickup change, but he still has the original T-Top's.  Has a brass nut too. No waffle backs (but no additional screw holes either so not sure it ever had them), no crazing either

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    tFB Trader
    Ohh sweet..  Nice to get some time with a guitar like that... Let us know what goes on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That is cool as fuck.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Oh wow. Gorgeous.

Any idea what year?
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16670
    Starting point is 70.  It has a volute, pancake body and made in USA stamp. Serial is a bit hard to read, it's stamped, but not deeply.  Neck is definitely mahogany, the volute is one of the prettier ones, not the undefined lump on some

one thing to figure out is if the headstock back has been refinished with a tuner change, or if its all original.  The lightly stamped serial number and Grover tuners suggest the former, but a quick look doesn't reveal any signs it ever had waffle backs and the wear on the Grovers is consistent with all the other metal parts.  I suspect the Grovers are factory original and the serial number just happens to be lightly impressed at this point
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

Enjoy - I have a 71, brass nut again, one pickup changed, changed tuners.

Just an amazing guitar - and looks cooler than I do!

Serial number confirms its a 70-75.  That's useless but what I expected.  I will check pot codes later.   Pickups have patent number stickers but will certainly be T-Tops under the cover
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    That is very cool. Definitely get the original pickups back in there (or at least the covers). It looks wrong with zebra!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The lack of Gibson embossed on the original pickup covers rules out some of 71-72 doesn't it? or have I got dates wrong (it's been known to happen).
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    this gives a fairly accurate date - and all pots have the same code  137 7320

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Lovely!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• 4537g? It's a light one then ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice....
    4537g? It's a light one then ;)
    near as damn it 10lbs - feels like is should at that weight.  its the 11lb+ you need to look out for!!
  • WezV said:
    near as damn it 10lbs - feels like is should at that weight.  its the 11lb+ you need to look out for!!
    Yeah. Bang on 10 is good for a 70s custom I reckon. 
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:

My LP 2002 Classic is a beast.. It comes in at like 10.9lbs...  That's my limit..  I hear that some norlin era guitars started getting in to the 15lbs range at one point..  That's just bonkers.
    edited September 2017
    Yeah, I have 3 very different LP's all around the 9.5lb mark so this feels pretty spot on to me.

neck profiles a little odd but feels nice.  Nice and slim near the nut but pretty damn chunky further up the neck.  Suits me quite well actually.  I will get proper measurements and profiles at some point as initial feel and actual measurements don't always align.

i think the bridge is beginning to collapse which leads to quite a flat radius on the strings.  Looks like it's already been slotted to compensate so it might be due a new bridge.

frets are not great, quite low for a re-fret that's not been levelled since, quite rough on the ends.  We agreed I would do what I could with the existing ones at this point.  Some dressing would be enough for me but I suspect the owner would really benefit from something chunkier

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    Bridge is about to collapse? 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12362
    Ooof, nice guitar. Black LP customs are my favourite. Looks a bit odd without its pickup covers, though that worn gold hardware looks really cool. 
    pickups

These are the patent Number T-tops.  covers have been off at some point and wires will need extending before i re-fit