Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

'Very low action' as a selling point.

What's Hot
LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
Always found this a bit weird, yet it seems to be a feature of countless adverts. I personally think very low action feels horrible, and usually impacts negatively on the sound of the instrument. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I suppose (assuming that the guitar is playable with its "very low action") it at least suggests that the neck and frets are in good condition and reasonably level.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • It shows that the neck is straight and the frets in good condition.

You can always raise a low action, whereas the reverse isn't always possible.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    Yeah, I can see the logic behind it; although hardly any of my guitar playing friends like very low action. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    I think it is a good selling point, because some people like a low action.
    So the fact the guitar has the potential to go very low will help sell it.

I personally don't like it too low though.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited February 2014
    Very Low Action was almost an essential part of a guitar ad back in the 70's (A bit like "No Bread Heads" in ads seeking Musicians). I think the internet changed that and I am not sure why it would be a selling point now except to indicate that a Squire Tele/budget guitar has an exceptional set up/fret dress . I am now at the point where I almost anticipate that great players will mention they play with medium action when they are interviewed (example Robben Ford, Joe Bonamassa). Shredders? - I don't know.

Exactly what I think. Surely it should go without saying that any decent instrument is capable of VLA. 
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I hate low action I really can't seem to play anything if the action is really low (I can't play much anyway regardless of action) but a guy came to test out an epi les Paul and his first words were oh I will have to lower the action, as long as the nut is cut well I have no problem with a "high" action.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    What's a bread-head?
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I just take it to mean that it's been properly set up, cos a properly set up guitar should feel like the action is really low, no matter what level it's actually at. It should feel that good and smooth and easy to play.*

*This is not meant to kick anything off about what is or is not considered 'low', just mho on what 'low' should feel like, is all.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah, what is a bread head? 
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7779
    a bread head is someone who is focussed on the money, not the vibe. . . man.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    would that make Mick Hucknall  a Gingerbread Head!
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_C said:
    a bread head is someone who is focussed on the money, not the vibe. . . man.

Imagine that these days. 
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited February 2014
    I've never once bought a guitar and not tweaked the setup to my own tastes in some way at some point.  I'm mostly interested in whether the frets are level and that the neck is ok - the ability to set the action low probably means both those are fine though it is always best to check personally when possible.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28336
    A good selling point for a shredding type guitar I guess. To be honest, I think it's a good selling point generally as you can cover a multitude of sins with a very high action. 
  • axisus said:
    A good selling point for a shredding type guitar I guess. To be honest, I think it's a good selling point generally as you can cover a multitude of sins with a very high action. 
    This.  

I like heavy strings for resistance and a low action for ease of fretting.  
  • zenzeypherzenzeypher Frets: 265
    edited February 2014
    I think it's a major plus point especially if it doesn't choke out or have any dead spots/

My reasons are;

1, shows a properly cut nut
    2, Level frets
    3, proper fret finishing (no flat parts)
    4, Saddle notches are cut properly (mostly aimed at LPs) and Tele bridges have correct radius.
    5, neck does not need shimming or adjusting at the pocket a-la fenders etc.

which leads to a

well setup instrument.

some instruments yes it can affect tone but i've had a fair few where it's just as nice and ballsie high or low. A low action makes it easier and much, much more comfortable to play. I play my set with a tonne of barre chords and lead and putting minimal pressure helps my speed and accuracy.

Would you rather a guitar you can raise or lower the action as freely as you'd like? or one where you can only have it a certain height or above because it'll cause issues?

you can always raise it and you'd be safe in the mind those frets are nice and level.
  • I like a low action, partly because of hand problems.  I often see the the claim that any good quality guitar can be set up with a low action but I've also heard good luthiers say that guitars can vary quite a lot in their ability to take a low action, for reasons that are not always easy to pin down.  So ability to take a low, buzz free action will be a factor for me.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I like a low action, partly because of hand problems.  I often see the the claim that any good quality guitar can be set up with a low action but I've also heard good luthiers say that guitars can vary quite a lot in their ability to take a low action, for reasons that are not always easy to pin down.  So ability to take a low, buzz free action will be a factor for me.

Exactly. I've had lots of issues with Gibsons to Epis but not so much Fenders... all as bad as one another before a real good full setup.
    I think it's just that a lot of sellers think that any buyer automatically wants a low action.