Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

'Very low action' as a selling point.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• zenzeypherzenzeypher Frets: 265
    edited February 2014
    I think the majority do. It's desirable to a lot of people for good reasons.

Unless of course it's for slide :p

I don't know how successful it would be if the advert states the action is miles high. To me it's just as valid as giving the weight and neck profile of the guitar as it directly effects how the instrument plays.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10643
    I think it's a major plus point especially if it doesn't choke out or have any dead spots/

My reasons are;

1, shows a properly cut nut
    2, Level frets
    3, proper fret finishing (no flat parts)
    4, Saddle notches are cut properly (mostly aimed at LPs) and Tele bridges have correct radius.
    5, neck does not need shimming or adjusting at the pocket a-la fenders etc.

which leads to a

well setup instrument.

some instruments yes it can affect tone but i've had a fair few where it's just as nice and ballsie high or low. A low action makes it easier and much, much more comfortable to play. I play my set with a tonne of barre chords and lead and putting minimal pressure helps my speed and accuracy.

Would you rather a guitar you can raise or lower the action as freely as you'd like? or one where you can only have it a certain height or above because it'll cause issues?

you can always raise it and you'd be safe in the mind those frets are nice and level.

cut nut seems quite a good name for a band.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • zenzeypherzenzeypher Frets: 265
    edited February 2014
    We are Cut Nut with our debut single 'Low, easy action'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezuDXPYS9iE

• Loobs said:
    I think it's just that a lot of sellers think that any buyer automatically wants a low action. 
    Maybe, but I'm a player who will tweak to get the lower action I want, and I can pretty much guarantee to get a significantly lower action than I see on the vast majority of guitars for sale in shops.  If they are trying to get their actions as low as they can, most shops are not doing a great job
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    We are Cut Nut with our debut single 'Low, easy action'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezuDXPYS9iE

Taken from our new album. Dyslexia
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    frankus said:
    What's a bread-head?
    About 22 slices in old money.

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1616
    I love a low action. Cannot be too low.  The strings are really all that stand between me and greatness. If I could eliminate them entirely i would

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_C said:
    a bread head is someone who is focussed on the money, not the vibe. . . man.

ie only in it for the dough; thus bread head.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Loobs said:
    I think it's just that a lot of sellers think that any buyer automatically wants a low action. 
    Yeah I'm in the med/high action with 11-52s.  It's not a massive deal to sort I guess and at least I know before I get it. 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    viz said:

cut nut seems quite a good name for a band.
    Until some tosser like me (ahem) "adjusts" the name slightly

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4978
    edited February 2014
    Loobs said:
    Exactly what I think. Surely it should go without saying that any decent instrument is capable of VLA. 
    Not a 7.25" radius board Fender unless you never plan on bending the strings...
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3831
    Maybe our concepts of VLA differ. 
  • JohnPerry said:
    I love a low action. Cannot be too low.  The strings are really all that stand between me and greatness. If I could eliminate them entirely i would
    A stringless guitar?  You're onto something, call Line 6!
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3831
    People who play with super low action must play the guitar like they're terrified of it. 
  • Loobs said:
    People who play with super low action must play the guitar like they're terrified of it. 
    Aha I slam the absolute shite out of mine.. I've wrecked and ruined many an instrument.