Anyone know which attenuator for a Fender Supersonic?

What's Hot
shaunmshaunm Frets: 1595
Ive a supersonic 60 which sounds great but to get it to its sweet spot (volume on 5/6) it is really loud, way louder than I would have it at most gigs. 

Does anyone know which attenuator plays well with these amps?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TAD Silencer
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30864
    Shaun, I am a big fan of the Palmer Pad.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1595
    Thanks @timmysoft ;

@Gassage are they ok with a 60 watt rating? They seem good value those Palmers.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30864
    shaunm said:
    Thanks @timmysoft ;

@Gassage are they ok with a 60 watt rating? They seem good value those Palmers.
    Shit yes- I used it with my Hiwatt that used to crank out 214w!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Torpedo Captor says 100w... the torpedo (which is excellent) says 150w
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    why do you need an attenuator? This amp delivers great tones at lower levels with ease....

I see no benefit to playing it at volume...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    57Deluxe said:
    why do you need an attenuator? This amp delivers great tones at lower levels with ease....

@57Deluxe non of that video is quiet. By the time the volume is on 4/5 on this amp it is really very loud. 

At the end when he is he is comparing the drive channel to the Bassman it does sound close but it’s still up at 50% volume. So not quiet.

There is a reason that I like using the Bassman side though. It takes pedals differently to the Drive channel. Both sound good but they don’t sound the same. You get more clarity with pedals (especially fuzz) on the Bassman setting, even at volume.
  • How are you using it? I’ve done 5 gigs so far with my new one, drives both on 4, master on 3-4, and it’s monster tone. Or do you use the clean channel? 
  • I use a thd hotplate on my rockerverb 100w into a 4x12. quality bit of kit. expensive but a buy once purchase as I cannot ever see it failing. has bright switches and an adjustable level of attenuation. the different colours represent different ohms so look into which is which if this is the sort of thing you fancy.
    How are you using it? I’ve done 5 gigs so far with my new one, drives both on 4, master on 3-4, and it’s monster tone. Or do you use the clean channel? 
    As a rule I use the Bassman channel. Only because I like the way fuzz pedals sound better on that side. 

Dont get me wrong, both sides sound amazing to my ears (though I don’t use the vibrolux channel at all). 

The volume on 3/4 is as high as I’ve pushed the drive channel and that’s comfortably loud. 4 on the Bassman setting is loud, really loud. To push it to the really sweet spot of 6/7 is way way louder than I can get it at most gigs.  
    shaunm said:
    57Deluxe said:

@57Deluxe non of that video is quiet. By the time the volume is on 4/5 on this amp it is really very loud. 

<< edit >>

I know!  - - That was the point I was making! It might have been painful loud but didn't sound any better for it!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • I loved the sound of the supersonic. Hiss drove me nuts though. Have hey fixed that?
    I loved the sound of the supersonic. Hiss drove me nuts though. Have hey fixed that?
    Yes indeed, mine has no real issue.  @Van_Hayden might have something to do with that though
  • I loved the sound of the supersonic. Hiss drove me nuts though. Have hey fixed that?
    I’ve had quieter amps, but I wouldn’t call it noisy. 
  • Don't they do a 22w version?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    I can't say specifically for the Supersonic since I've never tried one with an attenuator, but the THD Hotplate works very well with Fender BF/SF-type amps.

Attenuators are good with noisy amps since they allow you to turn up the signal and then reduce the overall volume, which effectively reduces the noise, relatively.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

shaunm said:
    I loved the sound of the supersonic. Hiss drove me nuts though. Have hey fixed that?
    Yes indeed, mine has no real issue.  @Van_Hayden might have something to do with that though
    Had mine for 9 years now and now issues with reverb noise or other, but this is also a HiGain amp and has a lot of tubes in it so some floor noise is inevitable. I favour the Vibrolux voicing and thus the clean sparkle.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>