5E3 Tweed Deluxe cab options

What's Hot
springheadspringhead Frets: 1583
I'm building a tweed deluxe at the moment and pondering buying vs making the cab. 

If I made my own, my o-level wood work skills would be strongly tested, and I'd have to buy a finger jointing jig and router bits.  But I could go all out and find some nice old dry reclaimed pine to use. Would in theory add to the resonance of the amp, and could perhaps be left uncovered, just oiled or stained or whatever.

What are the buying options though?  All I've seen (other then buying in from Germany or US which would be prohibitively expensive) are one UK based eBay seller doing unfinished pine cabs, or Cabs by Chris.  I've got a JTM head cab from Chris and it's excellent quality but I'd like the Deluxe to be pine not birch ply.

Any other UK based cab builders I could use?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
    edited September 2017 tFB Trader
    I can supply a pine 5E3 cab (baffle and rear panels are correct birch ply).

I have two in stock without handles and covered in unlacquered tweed, ready to ship. PM for details.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• email sent!
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    Oooh, I love amp building threads. Are you building the electronics from a kit or sourcing the parts yourself?  :)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • Sourcing the parts I want from different places, plus some bits I already have.  Also going to make this one variable power so I can tame it a bit.  Might not get it down to house friendly levels though!  I've played a couple of original 50's models and a lovely Gartone version that had a Celestion blue in it, was amazing. 

I'll and post some photo's along the way - did the heater wiring earlier today.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• I’m going to start a build in the next few weeks from a Modulus kit.   Are you building yours standard or with 6L6?

I’m probably going to go 6L6 and variable power like yourself.   Both look reasonably simple modifications.
  • I'm going for standard - pair of 6V6GT's.  Plenty of volume for me from a pair of those, especially with the Celestion blue. 

I've built a JTM45 and used London Power scaling kit, just on the PA/PI. Very effective but you need to put in a drive control (essentailly master volume).  For this one I'm going to scale the whole amp so no master necessary, and as it's cathode biased it's pretty straightforward.  I've tried that with small low power amps of my own design, and with a mini tweed deluxe using EL91's, about 4W out.  Works well.  The variable power in the Lazy J20 is just the basic VVR circuit applied to the whole amp and that seems to get favourable reviews.

Let me know how you get on!  I should have everything here by next weekend, so maybe a week or two after that if I've got I should have it running.

Good luck!
  •   springhead said:
    I'm going for standard - pair of 6V6GT's.  Plenty of volume for me from a pair of those, especially with the Celestion blue. 

I've built a JTM45 and used London Power scaling kit, just on the PA/PI. Very effective but you need to put in a drive control (essentailly master volume).  For this one I'm going to scale the whole amp so no master necessary, and as it's cathode biased it's pretty straightforward.  I've tried that with small low power amps of my own design, and with a mini tweed deluxe using EL91's, about 4W out.  Works well.  The variable power in the Lazy J20 is just the basic VVR circuit applied to the whole amp and that seems to get favourable reviews.

Let me know how you get on!  I should have everything here by next weekend, so maybe a week or two after that if I've got I should have it running.

Good luck!

Thanks, keep us posted!

I've just ordered one of the cabs above from Chris.  I'll be getting a blue also and installing the VVR applied to the whole amp as well.

I'm sure the odd question will be posted as I go ;)

• Well well, apart from 6V6's vs 6L6's we're heading for similar builds at the same time.  We can report in here as we go!

So far I've tweaked the board slightly to accomodate the VVR, plus drilled holes to loop under board wires up to the top.  Got the heater wiring done, about half the off board wires and butchered an IEC lead for the incoming mains cable. 
    Any chance of some piccies. There's nothing quite as satisfying as seeing a tube amp being built :)
  • Sure i'll have a go.  Might get some time tomorrow evening.

• First time posting images here, scope for massive fail approaching...

Not very exciting pic's yet. Chassis with a few bits mounted. Board with most of the wires on, extra holes drilled to bring under board wires upto the top. One extra turret mounted so I can break into the B+ rail for the variable power.

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Hmm, 3 posts rather than one.  And quite big pictures!
  • Good luck springhead. Looks like you know what your  doing with the heater wiring anyway! :)
  • Thank you!  That's always the worst job.  I'm using teflon wire which is thin for the current rating and hence easier to twist.  Still a pain! Would have been nice to do it in all in push back cloth covered wire but I couldn't face it.  I'm keeping to Fenders minimalist yellow and green colour scheme though.
    Looking good so far. I like the tagboard, where did you source it from?
  • Two deliveries today.  Beautiful cabinet from Chris at RiftAmps and a Celestion Blue from Lean Audio

Also been getting the mains transformer ready to go in.  Just a few turns on a hand drill gets a good symmetrical twist, however the wire will want to untwist again.  So I strap the drill handle in place and dangle it - the weight over a few hours makes the wire (actually the insulation) 'remember' and hold the twist.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641
    edited September 2017

Cab looks great.  I may have something similar arriving Monday 
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1583
    Bit more progress.  Cab now shellac'd.  Not easy to get it even and free of patches.  I did 3 coats by brush, light sanding, one coat rubbed in by cloth and then a final coat with a thinner brush to even out the finish. 

Mains transformer wired in, still waiting on the output transformer:

The pot next to the transformer, in the "Ground" or "Standby" position will be for the power control. 

Also wired the jack and pots:

The board is all wired, leads cut to the right length.  Just deciding whether to wire it in the fit the components or vice versa.

So I reckon apart from the output transformer it might be complete by the end of the weekend.  I'll retro-fit the power control board (making it on a bit of tag strip) after I've got the amp working as nature, or Leo!,  intended.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That's looking really nice. Good job with the shellac too.