New Old Amp Day

I went to a jam away from home on Sunday and played through an amp that really blew my mind - nondescript Strat through a Rocket Archer Icon into a Silverface Super Reverb. 

I've always had a thing for Silverface amps - that's what we wanted when we were kids! This one is the best I've heard - huge, powerful, punchy, full of tone. 

Perhaps it it shouldn't be - Silverface, Master Volume and it turns out to be a 1980, but it's wonderful. OK it weighs a ton.... 

Anyway, I spoke to the owner and struck a deal - and she is mine. 

Happy. 

https://i.imgur.com/8Rnu427.jpg ;
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3137
    tFB Trader
    Fantastic, nothing wrong with these amps if you know how to dial them in. Well done!
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hey - whys your 4x12 got dials on it ;)

Nice score, love it!
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Silverface: my favourite Fender amps.
  • Me too :) I'm not really a Fender person but I watched a YT vid years ago of a guy demoing the Peter Green phase thing, and he was playing through a small SF amp with reverb (Princeton?), done, give me that sound! :)
  • Great amp.....but you don't want a gig on the third floor   ;)
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • jacksparrowjacksparrow Frets: 673
    edited September 2017
    cannot beat a super reverb probably one of the best amps ever made.

congratulations.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    Looks in very nice condition - a lot of Silverface Fenders are getting really tatty now, but I would guess this one hasn't been gigged much. I wonder why :).

This one should be actually more like a 4x10" Twin in many ways - 70W, master volume (don't use the pull-distortion 'feature', it's horrible!), mid controls, solid-state rectifier… which is a good thing, to me.

A tip - if the voltage selector hasn't been hardwired yet (it really should be for safety reasons), set it to 260V not 240. This means the amp will be receiving slightly less voltage than it expects and will run cooler, sound softer and be less hard on the valves. If you're going to have it hardwired, do it like this as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1049
    edited September 2017
    Nice tip - thank you! I'll get it hardwired too. You're right it is pretty clean. 

https://i.imgur.com/noRmFYt.jpg