SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

REDUCED BT £250 - VINTAGE GRETSCH SUPERCHET 1978

What's Hot
DominicDominic Frets: 16077
edited October 2017 in Guitars £

Rudy Pensa for Guitar Aficionado Magazine:

"Chet had more to do with this guitar being made than Baldwin.  That is why it is one of the few Gretsch guitars of that era so beautiful to play and own."

CHET was insistent that this would be the best guitar money could  buy and Gretsch wanted to oblige to prevent him going to Gibson.

Many commentators have said it was the best Gretsch ever made.  

The guitar was featured on many of Chet's album covers and if you watch the YouTube video you would have to agree that there aren't many Gretsch guitars that can sweep arpeggios even in the hands of a Master - it really is exceptionally playable and this one has been set up to perfection by LA Guitars.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk8M704NA84

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZF9hkemET0

Please note guitar is very much cherry red in the photos.  It is actually much more of a wine red as seen in second video.

The smaller 'F' holes make it surprisingly less feedback prone and it will really rock when over-driven - the original Blacktop filtertrons are just superb.  Amazing clarity and sizzle which is a rare combination.   

It is a big old body but has the most mellow, fat, plummy base ever and it isn't too heavy.

Very much a collector's guitar now.  This is in superb condition with very good original frets, although there is some tarnish on the gold hardware, as expected. It is quite magical to play in whatever style.  

Hard to price accurately as few are ever for sale, but unusually I noticed that Coda had one for £1,995 about nine months ago and it was sold within a day.  It was also scratched and tatty and did not have the original tail piece, so I think my price is about right.

Never gigged, always loved and still in original Gretsch hardcase.

Serial number 8-0859

£2,100 NOW REDUCED TO £1850 ..............

Chet Atkins ...... "Me and My Guitars" ...... "the most beautiful guitar there was'.  

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I’ve played this guitar. It’s spectacularly good.  The setup is excellent, the neck feels spacious, allowing for accurate finger placement.  It’s a joy to play, and it eggs you on to play more, and play better. 

Love this beastie!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • One of the coolest guitars I have seen, glwts
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14165
    tFB Trader
    excellent price as well - I've seen asking prices far in excess of this as well - a bit quirky for some but if you like a good guitar with character then worth checking out
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16077
    Thanks for the kind comments...
    I have seen prices on US sites at ridiculous levels at least double this but from Vintage dealers who punt a price and take a flyer to see if they get a bite but you have to wonder whether they actually achieve those figures or anywhere close.
    I have had it a long time and it really sounds beautiful .....I don't play it often but when i play a finger picked or western swing type thing it puts the biggest smile on my face !
    I wouldn't be selling at all but we returned home from a long time away to find the house flooded and we were uninsured for contents !!!! ....sadly a lot of carpet /furniture and appliances to buy
    The only redeeming fact vwas that all instruments were locked away in the studio 
    tFB Trader
    ^^^^^ - sorry to hear you are having to sell this guitar for such reasons - Hope it pans out okay - good luck
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5720
    Really sorry you’ve come back to such grim situation. Hope it’s all sorted as quickly and easily as possible. 
    It was horrible to arrive home at 3 a.m.and find water flowing out of the door ......the leak had been running for weeks !
    but as I said to my wife ...I would rather that than anything had gone wrong with the flight .
    It's all repairable and pretty minor compared to the poor sods in Texas and Florida
    I guess "into every life a little rain has to fall ".......good job I can swim !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Bump for a rare and special guitar 
    Hearing is believing
    Its cheap but I am moderately negotiable
    To the two trade offers......not yet thanks but I would reconsider if nothing firm has gelled in a couple of weeks from now
    BUMP
  • OMG. This is incredible and right up my street.
    @bermudianbrit .....it is a lovely thing ......we must have similar taste in guitars....hope you are still enjoying the Ruokangas because that was a beauty ........all ears if you fancy a Gretsch ;)
  • played it for like 3 hours yesterday :) its still my no. 1 electric. And yes it seems we do.
    Only serious interest has been from very high value trades to date .....but I really need to get some money coming back my way ,not the other way round   SO  would now look at lower value trades up to £1200 ish.......open minded 
    Bump for something very different
    REDUCTION to a very bargaintastic price - some of these have sold for over £3500 ( why couldn't it have been mine !)
    tFB Trader
    Just a thought - Sunday 29th Oct - Big show at Kempton - why not take it along - no guarantee of a sale but many vintage based dealers about so you never know - I might even be tempted
    Very Grown -up guitar bump
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    Darn - I thought the guitar was for sale for £250!
    I had a few glasses of wine last night ....not the whole cellar!