Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Metallica Rig Rundown

What's Hot
Here's a Metallica Rig Rundown for the latest tour, seeing them in Brum so cool to see what they're using. 

The big surprise for me was the amps!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    edited September 2017
    Lescaster said:

The big surprise for me was the amps!

Yep, who would have thought?

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • They've been using Fractal live for a few years now, some of the firmware updates have been driven by their requests.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LescasterLescaster Frets: 107
    edited September 2017
    They've been using Fractal live for a few years now, some of the firmware updates have been driven by their requests.
    I never knew! The last time I checked their live rigs it was all Mesas.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lescaster said:
    They've been using Fractal live for a few years now, some of the firmware updates have been driven by their requests.
    I never knew! The last time I checked their live rigs it was all Mesas.
    Megadeth too FWIW. Lot of guys going digital now, Kemper and Helix also primary tools for some big bands these days.

• Friend of mine has a link to Metallica and I mentioned stuff like Fractals and Kemper to him one day. He said it saves them thousands of dollars in shipping as well as being more consistent. 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • The way he casually brings out the legendary 1959 Peter Green Les Paul like it's just another guitar............
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PabloPablo Frets: 38
    Interesting that they use one fractal for crunch and one for clean because it is (or they think it is) quicker to switch between the units than it is for a fractal to switch sounds, especially when the sounds they use seem pretty straight forward.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Pablo said:
    Interesting that they use one fractal for crunch and one for clean because it is (or they think it is) quicker to switch between the units than it is for a fractal to switch sounds, especially when the sounds they use seem pretty straight forward.
    Well historically they'd use separate amps on their own channels on the mixer 

So they've probably kept a similar workflow and swapped the amps for Fractals
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • They were still using rack valve amps at least till 2012, so it's a relatively recent change. Makes sense for touring, since reliability is paramount, but to me their sound has been getting gradually worse lately, not sure if just coincidence...
  • The way he casually brings out the legendary 1959 Peter Green Les Paul like it's just another guitar............

It is, isn't it?

The legendary thing is the player and music he made, not the guitar. Imo etc etc... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3022
    edited September 2017
    The way he casually brings out the legendary 1959 Peter Green Les Paul like it's just another guitar............

It is, isn't it?

The legendary thing is the player and music he made, not the guitar. Imo etc etc... 
    Yes it's just a piece of wood. But if you were handed a guitar that had been played by a guitarist that you considered legendary, you would feel no emotion or a sense of awe about that? 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    They use Fractal for touring because there is no maintenance and cheaper shipping costs compared to taking tube amps all over the world.
    They still use tube amps in the studio AFAIK.
  • Wasn't there a picture of them playing a gig in Antarctica or somewhere with just guitars and Fractal gear showing how little they need to carry now? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • octatonic said:
    They use Fractal for touring because there is no maintenance and cheaper shipping costs compared to taking tube amps all over the world.
    They still use tube amps in the studio AFAIK.
    Yeah, they definitely use tube amps in the studio.
  • Isn't this on topic? :lol: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Isn't this on topic? :lol: 
    Yeah I stuggled with where to put it and ended up in off topic haha I was thinking hmmm FX? Amps? Guitars?...no! Off topic! 
  • It's ok.. :) 
    Actually would this be FX or Amps.. dunno!
    Tum te tum ESP blah blah de blah, here's a cool paint job la la la, $1 million dollar les paul owned by two legends, axe fx with some wha wha's....

Wait. What now?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    haaa.. at the core it's same rig as mine.. Axe-FX II and a Matrix GT1000FX
    play every note as if it were your first
  • Wasn't there a picture of them playing a gig in Antarctica or somewhere with just guitars and Fractal gear showing how little they need to carry now? 
    (Googled) Back in December 2013 they did a gig in Antarctica using Fractal gear ( various pictures and video online) so they've been using it a while. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.