Noisy Reverb On DRRi - reverb pedal?

cbakaycbakay Frets: 67
Hi guys,

I've got a lot of interference at home where i use a DRRi 65. There are places in the house where the gain from the reverb isn't noisy but its just not feasible to play in those places. (so its not like the amps faulty)

I like the set up to be pretty noiseless and with plenty of reverb. Is getting a reveb pedal a good/only idea in this case???

Its a pity as the deluxe reverb is as good as it gets. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    Boss FRV-1.

The closest thing to an original Fender 6G15 valve reverb unit there is in pedal form, except that it doesn't hum/buzz and doesn't crash when you kick it :).

It will nail the standard Fender amp reverb sound too, with the Dwell fairly low and Tone high, and adjust Mixer to taste.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• If you see a second hand Digitech Hardwire reverb, the spring setting on that is near as golly-gosh-darnit too (65 DRRI owner, used to own the Digitech).

I dare say the latest Digitech reverb is equally good if not better - just not tried one.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7334
    edited September 2017
    swap round the reverb tube for one of the other 12ax7s...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    swap round the reverb tube for one of the other 12ax7s…
    It's won't be that if there are places where it isn't noisy - it's just the reverb return transducer picking up noise because it's essentially a single-coil pickup. This is getting to be more of an issue with the growing number of switch-mode power supplies everywhere.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• As IC says, a lot of equipment in the household generates RFI, even though it should be filtered to meet EMC emissions standards. I think it is worth doing some investigation as to where it is worse and what potentially could be causing it. Even moving the orientation of the amp ( in the same way you do with the guitar) can influence it. PCs, even energy saving bulbs with electronic ballasts can generate either mains borne or radio frequency interference. IMHO worth a try for the lush tones of a Fender spring reverb  :)
  • Forgot to mention may also be related to which mains socket you are plugging into, or specifically which ring main the socket is on and what else may be connected to it. Worth a look