Ryan Adams tour 2017.who's attended ?

What's Hot
marktheharpmarktheharp Frets: 89
edited September 2017 in Music
As above,I was at the Leeds gig last Monday 18th  September at 02 Academy....
I arrived early,queuing in the rain....
Was hoping to bag a signed vinyl 7 inch. There was none this time.As I managed to get a signed gold 7 inch of 'Give me something good' , at the 2015 gig (same venue).
Anyway this gig I had an unreserved balcony ticket. I was on my own this time and managed to squeeze in,next to a nice couple,on the end of the far side of the balcony. Looking down to the front of the stage...really great view...
The support band were really good.  a female singer  called Karen Elson ,with a really awesome female fiddle player  (was hoping she might jam with Ryan on a song later,but sadly didn't happen).
At just before 9pm the house lights dimmed ,the gig was absolutely packed out and the atmosphere was electric..hoping and praying to see which Ryan turned up this time....
2015 Ryan was not very engaging,pretty flat atmosphere and was a bit disappointed,but he wasn't in a great place,divorce and his meniere's disease...
Well  this time he came out wearing a custom flying 'V' and just rocked... his 'unknown band' were absolutely brilliant?
great keys player... they played stuff from  Gold, cold roses, cardinology,heartbreaker,easy tiger ,ryan adams self titled and prisoner... there was something for everyone..
One of the best gigs I have ever been to.
he certainly made up for 2015... 
24 songs in and half way through the last song, just before 11 pm.  I sadly had to dash for the last train home... 
6 days later ,I am still thinking about it...
 the set list and a Yorkshire evening post' review are available online...
Apologies for the long post... you either love him or hate him.... I am sure you  know which camp I am in...!
Cheers Mark. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Was at the Albert Hall show last night. Magnificent. A couple of flat spots but he has moments of absolute genius, that bloke.

I actually wish he'd engaged with the crowd a bit more...he's good at it. Unlike Dave Grohl who I saw at the O2 on Tuesday and who (much as I like him) needs some new banter!

Tons of guitar interest at the Ryan show and a spectacular tone throughout

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • First tour I’ve missed since 2001 and I’m gutted tbh. Great reviews all round. Met him many times and even had a night out with him once following a solo show but he was a difficult person who was far less interesting than I thought he would be. Never meet your heroes eh. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes never meet your heroes!
    See if this works ...my phone isn't the best..

• Also could see a little pedal glowing on his board....
    Our very own Dan @4114 custom effects. Supplied a couple of flux capacitor delay's to ryan the other year... and it looked like he is still using one  ;)
  • marktheharpmarktheharp Frets: 89
    edited September 2017
    Yes his guitar tone and the band's were spot on...he really is a great alround  guitarist and looked to be having fun.
    They were a few people moaning on the way out ,that he didn't  play their favourite song....
    One guy said"he didn't play Halloween head" (ryan played it the night before lol).
    for f $$$$ sake ..he has more unreleased stuff than he has put out literally over 500 songs to chose from... I didn't even answer the kid... just chuckled to myself... 
    If you can come out of a gig of that calibre and moan ,you really need to lend your ears to someone who appreciate's great music. I.m.o. 
     s 
  • Halloween heads a terrible song! Cringeworthy lyrics. You alright though, it can’t be easy to put together a set to please everyone. 
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Yeah, saw them in Edinburgh and it was a really good gig. The whole band sounded great but I still have my doubts about RA as a great songwriter. He still does too many dumb, childish things and I feel like he still needs to some serious growing up. He's running out of time for that if he wants to step up to the top table. But what do I know. :) 
  • camf said:
    Yeah, saw them in Edinburgh and it was a really good gig. The whole band sounded great but I still have my doubts about RA as a great songwriter. He still does too many dumb, childish things and I feel like he still needs to some serious growing up. He's running out of time for that if he wants to step up to the top table. But what do I know. :) 
    To be fair every tour sells out instantly so he could easily do arenas so I’d say he’s premier league artist in the genre. I guess it’s by choice not to. 
     Plus he drives a 911. Id say thats grown up. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I was at Cambridge and found it a bit flat I'm afraid. Very slick, very professional and amazing musicianship... but it just felt a little like he was 'phoning it in'. Only real magic happened when he misheard a song request. "Take me to the prom? That's not one of mine is it?" He then wrote it on the spot, with the band sitting in behind him perfectly. Suddenly there was a dynamism and urgency from Ryan that's been lacking, for me, in recent tours. An outrageously gauche solo, that by his own admission was "a bit of a mistake" was electrifying, as he was absolutely caught up in the moment. Top, and the crowd really responded.

After that he settled back into the accomplished, but ultimately rather unthrilling vibe of before, with polite, but not particularly ecstatic applause after each song.

When I think back to the Cold Roses tour, where I also saw him at the Corn Exchange, it's like a different person. Yes, he's had a chunk of life since then, including health problems. But The Cardinals, especially Neal Casal, really brought out the best in Ryan. They weren't 'yes' men and he's made it clear that he found the tension in the band exhausting. But the music they created together was absolutely sublime. Even typing this, the memory of the Cold Roses chorus, the whole band singing harmony acapella, makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.
    “Don't bore us, get to the chorus!”
  • We all do some dumb ass shit... he does.what he wants..that's pretty much as he rolls.... 
    Yes I agree  the daft stuff of scrapping whole recordings and wasting money,but there ya go  <3
    edited September 2017
    @Frankel84.
    Kind of get where you are coming from.. the cardinals/cold roses era' is pretty much the ultimate lineup... would be like comparing original guns and roses to now...
    I got into Ryan  about 2005...
    My favourite albums are ,in no particular order....
    Cardinology  (not everyone's favourite)
    Cold roses.
    Heartbreaker. 
    Easy tiger.
    Ashes and fire. 
    Follow the lights(ep)
    Demolition. 
    Rocknroll. 
    Gold.
    Unreleased stuff... 
    the suicide handbook. 
    Darkbreaker. 
    Exile on Franklin street. 

And love his take on 1989.really great sound and vibe.... I believe he recorded the Strokes album 'is this it'.
    Not a great lover of self titled  album (prefer the live versions,apple live session)
    And not so keen on prisoner ,love the first 5 tracks.(very smiths esque)....

Some great opinions and thoughts here... thanks for all replies.

• Despite being on the presale and having a quiet morning to get tickets I missed out. I even considered Green Man but had a gig myself that weekend. He's the only act I really want to see these days but only does a few dates at smaller venues. Gutted, still. One day eh?
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• I've heard a Cold Roses tour bootleg. Brilliant
  • I missed out on presale  .snagged my ticket from a gal on Facebook ;)
    There is a soundboard recording of ryan and the cardinals from 8th November  2008 from ambassador theatre Dublin.... brilliant sound and top notch playing.. also the bbc4 recording of the cardinals is kicking about.. you can watch it on youtube mp4 ... I am after any recent recordings of this current tour...?
      =)
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3839
    Was he using the new Benson amps, or back to the default Princetons?
  • Bensons

• Worst gig I've ever been to was Ryan Adams Cambridge Corn Exchange 2008ish

Support was terrible, it was the guitarist from RA band with RA on drums.....

He was sulky, moody, no engagement and plain bloody awful guitar work. 

What a knob. 

Id been listening to his first 2 albums pretty much non stop for months and was so excited to see him. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Saw him at the RAH, and was pretty great!

First time I've seen him live and don't really know his stuff that well so was a good experience.

My dad and bro have seen him a number of times, and said he was quite grumpy at Leeds this year..

View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
  • I went to the Manchester gig, it was great, he was on fine form.  It's the only gig of his I've been to so I've not seen him being a knob.
    edited September 2017
    I didn't think he was grumpy  at Leeds or being a knob... s
    If people thought he was grumpy at Leeds this year ,they would of walked out 2 years ago.... Everybody has their opinions on Ryan.... if you expect him to act like a knob and he doesn't it's a win 
    I think his music would be boring if he walked the line like everyone else... there is always an edge to him.... I actually prefer the bsides of his latest Prisoner album.there is a melancholy,heartache and sadness to it... and definitely 'The Smiths ' vibe... but all great points and thanks to everyone for contributing to this thread... 3
    Cheers 
    Mark.