Big Country effects! ??

dealmakerdealmaker Frets: 18
edited September 2017 in FX
I've been trying to recreate that classic live sound that Big Country had back in the early 80's  (done with a rack mounted MXR Pitch Transposer and Korg SDD2000) 

So I've been trying to find a fully functioning MXR M-129 pitch transposer for some time - but no joy. They are all either broken or in the USA and of questionable heritage.

I know the guys are currently using TC Multi Units on the floor - but whilst they sound OK - they don't have the same sound as the old MXR's.

I've also been unable to replicate the sounds with the AXE FX 

Anyone got any bright ideas or anything they have used to get a lot closer ??  Someone the other day suggested a TC "Sub N Up" - but haven't had a chance to try one yet.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    Keep looking for an MXR. A friend of mine had the same problem but after a long time looking, found one on Ebay in Germany for a reasonable price, with the optional display unit. It was still wired for 120V which might have been partly why it didn't go for a high price, but they are easily converted internally. And no, it is *not* for sale :).

Failing that, possibly try a Boss SE-70 half-rack - there's a pitch shift setting on that which will probably get you close.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I love a bit of Big Country from time to time.  They were excellent live.  Lovely bunch of chaps too.  
  • redwedge said:
    Yeah me too. Bruce has given up on the MXR so using TC now. Good but not the same. Hence the post!