Lights!

Si_Si_ Frets: 384
Just wondering how you all set  your lights up.. We did a gig on Saturday with our usual setup and video'd it but looking at the footage I don't think we're using the most of our lighting.

We have 2x4 Colour NJD lights with a controller, same as these:

A Jellyfish:

and 4x Par 56 Cans:

We also have a 4m Trussing on stands.

How we usually set up is to have the NJDs at the corner of the trussing with the jellyfish in the middle, usually pointing up at the roof (not sure why we don't point it down now that I think of it). We then have 1 Par Can for each band members usually at the front of the stage. The PARs are obviously static colours where the NJD we usually have on a chase pattern (the controller has a sound activated one as well but it's too sensitive for live use and just makes them go crazy), the jellyfish is on a random pattern).

None of ours are LEDs so you could cook your bacon buttie on the stage by the 2nd set.

So, how do others setup their lights, and what do you use?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    Best use would be the jellyfish pointing forward and down into the dance area.
    I'd put the PAR cans on the floor at the back to give a couple of washes (one pair blue and one pair Red)? Either onto the back wall or to silhouette the band. Or maybe two on the truss and two on the floor.
    The NJD multi lamps Would be on Tripods slightly out front but facing back to light the bands faces.
    Used in combinations or singularly these features would give you half a dozen moods which could then be enhanced by the speed of the NJDs. Also build the light 'show' during the set and never give it everything until the end.
    Don't underrate the simple idea of a single white flood under the drum throne as a cheap effect.
    A cheap 4 ch dimmer and DMX controller would make more of the PAR cans (look used as people are dumping big lights for LEDs so prices are cheap).

• Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Thanks.. 

We usually have a banner hanging from the trussing so could point the cans at that. I was thinking would we maybe put 1 can in the corner of the trussing at each side, and 2 on the floor?

We don't have stands to enable us to put the NJDs at the front raised up, would it work just as well if we had them on the floor pointing upwards?
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    Yes on the floor would work but the shadows are less natural. The idea is to create a colour wash at the back and or some interest with dancing lights and also to light the performers too. The combinations of appropriate lighting and music create the mood and develop the show rather than just 'having lights'.