Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ok who got the s/h '58 true historic @ Andertons

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• You know, there used to be a time when, if you walked into a local music shop and they had a Gibson LP on the wall (or a Fender Strat for that matter), it would be a major event. Practically, the whole town would turn out to look at it.

I kind of miss that.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334

You know, there used to be a time when, if you walked into a local music shop and they had a Gibson LP on the wall (or a Fender Strat for that matter), it would be a major event. Practically, the whole town would turn out to look at it.

I kind of miss that.

I think those times are on their way back to be honest.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I've never sat down and played with an LP for more than an hour. I quite fancy the chance some point :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've never STOOD UP and played with an LP for more than an hour. I quite fancy the chance some point :)
    FTFY
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7321
    Either way you're going to hurt your back. Stand up and its heavy, sit down and you've to arch over it cos the body is small.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332

You know, there used to be a time when, if you walked into a local music shop and they had a Gibson LP on the wall (or a Fender Strat for that matter), it would be a major event. Practically, the whole town would turn out to look at it.

I kind of miss that.
    ...said Eric Clapton...

http://i60.tinypic.com/yz4ph.jpg
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I kind of miss that.
    ...said Eric Clapton...

Errr...did he? Sorry...no idea what you're referring to.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22730

^ I remember Bell's Music, who way back in the early 80s - maybe even before that - used to have a printed catalogue with black and white pictures of Strats and Teles, ashtray bridges intact.  It always made me think of Bert Weedon....

I don't know about the EC connection.

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3003

I kind of miss that.
    Similar sort of thing when I was first getting into guitar in the late 80s. The local Music shop was pretty much all Marlin,Hohner stuff like that. It was a train ride to Rockbottom in West Croydon or up to Tottenham Court Rd to see the 'real stuff' .
    It was big news to get a guitar that said 'Made In Japan' let alone 'Made In America' on the headstock !
  • Sounds like genuinely exciting times!
  • Oh yeah, then throw in the left-handed co - efficient to the equation. I remember phoning around London stores in the late 80s looking for a lefty Gibson and one guy went into fits of laughing.  Good times!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    clarkefan said:
    Oh yeah, then throw in the left-handed co - efficient to the equation. I remember phoning around London stores in the late 80s looking for a lefty Gibson and one guy went into fits of laughing.  Good times!
    Your Rose tinted specs appear to be malfunctioning! ;-)
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6098
    57Deluxe said:

I kind of miss that.
    ...said Eric Clapton...

Oh man, that's so depressing seeing those pictures. Growing up on the Bell's music catalogue those buildings were hardwired into my brain. A bloody wine bar and a discount centre now, all hope is lost...
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • DrBob said:
    clarkefan said:
    Oh yeah, then throw in the left-handed co - efficient to the equation. I remember phoning around London stores in the late 80s looking for a lefty Gibson and one guy went into fits of laughing.  Good times!
    That was an effort at sarcasm, which I should probably abandon going forward :)
    clarkefan said:
    DrBob said:
    clarkefan said:
    That was an effort at sarcasm, which I should probably abandon going forward :)
    Mine was also an attempt at sarcasm !
    Maybe there's an evening class we could sign up for or something ? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3616
    57Deluxe said:

I kind of miss that.
    ...said Eric Clapton...

I used to go in there back in the early '70's  and just grab a free catalogue. Never saw Eric, although he had probably given up shopping at Bell's by then.  ;)

They always had an ad in the national papers offering catalogues by post, quite a thick tome too. I guess they must have got lots of business from people out in the sticks. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    edited September 2017
    /\ in the Clapton autobiography he talks of his trip there on the bus with his Mum to buy his first electric guitar which is actually an electro acoustic. He lived in Ripley which is a relatively short journey on the bus along the A3. He also went to local schools and colleges in Surbitton and Kingston.

This was a place of pilgrimage for me to from Hersham on my bicycle for a nose up against the window on a Sunday or school holiday. As were:

ABC Music Esher and Addlestone
    Jon King Sounds Kingston
    Riverside Organ Studios Kingston (for anything resembling a synth that I might be able to afford)
    Hands Music Kingston for Farfisa or Bontempi organs
    Woolworths Kingston - for guitar amp options...

An actual Les Paul (or Le Paul as we all called them) or a Fender Telecaster on the wall was a big deal. You never saw many Strats and never any Fender amps - mostly WEM, Carlsboro and Sound City and some older Selmer PA stuff. Jon King Sounds broke the mould by stocking copious Strats and Teles in mid 70s and some Marshalls.

Jon King Sounds was here where Bits and Bobs were...

http://oi61.tinypic.com/svkwhs.jpg

++

@AuldReekie @Fretwired @proggy @midlifecrisis ;; - In a previous conflab I had with Bill Nelson, he revealed how he too used to urgently wait for the new Bells Music catalogue to come and would skip off after to school with his mate and sit on a wall and paw over all the guitars that they would someday possibly own!

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>