Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I just bought a new caravan.

What's Hot

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7333
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Myself and Mrs B are thinking of living on a narrowboat once the house is paid for. Anybody doing it or done it?
    Or you could just live in the house..?
    The idea is that the house will be making us money.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I've done narrow boat holidays, wouldn't want to live on one
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobe said:
    Myself and Mrs B are thinking of living on a narrowboat once the house is paid for. Anybody doing it or done it?
    Or you could just live in the house..?
    The idea is that the house will be making us money.

Which will be less than it costs to live on a narrowboat. Steer clear of boats, they're a pain in the arse.

• I really want a motorhome for weekend jaunts...  can't afford one though....

....as you were...
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• rlw said:
    Why do they always give caravans daft names?  When was the last time a caravan was swift?

I'd never thought about that, but you're right. My caravan is called an "Ace Celebration". I like going away in it but I definitely don't break out the bubbly when we go away in it. 
  • My mate had a small caravan he called "Pikelet". Quite why he'd want to name it after a type of crumpet is beyond me.

• SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    motorhomes.......

sounds like a great idea, until you realise you are in the middle of Europe and have to drive back home in a big hefty van, doing 15mpg and taking forever, with a bog full of turd or something.

I think I'd rather hire one, leave it and fly home.

Caravans - not for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746

The wife wants us to get a motorhome or ideally buy a van and convert it ourselves.

She has no idea how expensive these things are. She's thinking £1,500 for a Van and maybe £500 to kit it out - errr ok love

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• What make caravan? 

We we have an old motorhome ( ooh, must pay the £245 road tax ...the costs never end)so I have passing familiarity with caravans. 
    My old man went batshit motor home crazy over the last few years. They just sold up though. Bought for £75k 2.5 years ago and sold for £36k I think.  

Tragic. 

Motorhomes are great.  Save money on all those holidays in exotic locations by spending a lifetimes exotic location holiday budget in one go.  Then simply swap the exotic locations for Wales.

Obviously they can have the benefit of ensuring your neighbours house is in constant twilight due to parking location blocking out the sun ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3584
    edited September 2017
    There are several yootoobers blogging similar, one chanel called cruising the cut shows the ups and downs. You need a permenant mooring otherwise you get moved on every two weeks to a new area (not just round the corner. So if you need school access or a permenant job you must have a mooring.

Modern boats are insulated and small areas to heat, but it is still in water and cold.

Also to echo Chilli's sentiment. "A boat is a hole in the water into which money is poured".
  • Snap said:
    motorhomes.......

sounds like a great idea, until you realise you are in the middle of Europe and have to drive back home in a big hefty van, doing 15mpg and taking forever, with a bog full of turd or something.

Motorhomes are great.  Save money on all those holidays in exotic locations by spending a lifetimes exotic location holiday budget in one go.  Then simply swap the exotic locations for Wales.

Obviously they can have the benefit of ensuring your neighbours house is in constant twilight due to parking location blocking out the sun ;)

I feel like I should have a witty retort to these but they are basically true. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    My father in law had a motorhome. He said the joy of ownership wore off when his water tank fell off in the middle of Mousehole. The palaver that ensued took the sheen off, forever.

Further, the thought of motorhoming in Europe, or anywhere vaguely warm, in summer doesn't appeal. Much like sleeping in a pizza oven doesn't really.

• Motorhomes are costly... used Motorhomes are less costly but are a maintenance risk...

hence I don't have one...  still wish I could have one.. 

...oh and a Lamborghini too...
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• Snap said:
    motorhomes.......

I feel like I should have a witty retort to these but they are basically true. 
    I would love one to be fair, If I had the money and space.
  • Motorhomes are a bit pointless.  To get one big enough that you have space in it means you can no longer get into the places you want to visit. At which point you put a small car on the back of it to use once you arrive. At this point you should realise that buying a caravan for 1/3 of the cost with the same living space and towing that instead is the better option. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Motorhomes are a bit pointless.  To get one big enough that you have space in it means you can no longer get into the places you want to visit. At which point you put a small car on the back of it to use once you arrive. At this point you should realise that buying a caravan for 1/3 of the cost with the same living space and towing that instead is the better option. 
    Ahem...

It's just a different experience. For us a motorhome/ camper is about touring around whereas a caravan is about staying in one place. We never spend more than two nights in one place. Usually we leave in the morning, go see what we want that day and are somewhere else that night. I wouldn't fancy doing something like the NC500 in a caravan for example.
    Parking is usually doable, it's only really in the UK that we run into problems and even then with a bit of planning we can sort it. If we were trying to tour with a caravan that'd be even worse to park. 

I'm not a fan of the huge motorhome+ tow car thing, I don't think a lot of motothomers are. In much of Europe there are places to stop in motorhomes near where you want to be ( towns, places of interest) so I'm not convinced they serve a lot of purpose other than showing how much money you've got to waste. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • "Touring" caravan.
  • What're those huge stationary motor homes that can have like hundreds of double bedrooms and restraunts and stuff inside them, there's tons of them in every major city? 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom